Status: Finished

Animal Attraction

Things Have Changed

At the door frame of the house Sean stood there. I walked up to him.

“You really need to get a life.” I said.

“Don’t be flattered, I heard the car and my dad told me to check if it was you. He’s been doing that every time he hears a car.” Sean grumbled.

On the other hand, I smiled, no I grinned.

“Aw, phase three begins. He starts to worry about me like a real father would. You are so losing, Sean.”

Sean closed the door behind him so we were the only ones outside.

“It doesn’t matter, Erin, because in just two months we’ll be gone to England and you’ll stay here in this town for the rest of your life.” Sean smirked.

“I rather stay in this town than become a spoiled brat like you.” I shot back. I walked past him and inside my house.

“Erin?” Landon asked from the kitchen.

I walked in the kitchen and saw him cooking.

“Hey, you’re cooking?”

Landon smiled. “I did dabbled in the kitchen when I was younger.”

“Where is Margaret and Angie?” I asked because I didn’t notice them around.

“Upstairs changing.” Landon yawned.

“Still not used to this time, huh.” Erin smiled.

Landon laughed. “It’s getting better, but no, not yet. How was work?”

“Tiring, but I have tomorrow off.”

Landon smiled wider. “Great! I was planning on taking everyone out since we’ve been here for most of the days.”

“Port Angeles has good stuff,” I said. “Whatcha cooking?”

“Oh,” Landon cleared his throat, “it is soup with some chicken.” He lifted a lid and I could smell the chicken.

“Hmm, smells delicious, Landon.” I said. “I should check if the girls are done. I need to shower cause I have dust from the bookshelves.”

I walked out of the kitchen and went upstairs and heard the shower running from the bathroom. When Margaret walked out, an hour later, I got in the shower. I was done in less time than she took. My mom arrived early from work and I was happy that I wasn’t going to be alone with them anymore.

Everyone sat in the living room to eat because the table in the kitchen was only for two people… my mom and I. There was never any guests except for Jared, but Jared and I ate in my room.

“So, Ms. Stone,” Angie said, “what can you tell me about Paul?”

I stopped eating and looked at Angie and suppressed a glare. I looked at my mom who had a raised eyebrow.

“How do you know Paul?” My mom asked.

“He’s been over a lot lately to talk to Erin,” Sean said and looked at me. “They’re quite… inseparable.”

“No, you must be mistaken. Erin and Paul have disliked each other since they’ve been kids… why is it again, Erin?” My mom asked.

Everyone looked at me. I could almost feel the heat of the spotlight that was on me. I swallowed the piece of chicken I had been chewing.

“We-well… it started with… uh… him breaking my coloring crayons and then the teasing me because I didn’t…” I didn’t finish.

“Why?” Angie insisted.

I didn’t want to think about it. It brought so many horrible moments in my life. I didn’t want to think of the humiliation Paul put me through because I was different.

“Because… I didn’t have a father… because no one knew who my father was. I’m not hungry… thanks, Landon.” I placed my plate on the coffee table and got up.

“Wait.” Landon said.

I didn’t listen. I just went straight to my room. I felt as the hot tears fell down my face. It all just hurt to think about. I didn’t want to be there. I needed to get out. I needed to forget about my sad life. It’s not horrible because I was sure someone out there had it worse than me, but still, my life was sad.

I pulled on my sweater and opened my window and got out. I made sure I had my phone with me. I always used to do this so I knew where to jump. There was a tree not too far from my bedroom window. Thanks to my gymnastic classes I was able to jump to it without problem and then land softly on the ground. I started to run.

Running always made things better. The adrenaline would start and it would release endorphins which took me to a high without actually being high, so I pushed my body until it begged me to stop running. I didn’t care if they would worry. I needed to clear my head. In less than ten minutes that I was gone my phone went crazy. I ignored every call and just walked around La Push randomly.

I ended up going to the cliffs. It wasn’t far from where I was. I walked on the little road that would lead me to the cliffs. I thought that maybe the sounds of the ocean would relax me. I zipped up my sweater because it was a cold night. Once I again I felt the hot tears run down my face. It was horrible to feel like an outcast for your entire childhood and I had to thank one person for that, Paul Parker.

I promised myself then and there that I would make Paul pay. I would have him on his knees and rip his heart out of his chest and make him watch. I know it sounded crazy and dumb, but I was so mad at him and I don’t think it was just Paul, but Landon as well.

I think I hated Landon more than Paul.

Landon was my father and he just ignored me! He thought money would make everything better. He didn’t think I would need my father to teach me to ride a bike or to do anything! On Father’s day I thought that I would at least get a call, but no, I got the envelop with a check in it. Not a letter. Not a photo.

I started to cry harder and I heard the snapping of a twig and I didn’t have any at my feet. I stopped and turned around and checked the dark night. It was hard to see. I convinced myself that it was nothing.

I continued to walk and made it to the cliffs. I heard the waves crashing against the rocks. I sat down close to the edge. Here is where it all started with Paul. It started with a dumb dare from Embry. I wondered that if I hadn’t taken the dare what would’ve happened?

