‹ Prequel: It Rains When I Cry

A Healing Touch

Pretty Dreams

Matt woke up with a head on his shoulder and closed his eyes. He knew it wasn’t Val and he couldn’t believe that no matter how great the sex had been with Willa the night before, that in his heart it felt like he had cheated on Val. He sighed and carefully moved from the bed. He looked out the window after he got dressed and sighed. He sat on the window seat and looked out over his yard. There was so much he had wanted with Val, and now he would never have it. He was also falling way too damn fast for Willa. He looked around the room and shook his head. He glanced out the window again and looked down at the yard. He could’ve sworn he saw her standing by a tree but when he looked closer she was gone. Great now he was hallucinating. The guys were going to think he was insane. He turned when he heard movement in the room. Willa was waking up.

Willa glanced around the room looking for him since she couldn’t sense him and she found him sitting in the window seat watching her. She closed her eyes and sighed. It had been different with him, because she hadn’t been able to see inside his head while they’d had sex, that was one problem with her ability. It really ruined it sometimes. Okay so a lot of the time until last night that was. Shit what the hell was she doing he just lost his girlfriend. But dammit it felt so right and it was starting to scare her. She opened her eyes and looked at him. Neither of them sad a word as she moved from the bed and picked up her clothes, dressing as she went.

Zack woke up with Gena’s head on his chest and smiling at the fact that he had her. He wondered briefly what Kaila had seen, but was a little afraid to ask. He just wanted everything to be normal again. He was actually kind of glad that he had liked Ana before all this shit had gone down. Gena began stirring and he smiled at her as her eyes opened. She smiled back and he kissed her. They moved as one to get out of the bed and they dressed before heading downstairs. It was still really early in the morning, but despite the late night that they had all had they were headed to Johnny’s, seeing as he had kindly informed them that he wanted to do something special for Ana on her birthday because Kaila and Angelique wanted her to celebrate and it was her first one with him. They had agreed and said they would meet him at his place.

Michelle woke up sitting straight up in bed and screaming. Brian woke up immediately obviously and pulled her to him. She curled into him crying and he held her close. Brian glanced sideways at the clock and noticed that it was barely five in the morning. They had gotten home around one thirty or so. He ran a hand over her hair and waited for her to calm down some before asking her what was wrong. When she told him that she had dreamed of the day Val had died he tightened his grip on her and didn’t want to let go. She continued to speak telling him that it had been weird though, it was like she had had Val’s memory of it. Of Hale standing over her and then just nothing. Brian didn’t know what to do to help her but he knew who to talk to.

Jimmy woke up alone and glanced around the room. Leana was standing by the window wrapped in a robe staring out at nothing. It was still early, the sun wasn’t even rising yet. He glanced around for a pair of pants and pulled on the first pair he found and walked over to his girlfriend. She turned when he placed a hand on her shoulder. He saw the tears falling and knew that she was missing her best friend. Last night was their first night out without Val. He stood there holding her and she cried on his shoulder. He wondered what would make her feel better but on the inside he knew. It would make them all feel better, and that would be killing or getting rid of whatever you wanted to call it, the ghost of the Sonofabitch that had killed Val.

Ana woke the next morning smiling and she noticed that Johnny was still asleep. She slipped from the bed and quietly got dressed before moving out of the room and down the hall to where her daughter was. If there was one thing that she cared about more than anything in the world right then since her world seemed to be turning in the right direction was her daughter. The one thing that no matter what she would never consider a mistake. Even if Kaila’s father had wanted to give her up for adoption and had told Ana that he would pay her to do it. She had said she wouldn’t that she wanted her baby. And now she looked down at the little girl that was smiling up at her from where she had just climbed off the bed. Ana picked her up and walked her to the bathroom. Kaila smiled at her mom as she sat on the toilet and pee’d that morning. She started babbling too.

“I had a pretty dream last night mommy.”

“Again? You seem to be having a lot of them lately. What or who was happy in it?”

“Matt.”

“What about him?”

“He was happy and smiley and…”

“Okay slow down Kaila.” Ana said laughing as she pulled an outfit out of the clothes basket that she was using for her baby girl. “Here put this on sweetie.” Ana said handing her the outfit. Kaila smiled and put on her big girl panties and her pants before fighting like always with her shirt. Ana helped her and then she watched as Kaila ran off. She followed after and had to laugh when right before the child got to the steps Johnny picked her up and carried her down. She didn’t need visions to know that he loved her and that he was the one she had been waiting on her entire life. She followed them and smiled to herself when she smelled the aroma of food coming from the kitchen. Angelique had been cooking them breakfast almost every morning and it was as she put it because Kaila needed her proper nutrition. But Ana knew that it was because Angelique loved cooking. None of them minded though. She saw that Megan was already at the table setting it and Ana reminded herself to pay back Zack’s mom for the things she had bought Kaila. Johnny was putting her in her booster seat and handing her a kids cup with juice in it. They all looked up when she walked in. Johnny smiled at her and Megan nodded Angelique smiled gently.

“Sit down, Ana.”

“What’s with all this? Normally it’s just cereal or breakfast sandwiches.”

“My Ana, don’t tell me you forgot what today is?”

“Nana, it’s nothing special.”

“It’s your birthday Ana, it is special.” Megan said.

“I haven’t celebrated my birthday since I was twenty you know that.”

“Well today we are.” Johnny said and suddenly because he wanted to she didn’t care.

“How do you even know?” Ana asked Johnny as he sat beside her.

“Angelique told me when I asked.”

“NANA” The woman just smiled. Ana rolled her eyes and shook her head and Johnny placed a kiss to her forehead.

“Happy Birthday Ana.” He whispered against her ear. She smiled and stood so she was facing him and kissed him. Kaila giggled and Megan rolled her eyes, Angelique just nodded and smiled knowingly. When they pulled apart Ana looked up into Johnny’s eyes and smiled. No she didn’t mind celebrating today at all. Not if she had him. The door opened a moment later.

“WHERE’S THE BIRTHDAY GIRL?” Leana called and Ana laughed and shook her head.

“We’re in the kitchen. Nana I hope you’ve made enough for everyone.” Ana said looking at her grandmother.

“You know I did child. Now go greet your real friends. I’m glad you found some.”

“You know I think this is going to be the best birthday ever.” Ana said and took Johnny’s hand and kissed Kaila on the forehead as she passed her daughter.

“You know Angelique I’m Ana’s real friend.”

“I meant ones she’s made that accepted her sweetie, you accepted it when you were little and believed in anything. They accepted her as an adult.”

“Oh okay.” Megan said and served Kaila her food, while Ana was hugged and wished Happy Birthday by her new friends. Megan knew that Ana would always remember her and the fact that she was her best friend. So she wasn’t worried.

Ana smiled as she hugged all of her new found friends and she glanced out the window as Willa shut her car door and walked up the walk way. She glanced toward Matt who was avoiding looking at her cousin. She tilted her head and saw the slight smile on his face. She thought for a moment as Leana let Willa in and excused herself for a minute. Ana walked into the kitchen and sat down beside her daughter.

“Kaila, your dream last night.”

“What about it mommy?”

“Do you remember why he was smiling?” the child nodded at her mother and when Willa walked in to greet her Kaila pointed at the woman. Ana smirked. Oh this was just great. She wondered briefly if Willa would bother looking in the child’s head. This also meant though that Ana herself had to be careful what she thought about around her cousin. She smiled at Willa and hugged her a moment later.