Fly With Me

It's Cool, We're Just Friends.

We waited until about a month after the release of our album to film another music video. Since we always made one of the most popular, we were making one for “Fly With Me”, and I wanted Juliet to be in it. It was supposed to be about our lives on tour, and since she inspired it, I figured it would only make sense for her to make an appearance. We had started filming it a few days before she had arrived, and my favorite part – so far – was our first encounter. I kept replaying the image over and over in my head, mentally observing everything we did.

It took a while for Juliet to connect the cameras to our pre-show singing. When she asked me what was going on, I simply responded with, We are making a music video. And you are in it. Surprise. I gave her a big smile, and she glared at me.

She tapped my chest with her knuckle lightly, and I laughed. You did not tell me before. Why?

I shrugged. It was supposed to be a surprise. I paused, But, now that you know, you can sign to the cameras the lyrics.

She pursed her lips as she watched my hands and rolled her eyes, We will see.

I gave her a two thumbs up and enthusiastic smile before walking toward the stage. I wasn’t in my concert attire yet, but it was the sound check and I still had to be in certain places at certain times. “Nick?” Juliet asked. I turned around and saw her smile. I watched her hands, Will you fly with me?

I chuckled, not answering. She could see my amusement, and that was enough. “Won’t” was only used in ASL if rejecting something, so “will you” was used when the song was signed. Other minor changes had been made as well.

Always.
__________________________
_____________
__________________________

I stared at the cup of black coffee in front of me. My finger traced along the white surface of the mug as I listened to Joe talk about he and Demi had been flirting a lot lately. I knew they would start dating soon enough, but they would last until the start of next summer – tops. While it was a tad harsh, it was realistic. Relationships between best friends rarely lasted long; even if that was hypocritical to think.

I looked up at Juliet. Her eye makeup had been removed and her hair was damp from having showered a few hours earlier.Even in her pajamas she looked beautiful. She watched Joe’s lips, analyzing what he was saying without a sound. Suddenly, she held up her hand and Joe looked at her. She spelled out D-E-M-I-L-O-V-A-T-O and raised her eyebrows to show question. Joe nodded, quickly finding a picture of her to show Juliet. She looked impressed. While Demi was a beautiful, talented, nice girl, she and Joe didn’t really fit together. Maybe a few years ago, when they first met, but now they were both capable of getting someone better for each.

Catching Juliet’s eye, I nodded toward the bunks. She nodded once before sliding out over Kevin and walking with me. I followed after her, only sliding past Joe. I poured the remains of my coffee in the sink, walking closely behind her. She walked passed the bunks and into the sitting area; without hesitation, I sat next to her. We should talk. She pulled her knees up to her chest.

About what? I asked, eyeing her curiously.

Boys.

I scoffed audibly, but, of course, she couldn’t hear me. I talked with Maya about boys sometimes, and it’s odd hearing what girls have to say about the opposite gender. She usually talked to Juliet about it, and me when we got in touch. Hopefully, Juliet would have a little bit more sense. Fine. What is going on?

She laughed out loud. I was only joking. But we can, if you want to.

I shook my head, relieved. Not really. I leaned back against the couch, looking at her. Anything else?

We talked about everything and anything one of us could think of. We stayed up into the early hours of the morning, laughing at incorrect hand gestures, which were like slips of the tongue to Juliet. It was good to be able to laugh, and to get her to laugh. I was worried for her mental health – she scared me sometimes.

I glanced at the clock and read that it was 2:10. Juliet must’ve followed my eyes, because she sighed. Bed. she said.

I nodded and rubbed my eyes. She stood up, and I after her. I turned the light off, waiting for my eyes as I slowly shuffled down the narrow aisle. The front of my body bumped into Juliet’s, and I blushed. “Sorry,” I whispered automatically. I subconsciously set my hand on her hip, and she jumped and giggled. Her hand folded over mine, and I blushed again. I kept making involuntary moves on her, and it was embarrassing.

We continued along the aisle until we made it to our bunks. Juliet slid into hers with ease and turned with her back facing me. As she got in, Joe got down. “Joe,” I hissed. “Joe!”

He turned to me groggily, “What?” he whispered angrily.

I stood up, matching his height. “I was, like, making moves on Juliet, and I don’t know what she’ll think.”

“Why is that a problem?” he asked, rather loudly. I didn’t know why I was so afraid of Juliet hearing. “You like her, don’t you?”

“What?” I asked in disbelief. “I don’t like Juliet.” I said it slowly, and it came out as more of a question than a fact.

“You don’t?” he asked. He let out a low whistle, “Wow. I would’ve never guessed that. You guys are always all over each other. You sure?”

I scratched the back of my head. “Yeah, I’m sure. I mean, yeah. We’re just friends.”

Joe walked passed me, and I sat on my bunk. “We’re just friends.” I repeated to myself. The next part came out without my permission. “Right?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Please excuse any mistakes or typos. I'm having one of those I-can't-type days.

Check out my new story? Something Unpredictable.