Status: Oneshot//Finished

Cry Tough

1/1

"Oh shit." Bobby said as there was an loud crash from behind me, I let out a sigh and grimaced before I bit my lip nervously and turned around to see C.C.'s guitar lying on the ground with its strings broken.

"Oh fuck." I muttered as I brushed my blonde hair out of my face, this could NOT be happening! We already were eating week old cheerio's off the floor in the Laundromat to survive because we had shit all, but those strings, they need to be replaced, and in order for them to be replaced we needed to have money.

"Do you think he's going to be mad?" Bobby asked me nervously then bit his lip and shook his head then picked up the guitar gingerly. Did I think he was going to be mad? I didn't think he was going to be mad I knew that he was going to be PISSED.

"He might be a little mad." I said quietly as Bobby carefully stood the guitar up then flinched again as we heard voices in the back arguing followed by a door slamming. That only meant one thing. Rikki and C.C. were fightening. . . again. Sure we all fought and I don't think you could blame us, I mean we had shit all; we were bound to get a little edgy, after a few days of eating cheerio's off the floor. Trust me they weren't the tastiest things ever, far from it actually.

"That's it! I quit! Michael's I'm through with you and Rockett! I'm done! I'm fuckin. ." C.C. yelled and he stomped down the little hallway I guess you could call it to where we were spending another boring ass night. He broke off mid-sentence when he saw the strings on his guitar hanging down limply. "Who did this? Who fucked with my guitar?!? When I find out who did this I'm going to fucking murder them!" He roared, shooting a glance at me then to Bobby who's eyes were darting around nervously, the clack of footsteps came from the same place where CC's had come from as he dashed forward to look at his precious guitar.

"Well, well, CC can't take care of his own shit yet he bitches at everyone to clean up after themselves. I'd like to say I'm sorry to see you go but that'd be a lie and my mama always told me not to lie." Rikki said slyly making CC look up in rage.

"Your mama's head is gonna spin after I'm through with you." CC snarled threateningly as he finished examining his guitar and stood up, I held back a groan, a typical day at the landraymat. Fuck up majorly at a gig, come back, fight and bitch at each other, have someone threaten to quit, make up, try and write some half decent shit, end up getting boozed and passing out and repeat. Isn't that a great life style, please feel free to note the sarcasm. Bobby and I exchanged a hopeless glance as CC took and Rikki stood nose to nose with each other.

"Guys is there a possibility that we can stop the bitching at each other for like five minutes and maybe come up with something half-decent? Pretty please?" I begged, we had no NEEDED to come up with something decent because personally I don't think that I could handle eating anymore cheerio’s off the floor. In fact I never wanted to see a cheerio EVER AGAIN. That sure as hell got CC's and Rikki's attention, they stopped glaring at each other for maybe five seconds to look at me and laugh hysterically.

"Your the singer, maybe you should come up with something half-decent." CC's replied icily then turned his attention back to Rikki who was still glaring at me in disbelief.

"Listen man as much as it scares me to say this, but I gotta agree with CC on this, we've all been pulling our weight, well except you. And well maybe it's your turn to come up with something." Rikki said gently, like he was trying to break it to a child. I felt my temper flare. I wasn't pulling my weight? I hadn't fucked up tonight's gig CC! Oh shit did that slip out, I didn't mean, yeah fucking right. We all knew that CC wanted to be in the spotlight, ALL THE TIME and he could have his chance, when we came up with something decent.

"Guys, you can't just blame Bret, maybe it's because you guys are bitching at each other all the time and that's why we can't come up with something." Bobby protested shaking his black hair out of his face for what seemed like the millionth time in a minute. "Or maybe it's these damn cheerio’s" He added disgustedly after a moment of looking at the ground. That lightened up the mood greatly count on Bobby to do that. Rikki let out a slight chuckle while CC cocked his eyebrow and gave him a weird look.

"Ah what the hell, it's not like we're doin' anythin' or anyone tonight." Rikki said after a moment then turned to CC "Whaddya say?" He asked as he pulled his eyebrows together in a weak attempt to mimic CC.

"I'd love to but my guitar's busted." CC said lamely as Bobby shook his head furiously, and we were back to the asshole CC the one that made fucking excuses for EVERYTHING. Fuck, no contest CC pissed me off the most in the group, and if I had it my way he would've been thrown out on his ass long ago, but no Rikki and Bobby thought that he'd be good for the band. That a guy that could play the guitar like that had to be good a something. Well he was good at something. Being a fucking pain in my ass. I bet that Rikki and Bobby were both regretting that decision now. Personally I liked that other guitarist with the funny name, oh dammit what was it. Slash! That was it, I liked him, I mean the way he played that guitar, wow. Now that was a guitar player, but no Rikki and Bobby didn't want him because he didn't like the whole glam metal look. Well who gave a damn, if we were even remotely famous it wouldn't matter how we looked and it probably never would. I mean rock is about the music, the PASSION and Slash had that passion and well CC. . . . Don't even start me.

