Status: hiatus

A Girl Unknown to Love

Worrying for a Friend

“I guess it’s the easiest thing to do in a situation like this.” Rei, a 15 year old girl says as she watches her friend, Kagome, walk back into the classroom with a bandage on her stomach. “What happened to you? You get run over by a bus?” Rei asks Kagome later on that same day as they’re walking home together.

“No…I fell down some steps and cut my side on the cement when I landed.” Kagome says with a strange look on her face.

“How about you don’t lie to me? We’ve been friends for years, I can tell when you’re not telling the truth.” Rei says. Kagome’s eyes widen. “What, do you take me for a fool?” She demands, stepping in front of Kagome to make her stop walking. Kagome shakes her head.

“I would never DREAM of lying to you! I mean, if I did that, I’d…um…” Kagome places a finger against her chin. “Okay, I’m lost for words.” She says with a shrug. Rei shakes her head.

“You know….you can always tell me if there’s something wrong, don’t you?” Rei asks, refusing to even look at Kagome, who looks at Rei with sad eyes.

“I wish I could…but this is something that I’ve been sworn to secrecy about…” Kagome says as she lowers her head in shame.

“Hey, don’t worry about it!” Rei says, looking at Kagome with a fake smile. “It’s not like it’s that big of a deal. I’ll live with not knowing.” She says as she turns to walk in a different direction. “Well, I have some errands I have to run, so….I guess I’ll see you whenever.” Rei says as she runs off in a random direction. Kagome lowers her head as she watches her best friend run off.

“I wish I could tell you, believe me….It’s just that if I did….you wouldn’t believe me…” Kagome whispers as she turns to walk up the steps to her house/ shrine.

The next morning, Rei walks into the classroom, only to see Kagome gone.

*I wonder what’s up? She’s never been gone this many days in the past years.* Rei wonders as she looks up at the chalk board. *I know!* Rei mentally shouts as her eyes widen. *I’ll go see her and wish her well after school…besides…I feel bad about that stupid fight we had yesterday.* Rei says as she lays her head back on the desk.

The day goes on with it being overall very boring without Kagome being there. Rei sighs as she shuts her locker door, and walks toward the front doors. She raises an eyebrow when some girls step in front of her.

“What do you want?” Rei demands, glaring at the girls. They take a small step back

“We don’t want you here, convict! So, why don’t you just find somewhere else to occupy your time!” The girl shouts, pointing toward Rei, who merely glares at her.

“You know, I’m REALLY not in the mood for this right now…” Rei says, glaring at the girls like she wants them to fall over dead.

“Well, then why don’t you just leave!” The girls shouts in unison as they all take a step back from the malice that’s coming off Rei in waves.

“I was just about to do so before you bitches came and ruined my peaceful thinking process on how I’m planning on making your lives hell started tomorrow.” Rei says, folding her hands in front of her.

“Damn!” The girls shouts as they spin around. “We’ll get you eventually!” They shout as they run off as fast as they can. Rei smiles sadly.

“Damn idiots.” She curses as she walks out the front doors. She walks toward Kagome’s house. When she gets there, she walks up the hundred or so steps, and stops underneath the shrine door.

*I should really count those damn steps one day.* She says as she looks down at the steps. She sighs as she turns around, and walks the remaining distance to the house.

“Hello?” Kagome’s little brother, Sota questions as he pulls the door open. Rei smiles.

“Oh! Rei!” Sota says, smiling.

“What’s this I hear? Rei’s here?” Kagome’s mother asks as she walks around the wall. Rei kneels on the front step.

“Hello, Mrs. Higurashi.” Rei says, bowing her head.

“It’s very nice to see you.” Kagome’s mom says with a smile, which Rei returns.

“I came to see if Kagome’s feeling a little better. She wasn’t in school today, so…” Rei begins, but stops when she runs out of words to say.

“She’s terribly sick. Yes, she has Pad-foot anitis.” Kagome’s grandfather says as he walks around the corner. Rei’s eyes furrow in confusion.

“What’s that? I’ve never even heard of such a thing.” Rei says as she looks at Kagome’s grandfather, who merely smiles like he knows some great secret.

“It’s a rare form of illness. Yes, it only affects one out of every 1,000 people.” Kagome’s grandfather rants as he walks toward the kitchen.

“Well, is it all right if I go and see her?” Rei asks, looking at Kagome’s mother.

“I’m afraid not, dear. It’s terribly contagious, and I’m sure Kagome wouldn’t want you to catch i-“ At that very moment, Kagome comes running through the door.

“Mom! I need more medical oint-“ Kagome shouts before freezing when she sees Rei.

“K…..Kagome?” Rei asks, looking at her with a hurt look.

“Um…hey, Rei. What are you doing here?” Kagome says, looking just a tad bit uncomfortable.

“She came to see how you’re doing. Isn’t that nice, Kagome?” Sota says, grinning. Kagome turns to glare at her little brother.

“You stay out of this.” Kagome shouts. Rei sighs as she stands up. Kagome looks at her. “Listen, Re-“ Kagome’s eyes widen when Rei refuses to look at her. She spins around as Rei walks out the door.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is the first chapter to my Inuyasha story...
Peace!!
KcA