Status: Finished

Animal Attraction

Job Hunting

It’s past midnight and I couldn’t go to sleep. The guilt of what I had done to Paul had gotten to me. I laughed at myself and threw a pillow over my face to hide the loud laugh. I got up and continued to laugh uncontrollably. I thought about how I was feeling guilty for yelling at Paul so cruelly. I had done it before and a lot worse and straight to his face too but why had this time been so fucking different?

The night was it’s usual cricket chirping and owls hooting. I got up and pulled on some sweats and then two sweaters since the night, especially the middle of the night, was always cold. I checked on my mom and she was soundly asleep. I tip toed inside and pulled the blanket up to her neck. She moaned a little. I walked out of her room and down the hall towards the front door. I closed the door behind me and just sat on the porch.

The stupid kiss was what started it all. I closed my eyes and thought about the kiss and there was a tingling sensation on my lips. I groaned and opened my eyes.

“You are going to catch a cold.” A voice said that made me jump and almost fall on my ass. I turned to see Jared shirtless and just in sweats.

I smirked at his direction. “Talk about catching colds, then again that 103 something does help you keep warm like a bear in hibernation.”

“Yes, yes it does, darling.” Jared said sitting next to me.

“I take it you already know what happened with Paul and I.” I said and took the end of my hair and started to chew on it, nervous habit of mine.

Jared nods once. “He phased soon after he talked to you and--”

“I wouldn’t exactly call it talking, but it’s complicated.”

“Things have changed, Erin.” Jared said with a tone that I didn’t like. Jared was rarely ever serious and he was serious.

“Changed? Things have not, I still hate his guts for all of his bullying over the last twelve years!” I said in a loud whisper.

“Would it matter if he’s so---”

“Nah-uh! Don’t you say sorry on his behalf and I wouldn’t accept his apology if he got on one knee and begged me.” I said and got up. “Things have not changed, Jar.”

Jared got up as well. “But they have, Erin, I’m not allowed to say because it’s not my--”

“Look, I’m gonna go inside and sleep. See you later and don’t you dare talk about Paul in front of me again. Nothing has changed.” I walked inside of my house and went to my room.

With a reminder of why I hated Paul so much I was able to sleep a lot better. If I hung on to those memories of all those times he publicly humiliated me I could get through the weird phase.

The morning came too soon for me. I thought about my mom coming in to wake me up because it was time for school until I remembered it was summer and I had two months and a half to myself. I went back to sleep and didn’t wake up until my mom walked inside of the room and shook me telling me she was leaving for her first job. She gave me a peck on the cheek and I got up.

My mom smiled at me. I love her more than anything in the world. I may not be the best daughter in the world but I love her. I sat up straight and she had that look on her face that told me something was wrong.

“What is it?” I asked.

“Your… father is coming.”

I blinked in shock.

“My father?” I asked for reassurance.

“Called last night during my second job.” My mom said with a low sigh.

I scoffed. “How does he know where you work?”

“I asked him and he got a investigator to find out.”

“Where else would we go? It’s not like we have our bank full.” I said and rolled my eyes.

My mom laughed and kissed my forehead but then her smile faltered.

“His family is coming too, aren’t they?” I guessed correctly.

“His wife found out about you and wants to meet you.”

“What?! No, I don’t want to meet them. To them I’m… ‘the other’, the bastard.” I said in fear of their rejection. I wasn’t rich like them. I wouldn’t fit it.

“I know honey, but he really wants--”

“Mom, no!” I insisted.

“There’s nothing I can do. They’re on their way since last night they’ll be here before I get here so I want you to welcome them.” My mom said.

I crossed my arms across my chest and looked away from her with an angry look on my face. She tried to peck my cheek but I just moved away from her. She sighed and walked out of my room.

I took a quick shower and changed into something. I was going to go out the whole day, I didn’t care if I was going to be the third wheeler with Jared and Kim all day. I would not be there when those people got here.

I got out of my room and walked down the hall and made a right to the kitchen.

“I mean it, Erin, have some respect and be here when they get here.” My mom said and appeared in the kitchen with her waitress apron on.

“Well… I’m gonna be looking for a job… so I might not make it just exactly when they’re here.” I said and gave her a slide glance to see if she believed me.

She gave me a stern look. “I better see you with applications or else you’ll be grounded for the rest of the summer.”

I groaned. “Mom,” I whined, “you can’t possible make me like them.”

“Of course not, but at least show some respect and show you’ve been brought up right.” She waved her finger at me.

“You’ve threaten me with taking away the only free time I have a year… I guess I will have to.”

“That’s my girl, see you at night.” She bumped her hip with mine and we laughed.

I reached for my cereal and poured it on a bowl with some milk and chocolate syrup. I looked at the time. I went to my house phone and dialed Jared’s. He answered groggily.

“What?”

“I need a ride to Port Angeles to get some job applications.”

There was a silence on the other side of the line for about a minute.

“I’m not joking, Jar, I have to.” I said as I took a spoon full of the cereal.