I wouldn’t be having mixed feelings about my hate towards Paul. I may sound like a broken record, but he did make me go through some rough patches. If it wasn’t for Jared, Paul would be six feet under. Why couldn’t Jared have imprinted on me? I thought. I have so much in common with Jared. But he and Kim are so cute together.

I started to pick on the grass around me. My phone went off again and I sighed angrily and took it out of my pocket and threw it in the air and I watched as it hit a rock and shattered into pieces. Ten seconds later I realized what I did and smacked my forehead.

“Shit.” I muttered to myself.

My mom was going to be so pissed. I hoped we had insurance.

I didn’t have a watch or a cell phone so I didn’t know what time it was, but the moon was pretty high up which meant it was really late. I thought about asking Jared’s mom if I could move in with them. Mom forced this reunion on me. I didn’t want to meet my dad. I was over the fact that I would ever meet him. I was content with that.

I was more than fine about not ever meeting him.

But no, my mom had to go thinking I needed to meet my father and his goddamn perfect family. I was an outcast there as well. I wasn’t polite and well polished like them. I wanted nothing to do with them. I wanted to be with my mom and Jared. Just them. I didn’t want Landon and his family and I certainly didn’t want Paul.

I finally came to terms that it was time to go home and face the music. I got up from the ground and turned around. I gasped and let out a small yelp when I saw a large wolf standing at the wood lines. He was large, too big to be a regular wolf.

His fur was grey and he looked at me… like Paul did. It was Paul in his wolf form, I realized quickly. I stood still. He looked angry. He bared his teeth and I took a step back and almost fell down the cliff. I remember my foot feeling nothing but air and how my heart felt like it was floating and then something caught me. Paul caught me with his mouth by my hoodie.

The only thing keeping me from falling into the dangerous waters was Paul. I felt the cold wind in my face and how the salty water hit my face. My heart pounded against my sternum and now instead of the feeling of floating it was very heavy. Extremely heavy to the point where it hurt when it beat.

Paul pulled me back up to the edge of the cliff. He let go of me when I was safe and ran into the woods again. I waited in case he was going to show up, but then I remembered he thought I didn’t know about them. I got up on my feet and I was shaking. I looked down the cliff and shivered. I started to walk back.

There was an adrenaline rush again, but I didn’t want to go through that again. One thought went through my mind stronger that almost dying… Paul saved me. My hoodie was ruined, but he saved my life!

“Erin!” I heard a voice. It was Jared.

He wore only shorts and he jogged towards me.

I smiled. “Jar, the most incredible thing happened… well kind of… Pa--” Jared covered my mouth with his hand and leaned in close to whisper.

“They’re not too far behind me.”

I knew that by ‘they’ he meant the pack.

I removed his hand from my mouth. “I was almost falling down the cliff when this huge wolf saved me.”

“Huge wolf?” Jared played along. “Are you sure you didn’t bump your head?” He touched my forehead and I smacked his hand away.

“I know what I saw, Jared!” I yelled on purpose. “There was a large wolf who saved me from falling down the cliffs.”

“Your mother called me saying that you ran out… again.” Jared said.

“I’m fine!” I said.

“I thought I told you to stay home because it wasn’t safe.” Jared hinted with his voice.

Shit, the loose vampire. I forgot.

“It slipped my mind and what could be so dangerous, Jar?” I asked.

“Nothing for you to worry.” Sam walked out from the shadows. He too only wore shorts and showed his tattoo on his left arm. He was Alpha.

“Did my mom send you too?” I asked.

Sam nodded. “You’ve been gone for five hours, Erin.”

I shrugged. “I needed to blow off some steam.”

“Take her home,” Sam said. “Then we need to talk, Jared.”

“Did you see any large wolves?” I asked as Jared took my arm and started to drag me away.

“You must’ve really hit your head,” Sam said. “I haven’t seen any large wolves.”

“But there was… I swear!” I insisted. “Jar, you believe me right?”

Jared sighed. “Yeah, sure, Erin. Let’s get you home.”

Jared’s home was the closest.

“Did I do good?” I asked.

“Yeah, but I think Sam’s suspects… hopefully I can convince him.” Jared said. We got in his car. “What the hell were you thinking, Erin?”

I bit my lower lip. “Sorry, I was… just sad and I needed to get out. I forgot about the whole vampire thing.”

“It isn’t something you can just ‘forget’ Erin. It’s serious shit!” Jared shouted. “Do you have any idea how worried I was when your mom told me you ran out again? I swear I was going to have a heart attack. Not to mention I had to deal with Paul.”

“Paul’s the one who saved me… which I find it weird.”

“Why would it be weird? Any of the guys would’ve done the same.” Jared said.

“Oh, right, I guess. I’m just… surprised he would. I guess I always thought that if he had the chance to let me go he would… he has told me that before.” I said more to myself than Jared.

“Things have changed.” Jared said.

“How? I don’t get it!” I said.

“I wish I could say.” Jared said.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment :) I love to read your thoughts about the story. Is it good? Bad? Needs more Paul? Or anything. Have a fun weekend!!!