"Only one string is, come up with some fancy-ass riff using the remaining strings." Rikki pointed out, I watched in amusement as CC's face turned blood red, oooh he was not happy and red was so not his color, especially with his ugly ass hair and that thing, oh what would you call it, his face? I mean I know that I’m no walk in the park but please at least I could sing, sure he could play guitar but so could I! Even if it was acoustic . . . oh who gives a shit!

"No! That would be a sin to rock music! And I already told you I quit!" CC shouted at Rikki who just shrugged and turned away from him, I hid a grin, I knew a way to make CC stay, it wouldn't be pretty but it would work and that's what we needed.

"Well a GOOD guitarist could come up with a catchy riff easily, even with five strings." I started, by saying that I was heading into dangerous territory, pissing off CC was probably not a smart thing unless you had a death wish of course. I winked at Bobby’s, whose eyes had grown huge, then a smirk spread across his face, he knew where I was going, as well. "Does that mean you're not a good guitarist?" I asked innocently as a wide grin spread across his face. CC's face turned a very unattractive shade of red as he turned to glare at me, I gave him a completely innocent look, or as innocent as I could manage as I heard footsteps in the back. Thank God that could only mean one thing.

"Bret's gotta point, that other guitarist Slash or whatever I bet you he could come up with a catchy riff, and I think I've got his phone number floating around somewhere." Rikki said as he caught on with what I was trying (and succeeding) in doing.

“You guys can’t kick me out of the band!” C.C. protested as the clacking of footsteps grew louder, Bobby and I shared a glance while Rikki decided to answer his question.

“You said you quit the band, remember?” He answered knowing that CC was caught between a rock and a very hard place. CC looked around the room, sighed in defeat and then started to grumble to himself.

“Fine, I’ll stay with you losers.” He said after a moment and then picked up his guitar, giving us all a very unhappy look.

“Get over it.” Rikki said with a smirk and then winced as CC played a very out-of-tune guitar riff.

“Brreeattt.” A voice called my name from the little hallway behind CC, who was attempting to tune his guitar. Mentally I swore, I really did not want to see her right now, sure she was my girlfriend but ugh, it’s hard to explain and I’m not in the mood to explain anything. At all. I heard Bobby chuckle and CC hiss “skank” under his breath. Ass. I plastered that fake smile on my face and hoped like hell she would believe it because if she didn’t well then tonight would last longer than it already had.

“Hey baby.” I said casually as I walked towards Maria, she was one of the tall, long legged groupies with the bleached blonde hair and so skinny it looked like you could break them if you hit them too hard. CC as you already knew thought she was a skank, and that I should just dump her. Well of course CC could go and suck it. She wasn’t just one of those stupid groupies though who only wanted sex, she was MY girlfriend, and meant a lot to me, more than CC did for sure.

“You guys did great tonight!” She told me then looked at CC who was sitting on the floor plucking on his guitar strings and looking up her skirt. “I see that you still haven’t thrown this thing out.” She added crisply after a moment and then I’m sure “accidently” stepped on his foot, with her high heels.

“Yeah, we’ve gotta keep the stray a little longer.” Rikki answered dryly earning a dagger look from CC who was in pain on the floor as Maria wrapped her arms around my neck.

“Too bad he’s here. If he wasn’t we could have a little fun tonight.” She whispered in my ear her warm breath on my neck.

“Yeah, too bad.” I replied softly as her lips found mine, they were warm and they meshed into mine and she eagerly pressed her body against mine.

“Hey, hands off each other we were trying to come up with something half decent to play.” Bobby called to us, Maria grinded into me and we continued to ignore him. “HANDS OFF DAMMIT!” He roared after a moment, we broke apart, surprised; Bobby wasn’t exactly the loud and easily pissed off one. He was more of the calm, cool and collected one, or at least to an extent. Loud and easily pissed off sounded like CC, in fact those were probably synonyms for each other. Maria winked at me then unwrapped her arms from my neck.

“Fine, me and Maria can work on something in that room” I said pointing to the backroom while Rikki laughed at me.

