‹ Prequel: It Rains When I Cry

A Healing Touch

"Christ Val, Don't Do That"

“Val…” Michelle said looking at the pale ghostly form of her sister.

“Hi Michelle!” Val said then looked at Matt and Willa, “You guys are off by about ten feet, over that way, c’mon.” And oddly enough none of them said a word as the four of them followed Val towards where she said they should be.

“Michelle, did, you guys leave a mark where…?” Matt asked. Willa wasn’t saying a word as he kept his hand in hers. She was kinda walking close to him anyway.

“Yeah, we left a highly inconspicuous mark. No one will notice it unless they’re looking for it. Trust me we barely noticed it.”

“Ok…hey there’s the group of boulders on the map…” Matt said and let go of Willa’s hand and moved a little faster towards the rocks.

“Told you I was here to help.” Val said before disappearing. Matt watched her go sadly and when Willa walked up beside him, and he wrapped an arm around her feeling better almost immediately. She smiled at him as he saw what they were looking for. Willa and Michelle kneeled down beside him as they brushed away the leaves from the ground and there on the ground was a concrete X.

“It was at the other site too.” Brian said.

“That’s what you left?”

“Didn’t need to leave anything.” They all about jumped when Matt’s cell phone went off.

“Hello?”

“Hey Matt, we found it. Look for a concrete X.”

“We know, found this one and Michelle and Brian found theirs Zack.”

“Well we told Johnny and Jimmy.”

“Yeah, we’ll meet you back out at the cars.”

“Gotcha” and they were all headed back towards the cars and ended up meeting up on the path. Jimmy and Leana not far behind Zack and Gena.

“Johnny, we’re never gonna find her. Something tells me that this ones not covered by an X.”

“We’ll find her Ana. One way or another, if we have to call them all back out here to help us we will. This one matters too.”

“I know. Hey what’s that?” Ana asked and the two moved forward to look at the object in the path.

“Hey Johnny be careful!” Johnny spun around and came face to face with Val.

“Christ don’t do that Val!”

“Wow, my presence doesn’t shock you… sure scared the hell out of Matt.” Val said grinning.

“You scared Matt, wow.”

“Okay hate to be a buzz kill, but what was with the warning?”

“No prob, and because something’s night right around here. You need Willa to come out here with you. And Mya, yeah, I’ve been hanging around a lot, I know what’s going on.” Val said when she noticed the weird looks they were giving her. It made her smile though that Ana and Johnny were holding hands.

“If we leave now it’ll be too dark to come back out, and it’s already starting to get dark, and we forgot flashlights.”

“Uh hello, ghostly glow, c’mon, I’ll lead the way.”

“Thanks, and Val?”

“Yeah Ana?”

“I’m sorry, this is kinda all my fault for dragging ya’ll into this.”

“Hey, what’s’ done is done, but just make sure that cousin of yours doesn’t hurt Matt.”

“I will, I promise.” Ana said. As they walked they couldn’t believe how dark it had gotten. The time had flown by as they had looked and looked. When they entered the clearing that lead to the rest of the park they saw the others all waiting for them. Val waved to them all and then disappeared. Johnny and Ana walked over to join the others.

“I see she made an appearance to the two of you as well.” Matt said. Ana noticed Willa was wrapped in his arms.

“Gee, I feel, loved what the fuck am I? Chopped liver?” Gena muttered. They all looked at her.

“Sheesh, let the mood swings begin.” Ana said and Zack swallowed. Ana smiled at him and patted his arm. They all laughed. Gena rolled her eyes and took the hand Zack offered and they lead the way back to the cars.

“Guys, uhm we have to call Mya.”

“Why Ana?” Willa asked.

“Because Val said.”

“Val said?” Matt asked

“Yeah, there’s something different about the area Brook is buried in. She said to go back with Willa and Mya.”

“Oh, look’s like I need to have a talk with my darling sister.” Willa muttered under her breath. They all piled into the cars and no one said a word as it was Zack and Gena that split so that Matt and Willa could ride together. When they got back to Johnny’s Megan was sitting on the front porch beside a cooler. As they got out of the two vehicles she stood and as they walked up she passed out beer to everyone and handed Gena a bottle of Coke. She thanked the girl and they all lounged out on the porch. Ana went in after handing her beer to Johnny to check on Kaila. She smiled as she saw that her daughter was watching a movie and her great grandmother was asleep in a chair.

“MOMMY! GUESS WHAT I SEEN?”

“What’d you see sweetie?” Ana said picking up her daughter.

“I seen that pretty lady, I don’t member her name, but she was talking to you and Johnny!”

“When was this sweetie?”

“I don’t know you were in a field…”

“How about a clearing?”

“With big rocks and pretty flowers.”

“That happened today.”

“She was really nice, and stopped Johnny from getting hurt. There’s something scary there mommy, do you have to go back?”

“I’m afraid I do sweet heart.”

“Promise me you’ll be careful?”

“Isn’t that something I’m supposed to say to you?”

“So”

“C’mon, you wanna come outside with everyone?”

“Can I have a can of pop?”

“Yes” and they headed outside with the others. Johnny smiled as Kaila handed him her drink and he popped the tab on it for her. She sat down beside him and Ana shook her head at her daughter.

Willa was sitting in Matt’s lap and Kaila ignored them. She was paying attention to her mom. Matt whispered into Willa’s ear.

“Remember in the hospital how I called you an angel, when I woke up?”

“You remember that?” she asked grinning. Actually somewhat glad he did.

“Yeah.”

“What about it?” She asked looking at him.

“You never answered my question.”

“What question?” Willa asked as she wrapped her arms around his neck and moved so she was sitting in his lap better.

“The one about me being able to decide for myself if you were an angel or not.”

“Wanna find out?”

“I already know your not.” He murmured before kissing her. She grinned against his lips before allowing the kiss to deepen.

“Hey can the two of you keep it G rated please… Kaila’s out here!” Johnny called.