This Is for Real, This Time I Mean It

1

“I don’t know, I’m just so fucking sick of this homecoming shit!”
“Hey! I don’t have a date either!”
“But how many people have you asked?”
“None, actually I’m looking for someone to ask right now…”
“Three people I asked! 3 Ray!”
“And?”
“All of them had dates! I’m getting ready to fucking as Bert!”
“Ew,”
Ray’s eyes drifted around the bland hallways, obviously looking for who ever it was he was planning on asking.
After realizing there wasn’t much help to be found in his friend, Gerard came to the conclusion that it was getting close to class and he had better go put away his Tupperware dish from lunch before he ended up having to walk to class with it.

Later that day he would find out that a close friend of his had asked Bert, his last resort. After throwing a fit because that meant he was the only one in his group of friends without a date, he had made a mistake of saying “For God’s sake! Im about ready to ask Adam to go with me!” To which his friend had replied to with “I think you should.”

Adam was Gerard’s ex. They had met each other camping, and 2 days after the intial asking out, both of them had to leave to go home. About a week into the relationship, Gerard had broken it off. Not being exactly sure why, but had said it was because he had stopped getting excited by Adam’s nightly phone calls and all of his cheesy comments of ‘Hello sunshine’ and ‘I have the best boyfriend in the world,’ In truth, Gerard had a hard time realizing that Adam truly did care. In his previous relationship, he hadn’t talked to the boy more than once a week.

When he had called Adam a week later after breaking up, it had been because Gerard had said he really did still want to be friends and they hadn’t talked since that night. Therefore, when Adam had told him he had been waiting for Gerard to call and that he missed Gerard’s laugh, Gerard couldn’t help but be slightly annoyed. It had been hard breaking up with him, hell, Gerard had almost cried on the phone. His friends were aware of the boy’s comments, Gerard had filled them in saying that he had found them pathetic, when in truth while they did slightly annoy him, it made Gerard happy to know that Adam hadn’t completely forgot about him.

It wasn’t as if Adam was ugly either, no, he was certainly gorgeous. His brown hair was the first thing Gerard had noticed; Adam’s constant smile and chocolate brown eyes had been the next.

Gerard had definitely thought of asking the boy, but wasn’t sure how well it would work. What if Adam had already found someone else? He had told Gerard while they were going out that many people had been hitting on him. Or, what if Adam thought that it was Gerard’s way of saying ‘I’m sorry we broke up, will you go back out with me again?’ which was far from what Gerard thought it was. In his mind, it was that he needed a date to homecoming, everyone he had asked out had dates, so why not ask Adam? Yes. That was it exactly. But what if Gerard fucked up? What if he kissed Adam? He was aware the urge would most likely be there. But how would he stop it?