“Yeah, whatever, plus we’re still waiting for the amazing CC to come up with some decent guitar riff, but you better be working.” Rikki answered as he looked at CC to me and then to Maria.

“You know us, all work and no play.” I answered with a laugh as I casually slung my arm around Maria’s waist and led her back to the room. Rikki and Bobby were both hooting with laughter at something while I sat down on the cold floor, Maria gave me a soft smile as she sat down next to me and rested her head on my chest. “You’re tired, go to sleep.” I told her as her eyes fluttered shut. She was just about to fall asleep when CC’s guitar riff ran through the building, I recognized that damn riff it was the same one that he had been playing for days upon end now. The one he would play carelessly whenever he refused to play a song that we had written. “I’m going to fucking murder that stupid son of a-“ I started but Maria hushed me.

“Bret baby you gotta calm down for heaven’s sakes. You’re never going to write anything half decent if you’re pissed off at CC all the time. You gotta cry tough.” She told me, I jerked up and she looked at me in surprise. “What?” She asked but I just shook my head and stood up, then ran from the room. “Jesus Christ Bret, what the hell is going on?” Maria called from behind me but I ignored her. As I burst into the room CC, Bobby and Rikki all stopped and stared at me.

“What the hell is your problem?” CC asked after a moment of looking at my face.

“Yeah did you come up with something already?” Rikki asked me with a laugh as Bobby let out a snicker.

“A little bit of something.” I answered curtly, that got their attention.

“Well then let’s hear it already!” Bobby said excitedly rocking back and forth.

“You gotta cry tough.” I said simply as both Rikki and CC let out a groan, “what? You said come up with something so I did.” I answered while CC rolled his eyes at me.

“Yeah we said something! Not nothing! This isn’t going to help us shit all.” He roared at me while Bobby flinched, he didn’t like us yelling and screaming at each other, hell I don’t blame him either!

“Not really. It could be something.” Rikki said half-heartedly.

“Out on the streets.” Bobby said softly making us all look at him.

“What did you just say?” CC asked with a hopeless expression on his face while both me and Rikki leaned forward.

“You gotta cry tough out on the street.” Bobby said looking at us. Yes! YES! This was the break that we’d been looking for! And it was all thanks to . . .oh shit! Thinking of Maria made me remember that she actually was here, but where? I looked around frantically while CC was just jammin’ out on his guitar, she was no-where to be found and mentally I cursed. Stupid stupid idiot, of course I forget about her. FUCK.

“Bret? You gonna come and practice with us?” Rikki asked as CC let out a face melting riff and Bobby just rolled his eyes.

“Yeah, sure.” I replied lamely as I turned around to face him, pasting that stupid fake smile on my face.

***
One Year Later
***

“We are POISON!!” CC screamed into the mic, resulting in cheer’s from the crowd, I was still in awe by then and even when Bobby dragged me off the stage. I still couldn’t believe it, that we had made it big, still, I mean it was just unbelievable. One day were eating cheerio’s off the floor to survive and the next day we’ve got so much food that it looked as though we had gone to heaven!

“Can you believe that we made it? That we actually made it?” Rikki screeched as reporters and photographers swarmed us, shouting our names and all that good stuff.

“Nope.” CC answered as me and him shared a smirk. Sure we weren’t the best of friends now but we could handle each other, so it was bearable, actually that’s a lie me and CC had a good thing going on there. And as for Maria, I hadn’t seen her since the day that she gave me the idea for Cry Tough once or twice I had tried to track her down but there was no luck. Overall though, tour was good, we had some kickass singles and most importantly we were all getting along.

“Mr. Michael’s what do you have to say to all those other bands out there that are trying to make it??” A reporter called to me, I don’t know how I heard that, the whole time it was just a mass of voices and people calling to me along with the added flashes of camera’s every now and then. I stopped right there and turned to face the reporter.

“To all those bands out there that are trying to make it. That are eating cheerio’s off the floor to live, that are living in some dirty old cellar that smells like shit.” I started as CC stopped and came back to me then looked and stopped me in mid-sentence.

“To those bands that aren’t just trying to make it big but trying to survive as well.” Rikki jumped in from out of no-where.

“To those bands who don’t see music as a hobby but as a way of life.” Bobby chipped in from behind CC.

“To those bands we salute you.” CC finished looking at each of us in the eyes and a sly smile spread across his face.

“And all we can say is, you gotta cry tough to make your dreams come true.” Poison said together all with identical grins spread across our faces.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well that was the result of slaving over three different computers for hours on end, but it's done, and I have a feeling that this won't be the only Poison oneshot I write.
Anyways
Comments=Love