‹ Prequel: It Rains When I Cry

A Healing Touch

Explaining Things To Matt's Parents

Matt was biting his lip as he pulled into his parents driveway. He looked beside him at Willa who smiled and leaned over the center console and placed a kiss to his lips. A gentle reassurance for them both seeing as she could tell by the way he was acting that he was nervous about telling his parents. He pulled her over onto his lap and she straddled his lap as the steering wheel cut into her back. She didn’t care as their lips met in a heated kiss. She loved how he turned her on with just a kiss his hands weren’t even roaming her body. A low moan escaped her lips and a moment later he pulled back grinning at her. She smiled and they got out of the car, Willa slipping carefully back over to get out the passenger side of the vehicle. With a grin on her face Matt took her hand and they walked to the door together. Matt didn’t bother knocking, he just walked in. Willa behind him.

“MOM, DAD, I’m here, and I brought someone I want you to meet!” Matt said as he walked in. Willa rolled her eyes.

“We’re out back son.” Gary Sanders called to his son from the patio. Matt and Willa started that way.

“Matt, honey it’s good to see you! Who’s this?” Kim asked as she stood to hug her son.

“Mom, dad, this is Willa…my…”

“Your…? Girlfriend?” Gary asked him.

“Um no…”

“Then what?” His father asked raising an eyebrow.

“She’s my wife.” Matt said a smile on his face as Willa stepped behind me at the looks and probably thoughts on his parents minds. so soon after Val? went through Kim’s head and Willa sighed.

“What the hell?” Gary asked. Willa bit her lip and peeked around Matt.

“It’s nice to meet the both of you?”

“It’s just this is a shock…we didn’t think…how long have you known Matt?” Kim started then stopped and asked.

“Uhm…Well I was one of his nurses in the hospital so…almost two months now?” Willa siad looking to her husband for confirmation.

“Sounds about right Babe.”

“Two months…you’ve known each other two months?” Gary looked stunned.

“Yeah” Matt and Willa said together.

“Do you think maybe you… rushed into this?” His mother asked them. She looked mainly at her son.

“Hell No”

“I know it’s really unexpected…and believe me when I say we didn’t plan it... it just… kind of… happened?”

“How does a wedding just kind of happen?” Gary asked Willa.

“Well…uhm see Gina and Zack wanted to get married before the baby was born and…” Matt started.

“So we all went to Vegas for them…” Willa said.

“How drunk we’re the two of you?” Kim asked

“Completely sober…JB was the drunk one.” Willa answered truthfully.

“You know JB?” Gary asked.

“He’s my cousin.”

“Oh” Kim said.

“Then how have we never met you?” Gary asked raising an eyebrow.

“I don’t know actually…I mean, we’re pretty close so it’s kind of weird that I’d never crossed paths with Matt or any of the other guys until a couple months ago.”

“You were too busy with…your si…work.” Matt said amending what he was going to say.

“Yeah… that’s probably it…” Willa said biting her lip.

“So what exactly do you do?” only translated to her thoughts it was ‘What kind of nurse are you?‘

“Usually I work in the ICU, but sometimes I take shifts in the ER…”

“So you work at the hospital…” Gary asked

“Yep, actually one of the main doctors on my floor knows Johnny’s wife and her daughter from New Orleans…”

“Way to change the subject.” Matt said laughing at his wife and the looks on his parents faces.

“Johnny’s wife…? Johnny’s not married…” Kim said confusedly.

“Mom, you might want to sit down… you to dad.” Matt told his parents.

“Well?” Gary asked sitting before continuing. “How many of you came back from Vegas married?” Willa caught his last thought. ’What are they lacing the water with there?’

“All of us, Willa what’s so funny?”

“Nothing…” she continued to giggle. Matt rolled his eyes.

“Just tell me later.”

“Wait all of you?” Kim asked as it sunk in.

“Yeah… Brian and Michelle, Jimmy and Leana… all of us.”

“Well except for JB and Megan… odd since they were the two that were wasted…” Willa said

“Wait… the two that were drunk are the two that didn’t come back married…?” Gary asked raising an eyebrow at the two before him.

“Yeah, and this morning you should’ve seen JB’s face.” Matt said trying not to laugh.

“I can imagine he was pretty stunned…” ’A lot like us…’ Kim said and Willa tried not to roll her eyes at the woman.

“Yeah something like that.” Matt said.

“He didn’t even remember suggesting that we get marred after everyone else had.” Willa said smiling at the memory.

“It was JB’s Idea?” Gary asked. ‘I should‘ve known‘

“What’s that supposed to mean? JB’s not that careless, he wouldn’t have suggested it if Matt and I didn’t love one another…” Willa stopped herself realizing what she had done.

“I just asked a question…” Gary looked confused.

“Uhm… Shit” Willa mumbled as her eyes went wide.

“Matt…Is she okay?” Kim asked her son.

“Yeah she’s fine. Just uhm… she uh…”

“Uhm well I’m really good at reading peoples faces and he well…uhm.” Willa said looking to Matt for assistance.

“I what?” Gary asked.

“You just had... this look... I guess. Like it was JB's fault that we got married or something, but really it's not. I mean, we may not have thought about it until he said something, but trust me, I don't think Matt or I would have done it if we didn't think it was a good idea…” Willa said covering for herself finally.

“Are you happy Matt?” Kim asked ignoring the bullshit and cutting straight to the point.

“Of course I am mom. Why wouldn’t I be?”

“As long as you’re happy, we’re happy. Right Gary?” Kim asked looking at her husband.

“Yeah, uh huh. Of course honey.” Gary said not happy about the situation.

“Good then it’s settled. We’ll throw a party for them all tomorrow how’s that sound? Now do the two of you have anyone else that needs to know about this?” Kim asked playing peace maker making it final.

“My mom still doesn’t know…”

“You really wanna go there Willa?”

“Not really... but uhm... I'm pretty positive if I don't tell her before JB opens his mouth and tells the entire family, she'll kill me. And he'd do it... he still hasn't gotten me back for that thing I have yet to tell you about…” She was trying to not laugh at the memory.

“Then I guess we have another stop to make today.”

“Looks like it…” Willa said nodding. They said their goodbyes and headed out both looking at one another. Her mother still didn’t know that she knew her other family at all.