Status: New chapter coming along :)

He Calls a Mansion, Not a House, but a Tomb

Chapter 2

I walked slowly behind the man, my fists shoved into my jacket pockets, holding my wallet in my right and an extra bus ticket in my left.
The street was mildly trafficked; only two or three cars passed every few minutes. The evening sky glowed orange-yellow in the West, as it transitioned slowly from day to night. The only people on the sidewalks were this man and I. An eerie silence drifted in the air as the pattern of the passing cars ceased and the road fell vacant.
I broke out of my trance, focusing on the clicking of footsteps on the dry gravel. Suddenly, I heard a song play sharply and I looked to the man as he pulled out his cellphone. He opened it without even looking to the caller-ID and answered happily.
I tried desperately to hear his voice, but I felt awkward and nosy trying to listen into his conversation. I gasped lightly when I realized I had sped up my pace and gone 3 feet closer to the man.
"...Behind me..." I heard a excerpt of what the man said and I frowned. I think I scared him, I thought and slowed down.
The man turned on the sidewalk, heading into a small suburban residential area. I followed him, adding a few feet to our distance.
I could still practically hear the other speaker in his conversation. And I agreed to it.
"Just ignore it!" It had said. I wasn't sure if the voice belonged to a male or a female.
After 5 minutes, walking down the block of houses, the man reluctantly hung up.
A flash of light caught my eye from ahead. I looked to see a small-framed man walk through the front door of a house, leaning his shoulder on the door-frame.
The man in front of me seemed to pick up his pace and scurry towards the other boy. I watched as he skipped up the porch steps, skipping every other, and hugged the boy. I tilted my head, watching the affection as they walked back into the house.
The front porch light, I noticed, stayed on until I was a meter past the house's path. I smiled to myself, seeing a large park at the end of the road. I decided to take a small walk through the dark nature before heading home.
I sat on a nearby bench, shivering at the cold wood at first. I closed my eyes, breathing deeply. I heard tree leaves rustling in the wind, feeling the cold rush through my black hair as well. The wind carried a sweet smell of flowers and other scents I couldn't quite recognize.
I opened my eyes and looked at my surroundings. A small children's playground sat in a large sand-box, looking completely deserted in the twilight. A small dog sat itself under a tree next to the sanded area of the playground.
I looked at it, staring at its dark coat which would have probably looked golden in the sunlight while its right ear was black naturally.
It stood up, looking at me in turn. I smiled, knowing it would be friendly. If it were a fierce dog, it would have already growled at me.
It quietly skipped towards me, stopping a foot away. It shyly stretched its neck out towards my pant-leg, sniffing me in a greeting. I smiled as it laid itself onto my foot. I chuckled and carefully stretched down to stroke its head softly.
Its neck stretched upwards into my palm and I knew it enjoyed my touch.
I breathed in and out of nowhere, I smelled the scent of tobacco. I sat up properly, spotting a man lighting a cigarette in the distance. Holding his cigarette in his right hand, he whistled softly.
The dog's ear brushed up against my leg before it jumped up, running towards the man. I smiled and turned to them, my arm resting on the top on the backrest of the bench.
I would have opened up with something polite or welcoming to say, for example, "your dog?" which would be completely stupid to say, after thinking it over. If it weren't his dog, why would it be so happy to see him? Or even simply saying "hello" would be somewhat awkward.
But, somehow, I couldn't control myself.
"Hi, is he your dog?" I made a hybrid of the two worst things I had thought of saying to the man.
"Uh, yeah..." He whispered. I bit my lip. Yep, awkward, I thought.
I squinted in the night, trying to make out the man's face. I then realised that it was the man I had followed from the bus. My cheeks burned as I thought this and stood from my seat.
"I-uum... Bye." I stammered before rushing myself away from the man, passing him towards the park exit.
I am the worst speaker ever! I mentally slapped myself for being that awkward. How could I just say "bye" like we're in some sort of meaningful conversation that would require the need to excuse myself from? I groaned as I sighed and walked away, glancing towards the same porch light that had dismissed my presence a few minutes ago.
I scanned the block with my eyes. This house was two down from the left, towards the park. I needed to get better at the "being invisible" thing... I was really interested in this man.
I heard the faint sound of the happy dog's bark fading as I made greater distance from the house.
♠ ♠ ♠
still pretty short as opposed to chapters on my other stories, but I hope you like ^_^