“I think I’m dream. You used the word job in a sentence.”

“Har-fucking har.” I said sarcastically. “Just come, I’ve got big news and I need my best friend.”

“You’re in luck, Kim’s family are going to Seattle and I have the whole weekend devoted to you.” Jared said and got up and yawned.

“Yay, now get over here as fast as you can.”

“Yes, ma’am.” Jared said in a saluting manner.

I giggled and hung up the phone. I went to my room and straighten my wavy hair. I changed into something else. I really thought about getting a job. I could use a little extra money and so could my mom. I looked for my ssc and hoped for something. But in the economy we are it would be hard. In half an hour Jared was outside my house in his car. The music was semi loud and I recognized it as ‘More human than human’ by White Zombie.

I sang along with Rob Zombie and Jared joined in. We started to dance a little in our seats and laughed together when we messed up on the lyrics. After the song was over we were on our way. I looked over to him and saw the bags under his eyes.

He looked so tired.

“How long did you patrol?” I asked.

Jared shrugs. “Just about two hours after our lovely chat.”

“Wait, that means you only slept like four or five hours.” I said. “Jared.” I warned.

“What? I am obliged to protect you, Kim and everyone in this town.”

“From what? Vegan vampires?” I laughed.

He gave me a warning look and I rolled my eyes at him.

“Not all vampires are vegan.” Jared said and looked straight ahead with narrowed eyes.

“Whoa, human killing vampires are in town?” I asked and remembered he told me about ‘The Volturi’.

“No, but we still have to patrol.” Jared said. “What is the big news anyways?”

I blew a raspberry on my lips and looked out the window for a second and saw something gray pass by through the trees. I shook my head and told myself I was seeing things and turned to Jared.

“My father is coming.”

Jared looked over to me and then to the road several times. “You serious?”

“Super cereal.” I said in a sad tone.

“There’s more, I can tell.” Jared said.

I shifted in my seat uncomfortably. Jared truly was the only person I could talk to. He knew me inside and out.

“He is bringing his peachy perfect family.”

“Whoa, hold the phone.” Jared said. “They know?!”

“Apparently, because his wife wants to meet me and my mom.”

“And I thought my family was screwed up.” Jared muttered and I punched him on the arm.

“You are supposed to be helping.”

“Sorry but, jeez, how did his wife find out?”

I shrugged. “No idea, and I don’t want to meet them. I could go on without ever meeting them. I don’t want them to shove their perfect family in my face.”

“How did your mom take it?” Jared asked.

“She seemed calm about it, but I know she’s freaking out like I am.” I said and dug through his glove compartment and took out a gum packet.

“Heck, I would be too. So going to Port Angeles is an excuse--”

“At first, but now I do want a job.” I said and looked over to him. “I need mulla!!!” I said and he laughed.

“All right, all right.” Jared said.

We arrived at Port Angeles a couple of minutes later. He parked his car and we went off to different stores and started asking for jobs. It seemed that everyone was cutting down instead of hiring. I even went as asking in McDonald’s. But they were full.

Around the afternoon I was about to give up. Until we passed an old bookstore. I smiled towards Jared and he smiled right back.

“I think this store was made for you.” Jared said. “And look,” he pointed to the ‘Help Wanted’ sign, “they have an opening.”

I opened the door and I could smell the old books and its wondrous pages of knowledge. I walked up to the counter and hit the small bell. An old man peeked his head up from behind the counter.

“Yes?” He asked as he straight up.

“Help Wanted sign.” I pointed. “I wish to help.”

“You want to work in a store of old books?” The old man asked.

“I like books.”

The man scoffed. “No teenager likes books.”

“You haven’t met Erin, yet.” Jared said. “She has a lot of old books, hobby of hers. Creepy, though.”

I smacked his chest. “It’s not creepy.”

“Fine, pathetic work for you?” Jared muttered.

“It’s a very good hobby.”

“You’re hired.” The old man said. “I’m Mr. Markey.”

“I’m Erin Stone.” I took out my hand and Mr. Markey shook it.

“You can start Monday because you, my dear, have a lot of dusting to do.” Mr. Markey smirked.

“I can start right now.” I said and hoped he would agree so I can avoid meeting my father’s family.

“No need dear, let the slave work start Monday, enjoy your last days. Come here at eight sharp and you might want to bring a mask.” Mr. Markey winked.

Jared and I walked out of the book store and I frowned.

“Great, what am I supposed to do now?”

“You could come with me. I’m going over to Emily’s for a group meeting.”

I laughed.

“What?” He asked.

“Group meeting? Is that what you call a bunch of werewolves gathering together?”

He hardened his look and I sighed.

“Right sorry, fine I’ll go. Mom would never suspect me going to Emily’s.” I said and followed him to his car.

What I didn’t think was that Paul was going to be there as well and by the time I figured it out we were outside Emily’s house.
♠ ♠ ♠
Erin's Parents

Image

Thank you for all of your comments!!! But Keep Commenting.

The next chapter is super tight :]