The Umbrella Academy

This Riddle Of Revenge

*Mikey’s Flashback*

I was walking down the hallway to go to my locker when somebody tapped my shoulder.

I turned around to see my brother, standing there with tears in his eyes.

“Gerard…what’s wrong?” I said as I hugged my brother.

“She…she…she broke up with me…she said she hated outcasts and she only used me…” he sobbed.

“She” meant his girlfriend who was a whore. I knew about it, but I didn’t want to say it because it was nothing for me to poke about.

“Hey, it’s ok….you can find another girl…” I said as I patted Gerard’s back as I led him to my locker.

“Yeah, I guess….” He said as he wiped away his tears and waited for me to get my things.

After we left school, we walked to our home in silence.

I looked at Gerard who had so much sorrow in his eyes. Doesn’t anyone know that he has to go through so much depression? Doesn’t anyone know how much he feels so left alone? He would have probably killed himself already if I wasn’t here.

I love him with all of my heart. I admire him so much that I hate to see him all like this. The brother I used to know was gone.

The sparkle in his eyes had gone away and his life was being ruined by whores who just plain used him.

When we got home, we went upstairs and shut the door as always and turned the music way up. We always relaxed and rocked on with the songs when anything depressing happened. I saw Gerard smile when a Misfit song came on. He began to sing and dance to it and I danced with him too.

Suddenly, a large crashing noise came from downstairs. We froze in place and looked at each other, frightened. Gerard turned the music off and we both heard yelling and screaming from downstairs.

I was shivering all over but Gerard held me close to him, trying to be the brave one. But I could feel that he was scared too because he was squeezing my hand.

He slowly opened the door and quietly went to the top of the stairs. I followed closely behind him and I almost cried out at the scene in front of me. Gerard just hugged me to him and crumbled to the floor.

The tables and everything was broken and trashed. The once white wall had turned into crimson red. Tracing the red stains on the wall, there was a man on the floor lying there with a knife stuck through their heart. Our dad.

He was alive this morning, he was smiling this morning like everyday, saying to take care, and now…now he had disappeared from in front of our eyes.

I looked in the opposite direction. There were blood trails leading to the kitchen. Gerard got up from where he was and went down the stairs slowly. He walked over to the kitchen and just as he entered the door, he rushed over to someone.

I ran down the stairs and into the kitchen to see Gerard holding our mom. Mom was talking to Gerard softly as Gerard shook his head.

“MOM!!” I exclaimed as I ran over to our mother.

“Mikey…keep living…you too Gerard…watch each other…I know you’re old enough….” Mom said as I held her hand.

“No mom, we’re calling an ambulance and you are going to live. Please don’t die!” I said as tears begin to fill my eyes.

Gerard got the phone and quickly called the ambulance.

20 minutes later…

We were in the hospital, waiting for the doctor to come out of the ER.

Ray, Frank, and Matt were there too. Their parents had also come because they were very close friends with our parents.

I was crying in Gerard’s arms as he held me tightly to him.

“Mikes…Mikes…don’t cry…Mom isn’t going to die…” he said as he smoothed out my hair and wiped my tears away.

The doctor came out of the ER. I knew from his face that it was bad news.

“How is our mom?” asked Gerard.

“I’m sorry Gerard but unfortunately, your mother had lost too much blood.” The doctor said and left.

I crumbled to the floor. I was too shocked to hear anything else around me. I felt like everything disappeared right from my eyes.

Ray was saying something to me but I just couldn’t hear him at all. My mind was as blank as a sheet.

The only thing that I heard was Gerard saying,

“Someday we’ll get our revenge Mikey. Someday…”

And then everything in front of me went black and I fainted.


“Mikey? You ok?” I heard Sarah say.

“Huh? Oh..uh…sorry…”

Sarah came over to me and hugged me to her.

“It’s ok, I understand what happened Mikey. I’m really sorry…” Sarah said in a soothing voice.

Tears began to well up again in my eyes and I cried in Sarah’s arms for some while before I let go of her and stood up.

“Where are you going?”

“I’m going to tell Gerard what’s going on.” I said.

“But Mikey…”

I turned around to face her.

“But what?”

“You said that he wants revenge on that person who killed your parents! He can’t possibly kill one of the students here even though they are the ones that killed them!” she said. She did have a good point.

“But Gerard isn’t like that. He can control himself now.” I snapped at her as I left the room, feeling guilty about leaving her alone. I walked back into the room and hugged her.

“I’m sorry Sarah. I shouldn’t have been so snappy. I’m just over protective when it comes to stories of Gerard.” I explained and she nodded.

“I understand Mikey.” And she got up to follow me to Bob and Ray’ s room.

“Oh yeah and Mikey?”

“Hm?”

“Thanks for coming back for me.” She said as she kissed me on the cheek.

“No problem Kehli. I would never leave you...” I said as I took her hand in mine and walked to the room where the others were.

To be continued…