Status: Completed :D/D:

In Fate's Hands

Chapter 2

I looked at myself in the mirror and exhaled sharply, staring myself in the eyes.
“It’s going to be a good day today. Ethan is going to treat you like a human being, maybe even show you a little affection. Keegan and Kaedyn won’t be total asses. Ian will bring cupcakes no, no. Chocolate chip cookies. He will bring chocolate chip cookies. Everything will be good with the world."

I saw Nick in the mirror, standing behind me, leaning against the door frame, lifting one eyebrow at me.

“What are you doing, Riley?” He asked, smiling.

“Hoping for a good day, that’s what I’m doing. Can’t a guy hope?” I said, turning around.

“Well you can hope, yeah, but don’t have hopes that those hopes will come true.” Nick said, pushing himself off of the doorframe and letting me out of the bathroom.

“You never know.” I said, going into my room to find something to wear. “What do I feel like wearing today…” I asked myself, looking through my drawers. I pulled out my ripped skinny jeans and a black and white striped hoodie and a black t-shirt. “Hey Nick, do you know if Ian’s bringing cookies today? Or what he’s bringing at all?” I asked, stepping out of my pajama pants.

“He mentioned chocolate chip muffins, but don’t trust me on that.” Nick said, also undressing.

I kept thinking to myself that today was going to be good, today was going to be a day that I don’t get slammed into a locker by that jackass Ethan, or either of my brothers or that whore Chase. They all beat on me just because I don’t party excessively, or at all, like they do. I just think it’s a waste of time. I see no point in getting so wasted you can’t stand up.

“Hey Ry.” Nick called to me, pushing me out of my mind rant.

Yeah?” I asked, my shirt halfway over my head.

Nick held two shirts up to himself, giving me a questioning face, like he did every morning. I swear if I wasn’t here to help him dress himself in the morning, he’d be done for.

“The one on the right, it looks better on you with those jeans.” I said, turning around and grabbing my hoodie off my bed.

“Thanks, you’re a doll.” Nick said.

I laughed a little, not saying anything.

Once we were both fully dressed and we looked our best, we walked out of my room and grabbed Pop Tarts, sitting at the table, waiting for Keegan and Kaedyn to get done.

I’m so glad my parents aren’t home in the mornings. They’d be hounding Nick and I for not eating more than some Pop Tarts for breakfast.

“God, your brothers take forever.” Nick said with a mouthful of s’mores.

I rolled my eyes. “Tell me about it.”
“Shut the fuck up, the both of you.” Kaedyn snarled as they came into the kitchen.

“Lets go.” They said, walking out the door.

I sighed, my hope for my brothers being decent not coming true. We rose from our spots, throwing out the rest of our breakfast. We barely made it to the car without them driving away without us.

The ride was silent aside from Keegan and Kaedyn whispering to each other, Keegan looking back at us from the passenger seat every once in a while, snickering. I rolled my eyes in response. I heard Nick sigh, looking out his window as we pulled into the parking lot.

My heart rate increased slightly when I saw Ethan standing outside smoking. Once we were parked, we got out of the car and I met up with Nick on his side.

“Great, I’m gonna get it right away in the morning.” I said quietly so only Nick could hear it. He knew that the only person he really picked on was me. Everyone else he just badmouthed, but the physical torture was taken out on me. It made my life a living hell.

As we neared the entrance, Ethan stomped out his cigarette, letting me breathe a slight sigh of relief; no cigarette burns. He hasn’t, but it’s sure to be coming.

I tried walking past him as silently and unnoticed as possible, and I thought it was going to work, until my foot got caught on something, presumably Ethan’s foot, and I fell face first to the ground.

Ethan and the twins got a good laugh out of it as a mixture of rage and sadness built up inside me. I wanted to punch Ethan in the face, but at the same time, I wanted to sit in a corner and ball my eyes out. That corner would be safer, it wouldn’t include Ethan and his shit.

Ethan and the twins walked into the school, leaving Nick and I outside.

“Stupid fucker.” I said under my breath, getting up. “He’s seriously going to get it one of these days, I swear to god.”

Nick said nothing, looking pissed as well, and we walked into the school. Ahead of us, I saw Ethan and what appeared to be Keegan flirting, Ethan pulling him into the bathroom.

I scowled. “That’s so nasty. Why in the bathroom? Everyone uses those bathrooms.”

“I know.” Nick said, sounding disgusted, until he saw Ian coming down the hallway.

We both smiled and quickened our pace towards Ian. I greeted him with a hug, Nick with a kiss, smiles never leaving their lips.

I loved how cute they were together. That gave me slight hope that there’s someone like that out there for me.

I looked down at the Tupperware Ian had. “So what is it today? Chocolate chip cookies? Muffins?” I asked, eager to know, eager to indulge in whatever amazing food Ian was carrying.

“Well, today, even though Nick wasn’t supposed to tell you,” He glared at Nick with fake anger, smiling in the process. “I brought muffins. It’s a good breakfast food.”

I smiled and shook my head, taking a muffin from the uncovered Tupperware.

I took a bite out of it and, as I expected, it was amazing. “These are so good!”

“Thanks, hun.” Ian said, closing it after they both grabbed one, heading off to first hour, which Ethan wasn’t expected to be in today.

That put a smile on my face.