Guilt

Veinte Y Dos

“Do you really believe that this psychic can help us?” Julianne asked Matt as they sat in her living room waiting for Madam Buxley, the psychic, to arrive. The television was put on some news channel, but the volume was turned so low neither of them could hear it. It was just something to look at while they waited.

“You don’t?” Matt answered, looking away from the news to turn his head towards Julianne.

“I think it’s a little far-fetched. I do not see the use of mumbling some gibberish and then yelling ‘Be gone, demon!’ and saying, ‘Oh, yep, that ghost is gone.’”

“Julianne, you are being haunted by your husband. I figured you of all people would be open-minded towards the dealings of a psychic,” Matt pointed out.

“That’s different. I have seen physical evidence that Kelly’s ghost does exist...However, this psychic has given me no further proof beyond her title to tell me that she’s the real deal,” Julianne said calmly and patiently.

“You agreed pretty quickly when I told you about her.”

“I’m a little desperate. I’m allowed to make rash decisions such as this meeting with this phony psychic. Maybe I ought to call her and tell her today’s not the right time...”

“No, you’re going through with this. Phony or not, we’re meeting with this psychic and seeing what the hell we can do to help Kelly cross,” Matt insisted, resting his hand over Julianne’s. “You were this way with Margaret, too. And look where the two of you are now.”

Julianne didn’t have time to answer before there came a quiet knock on the door. She drew in a deep breath and shoved herself to her feet, glancing over her shoulder at Matt as she stepped towards the door. He nodded encouragingly, and Julianne came level with the front door. She worked a smile onto her face and opened the door, expecting to see some woman in a faux silk gypsy skirt, a bandana over her unkempt hair, and way too much jewelry than needed. Instead, she was met with a pleasantly plump, kindred-looking woman with thick, wavy chocolate brown hair and wearing a navy blue tank top over a plain white t-shirt and a pair of worn blue jeans.

“I take it you are Julianne,” the woman said with a smile, extending her hand. “I’m Madam Buxley. Hopefully I will be able to help you with your problem.”

They shook hands and Julianne stepped back to allow Madam Buxley into the house. Matt introduced himself to Madam Buxley and Julianne took her seat on the couch once more. Madam Buxley seated herself in one of the armchairs and asked Julianne to please explain to her how her husband died and how she knows her house is haunted by him. Julianne obliged, and once she was finished, Madam Buxley didn’t speak for several moments. She stared thoughtfully at the opposite wall.

“I think, in this case, a séance will be most effective,” Madam Buxley said finally after several moments of silence. “We might not yet be able to help him cross over, but a séance will give us the opportunity to speak with him and ask why he hasn’t passed on. Usually, a ghost’s last request must be met in order for he or she to pass over. I’ve never heard of a story quite like yours, however. Normally, people who are murdered come back as ghosts, and they request that their bodies be found and buried properly. But yours is very unique. The séance should be simple, however.”

“What all do we need?” Julianne asked.

“We’ll probably do it in here,” Madam Buxley said, looking around. “We’ll move the furniture back, move the dining table into here, draw the curtains over the windows...And we’ll need ten people total, including the three of us. Friends and family of the deceased will be most effective.”

“I think I can get seven more people,” Julianne answered.

“Very well,” Madam Buxley agreed. “Call me when you have enough people. I’ll set up an actual date from there.”

All three of them rose to their feet. Matt and Julianne shook Madam Buxley’s hand before Julianne led the way back towards the front door.

“Thank you for seeing us,” Julianne said as she opened the door.

“Thank you for calling me,” Madam Buxley answered as she stepped out onto the doorstep. “I think the séance will work. I will see you soon.”

Julianne nodded and closed the door as Madam Buxley walked back towards her car.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments?