‹ Prequel: It Rains When I Cry

A Healing Touch

All Questions... No Answers

Matt was pacing the downstairs holding the key to the attic door and watching the stairs. Val and Cara hadn’t shown up and he could tell that he wasn’t the only one worried. Megan was staring at the stairs and they all heard the gunshot at the same time. Matt was the first up the stairs and was jamming the key in the lock and as soon as the door was open a lot happened at once. Cara and Val obviously dealing with other psychotic spirits. Hale was fading from sight from the combined work of his sisters. Matt dropped to his knees beside Willa and pulled her to him. She was bleeding from where the bullet had ended up in her shoulder. The tears were falling from his face.

“Willa… can you hear me baby?” Matt asked through the tears. The guys were floored to see him crying. JB had dropped down checking the pulse on Mya’s neck. He glanced up at the others.

“Mya…” Matt looked at Willa’s sister.

“JB?” Matt asked.

“No pulse.”

“Shit… “

“I called an ambulance.” Michelle said holding tight to Brian as Willa lost consciousness. Matt held her until the ambulance got there and they knew that they were going to have a lot of explaining to do. Mya was dead, and Willa was loosing tons of blood. Ana stood crying in Johnny’s arms and when Angelique called she pulled her cell phone out and answered it.

“Sweeite, are you alright?”

“Mya…”

“Yes, I didn’t see it, Kaila did.”

“Oh Nana is she okay?”

“She won’t quit crying.”

“I’m coming…”

“She said Willa’s gonna be okay.”

“Oh god Nana it was horrible… but he’s gone.”

“I know, Ana, tell Megan to go to the hospital, talk to her dad.”

“I will… Nana, I love you, I love Kaila.”

“We love you too.”

“I have to go…” Ana moved closer to Johnny when the cops showed up.

“Shit, how the hell do we explain this?” Matt asked walking to them. Ana was scared shitless.

“This ain’t New Orleans, they ain’t gonna take our story too well.” Megan said and Ana nodded. Brian held Michelle close and when Ana glanced around they were scattered all over the yard in couples. Zack stood with Megan, Matt, Ana and Johnny. None of them were looking forward to this.

At the hospital Levi met the emergency team in the ER. Willa was after all a nurse on his floor. He took one look at the wound on her shoulder and sighed. He looked at JB.

“How’d it happen?” His eyes never left JB’s.

“Uhmm…”

“Hallway” and JB followed Levi out into the hall. “How did she get shot?”

“Uhm, I didn’t actually see it happen…”

“I know where she was, now tell me the truth Jason.”

“She and Mya confronted their brother…”

“That’s all I need. I’ll let you know when you can see her.”

Matt was sitting on the front step of Zack’s house waiting with the others for the police to come talk to them. Jimmy and Leana were sitting talking quietly and Michelle was crying silently on Brian’s shoulder. Matt was lost in his own little world. Ana was on the phone with Kaila and Johnny was holding her. Zack was on the phone with Gena, and Megan was talking in hushed tones to her father who was telling her how Willa was. They all looked up when someone said Matt’s name.

“Matthew Sanders… been a while.”

“Derek Hamilton…”

“Detective now…”

“Hah, nice you became a cop.”

“And you became a rock star. You involved in the shooting next door. They said everyone was over here.”

“Yeah, my girlfriend was shot.”

“Is Val gonna be okay?”

“Uhm, it wasn’t Val Derek.”

“Oh sorry, I just kinda figured you were still with her…”

“I was she died.”

“Oh I’m sorry Matt.”

“Wasn’t your fault and we didn’t do anything…”

“We?”

“We” Matt said waving vaguely around the porch.