Don't Point Guns When You're Angry

Formal Introductions

Perry made his way down the stairs, getting lost in the whirl of hallways before finding the bright kitchen with the help of scents. He looked around, observing the peach colored walls and ceramic tile. “This place is nice,” he thought to himself as he spotted his plate sitting on the kitchen table with a silver fork and a tall glass of orange juice.

He sat down in front of his plate and began to eat, not letting the cooler temperature bother him. He gulped everything down just in time for his foster mother to appear behind him.

“How was it,” she asked contently.

Perry just nodded: his act of appreciation.

“We need to go grab some things at the store, we can drive you there is you’d like. We have some money for you to buy whatever you need: clothes mostly.

Perry was taken back. “You’re giving me money?”

“Sure, why not,” she asked, slightly surprised.

Perry looked around the room, feeling bad for the fact that he was going to lie before he quickly changed his mind. “Wait… Didn’t they tell you about me? Aren’t you afraid I’m going to take your money and go buy cigarettes, or weed, or friggin’ cocaine or something?”

The woman only smiled to Perry’s surprise. “Perry, we trust that you’ll make the right decisions while you’re here. You want us to trust you, don’t you? Trust is a good thing.”

Perry sighed, looking around awkwardly before turning back towards her. “Yea, I guess you’re right,” he said, smiling back to please her.

“So, are you going to come,” she asked, clearing Perry’s plate from the table and placing it in a stainless steel dishwasher.

Perry shrugged and muttered, “Sure. Why not?”

The woman smiled back, her auburn hair falling around her shoulders in waves.

Perry was surprised to find himself ask, “What’s your name? I mean… What do I call you?”

“You don’t already know,” she asked, almost taken back. “I’m Jane. I’m sorry, I thought you knew…”

Perry blushed. “I probably… I probably just forgot; or wasn’t paying attention.”

Jane smiled and the sound of running feet echoed in Perry’s head. Two children ran into the kitchen; the girl from last night and a boy about twelve, who looked up at him in bewilderment.

“Who’re you,” he asked strangely.

“Perry,” he answered, feeling the sudden urge to go to his room and find his marijuana once more as his hands began to shake.

“This is Sam and this little angel is Marie. Marie can you say hello to Perry,” Jane asked with a kind smile which Perry had only come to notice in movies.

Sam nodded in acknowledgement and Marie walked up to him and wrapped her small arms around his legs in a hug. Perry looked down at the head of tight blonde ringlets in surprise and awkwardness. The small girl looked up and toothlessly smiled.

“Are you our new brother,” she stuttered.

Perry couldn’t answer. Instead, he just smiled.