‹ Prequel: It Rains When I Cry

A Healing Touch

Julie O'Shannon

Julie O’Shannon was sitting in her kitchen staring out the window as she drank a cup of coffee. She hadn’t heard from Willa in a few weeks and was worried about her. She glanced up as someone knocked on her front door and headed to answer the door. She heard the door open.

“MOM IT’S JUST ME…” Willa shouted and Julie, was out and in the entryway a moment later. She stopped dead when she saw the man with her daughter. This was new. She saw the nervousness in her daughter’s eyes and raised an eyebrow.

“Willa… you haven’t been at work in a while.”

“I took some time off.”

“Oh… so uhm who’s this?”

“Uhm…”

“Willa…” She just shrugged.

“My Husband…” She looked directly at her mom.

“WHAT?” Julie said shocked.

“Yeah, and I met my family off my dads side.”

“What have I told you about that. We don’t discus…”

“Mom, They’re awesome.”

“Does he know about…”

“Her mind reading thing. Yeah, I do.”

“Then you’re a tolerant man…”

“Tolerant my ass, she can’t read me, and the ghosts and shit are starting to seem normal to me.”

“Right… why the hell do I think I’ve seen you somewhere before? And where did the two of you meet?”

“We actually uhm met at the hospital.” Willa and Matt said at the same time.

“Oh do you uhm…work at the hospital with Willa?” The couple looked at one another and Matt smirked and bit his lip. Willa grinned. She had a few options and she could tell Matt was waiting to hear what she had to say.

“Uhm, no.”

“Then why does he look so familiar?”

“Maybe you’ve seen him with JB, who by the way is falling for this chick who’s best friends with one of my cousins.”

“Oh…so wait how’d do you know each other from the hospital?” Julie asked. Willa shook her head, the woman couldn’t stay on one topic long enough to get all the answers. She was jumping back and forth between them. Willa glanced at Matt and raised an eyebrow when he started to speak.

“With all the muscle and tattoos? Maybe if I was a bouncer there…” Matt said trailing off.

“Uh…” Willa just watched her mom look stunned and speechless. Finally she spoke.

“Seriously mom, he was a patient, I was his nurse…”

“I’m just not gonna ask anymore.”

“Good idea mom, just be happy for me. I am.” Willa said and somehow they managed to make it out without anymore questions and Willa closed her eyes as she heard her mom’s thoughts. She smiled and shook her head. Her mom was so confused that it wasn’t funny. She smiled as she turned knowing her mom was watching them and kissed Matt. He smirked at her and pulled her against him deepening the kiss as they stood there on the front porch. She moaned a little in to the kiss and he pulled her tighter against him.

Johnny’s mom just shook her head and smiled. To see her son happy like that it didn’t matter what circumstances brought the couple together. She wasn’t scared when they told her about the gifts in Ana’s family and she wasn’t scared by the fact that even though it was unspoken any kids she and Johnny had could be like Ana. Johnny was holding Kaila in his lap and she was grinning. Zack and Gena were cuddled together on the couch and Brian and Michelle weren’t there. They had gone to his parents and then her’s. But Gena was enjoying telling the story of how they had all managed to end up married except for JB and Megan. Which everyone thought was hilarious. Johnny’s mom laughing and saying that it was normally the drunk ones that shocked the world like this and got married. They all turned their heads and watched as Matt and Willa walked in the door, both laughing. No one said a word as the couple sat down with Willa in Matt’s lap.

“So my parents are throwing us all a party.”

“How shocked were your parents?” Megan asked. She was cuddled up beside JB on the couch.

“Very” Matt said as Willa rested her head against his chest. Matt smiled as he ran a hand through her hair. She smiled as she relaxed in his embrace. The others said not a word because they were as guilty as the two when it came to cuddling with their wife or husband. Well except for Megan and JB who were still guilty of cuddling. They all glanced up when they heard laughter coming from the entryway. Brian and Michelle Haner walked in and Brian raised his eyes at his friends and shook his head. Michelle just grinned. Despite everything they were all happy.

“Where’d you guys go last night? Me and Cara thought you were coming back…” Val said popping out of nowhere and stopping when she saw the ring on Matt’s finger.