‹ Prequel: It Rains When I Cry

A Healing Touch

Willa's Gift

Matt watched as they all made their way into Zack’s house parents house and glanced behind him thinking he had heard movement. He shook his head and walked in behind the rest of them. Ana was introducing Kaila to Willa and the little girl smiled when she looked over her shoulder in Matt’s direction. Matt raised an eyebrow at that and shook his head once more. When they were inside Willa took Kaila in her arms and the little girl curled up and went to sleep.

“So you can read minds?” Angelique finally said.

“Yeah”

“That’s a first in the family.”

“What’d ya mean a first?”

“Well I have visions, miss Kaila does as well.”

“And I still haven’t figured mine out completely.” Ana said.

“I thought it was from two on…”

“It is, Ana was a rarity, she was born with a curse.” Angelique said.

“A curse?”

“It rained every time she cried.” Johnny said as he wrapped an arm around his girlfriend.

“The freak rainstorms… that was you then?”

“Yeah Willa it was. See I bought that house. I stayed in it one night, I’ve been staying with these guys ever since. Well I’m kinda staying with Johnny now.”

“This is gonna sound a little messed up, but uhm that house, I’ve never been in it…”

“Trust me, I think you need to go with us next time. We promised to wait until Matt was out of the hospital before going again.”

“Is he still there?”

“We think it’s him. But there’s a slight problem, when he got injured thanks to Matt he got stronger. We think, that or the door to the attic didn’t get shut.”

“How do you know I thought you guys said you didn’t go back?” Matt asked looking at Brian.

“We didn’t we went to get clothes for Zack and Gena, and we were gonna go over while it was safe and get some for Kaila and Ana but what we saw was him in the living room window.”

“Shit…”

“That’s not all there was someone else there and I don’t mean Cara.”

“That was her name.” Willa said suddenly. Matt couldn’t help but smile. What the hell was wrong with him.

“Yeah kinda figured that out when you said the baby’s name was Brook. She told us to find her.” Ana said.

“I say we go over there tomorrow.” Matt said.

“Are you insane, we don’t know what else is there.”

“So, c’mon we have to do something.”

“They’ll be expecting us.” Ana said

“How do you know?” Willa asked.

“My undefined gift seems to be knowing when there’s danger.”

“I think it’ll develop into more, though sweetie.”

“Thanks Nana.”

The next day they all stood in front of the house. Willa had called off sick and Levi had taken in who she had left with and was related to, and accepted it as well as giving her a few days off. Willa looked at the house and cringed as thoughts cascaded into her head. She stopped walking and leaned against the mailbox. Matt turned to look at her.

“Are you okay?”

“It’s him alright, and something else. My head…”

“Are you gonna be okay going in?”

“If I concentrate on your mind I think I will be.”

“What’s that mean?” Matt asked looking at her.

“I can’t read you. That’s never happened before but trust me it’s a good thing.” Willa said. Why the hell was she telling him this.

“Alright, c’mon.” and he helped her steady herself as she straightened her stance. He pulled his hand back almost immediately as he felt that same sensation as the day in the hospital when she had touched him. She watched him and for a moment and then concentrated on his mind. She found peace and walked with him to where the others were waiting.

“Ready?” Ana asked, none of them wanted to know what had just happened.

“Yeah” and Ana placed the key in the lock and turned it. They made it into the living room before anything happened. They briefly saw Cara and then it was too late. Willa found herself staring down her brother. Everyone stopped what they were doing when it talked.

“Willa…”

“Hale…”

“GET OUT!”

“No” and next thing any of them knew there was another figure suddenly in the room. “ANA BEHIND YOU!” Willa yelled and Ana spun around in time to see it before it attacked.

“What the FUCK, IT’S SOLID!” Ana yelled and got an idea. If it was solid it could get hurt, good thing she knew how to fight. The rest of them froze momentarily. “Distract him get him back to the attic!” Ana said and Johnny looked at her.

“Ana…”

“Johnny I’m fine go!” and with that even Willa started toying with her brother, getting him to follow them all upstairs. Johnny heard a crash downstairs as he darted around Zack and into Ana’s room, with Hale following him. Michelle called out from the nursery and used Cara as bait and he followed into the nursery. They all knew that whoever got him in the attic had to be a fast mover. Leana looked at Jimmy and she turned and darted in the attic door. Calling out for Hale. ‘GOD HELP ME’ Leana prayed and the minute that the bastard was upstairs in the attic by the farthest wall Leana jumped from her hiding place and sprinted down the steps. He was at the top of them just as she slammed the door shut and locked it with the key. They heard another crash from downstairs and Johnny took off at a dead run. He skidded to a halt when he saw Ana fighting over control of a butcher knife. Matt saw it too and picked up one of the glass figurines that hadn’t gotten broke and chucked it at the thing, giving Ana the advantage and she plunged the knife into the demon’s chest, and twisted. It slowly began to disappear and Ana collapsed. They could hear Hale banging around in the attic throwing a fit. Johnny was at Ana’s side in a minute.

“She’s bleeding, badly.” Johnny said.

“You know the hospital’s gonna start wondering about us.” Matt muttered.

“Move” Willa said and broke the concentration and felt the panic in the room. She kneeled beside Ana. “I need you to roll over Cousin.” Willa said quietly. Johnny held Ana’s hand as he helped her roll. She had a gash down her side worse than the one that Matt had had. Johnny brushed Ana’s hair out of her face and told her it was going to be okay. He saw the tears and noticed that Cara was standing there. Tears falling down her pale ghostly face. The child she had taken to carrying was on her hip and they all stood there as Willa ripped one of the blankets that had been on the couch and wiped the blood from Ana’s side. Suddenly once she got most of it gone, she slowly ran a finger over the gash. Matt stood there watching as the wound closed instantly. He moved one of his hands to his chest. Had she been the reason he had heeled so quickly.

“Ana, open your eyes.” Johnny told her.

“I’m not a sleep, I don’t want to see how bad it is.”

“Ana, you’re gonna be okay.” She opened her eyes and looked into Johnny’s. She slowly followed his gaze to her side. Willa got to the top of it and ran three fingers swiftly back down where the scar should’ve been. Ana’s eyes moved to Willa’s.

“A healer…”

“Try and stand Ana.” She moved to step back and turned smiling at Matt not needing to read his mind to know what he was thinking. “I might’ve had something to do with your quick recovery, I couldn’t fix your tattoo though for you though, I’m sorry.” Matt looked at her and he knew how she had known. It had been written all over his face. They watched as Ana stood and next thing they knew she was hugging Willa.

“Thank you.”

“C’mon lets get out of here.” Michelle said quietly.

“Yeah, tonight I say we take a time out from this shit and do something fun, I need it.” Ana said causing them all to laugh. “You’ll join us right Willa?” Ana asked.

“Of course.” And she wrapped her arm around her cousin’s waist and the two of them led the way out the door. They had walked over there so they were walking back. When they got to the house Kaila darted out the door. Followed swiftly by Angelique. When they saw Ana walking side by side with Willa both of them looked relieved. Ana scooped her daughter up in her arms and spun her around in a circle. Kaila cuddled into her moms arms and that made Ana smile. When she stopped spinning Kaila reached for Johnny and he took her and held her as he pulled Ana to him. He placed a kiss on Kaila’s forehead and one of Ana’s lips.