Träumer

Time To Pretend

Though Emma was confused and terrified, she embraced Bill and held him tight. She wasn't sure if this was the best thing today considering his body was all ripped up inside, but she didn't think twice.

His body was shaking, he was trembling all over. His skin was ice cold against her's like he was still dead. But she could feel his heart.. He really was alive. But how in the world..?

Bill muttered something inaudible. To Emma it sounded like a mixture of German and English, some phrase mumbled over and over again. She tried to listen but Bill was crying and she was crying and the doctor was calling for assistants and then telling them to leave and it was all too much. She couldn't hear him.

Emma let up her grip a bit and hoping it would help him calm down, leaned in to kiss his jaw. Maybe he would stop shaking and remember her this way. It was worth a shot in her opinion. But just as she placed her lips to his freezing skin, Bill lost his breath. He started wavering and his lips stopped moving and he went limp into her arms. Though Bill was skinny, he was rather tall and Emma couldn't handle the weight of him falling on top of her.

The doctor ran over and helped lift the boy off of her. But just as Emma backed away and let the doctor take care of him, Bill started to seize. His body shook violently on the table and he started to scream, a piercing sound that made Emma shudder. She started to cry again, in fear of losing him again.

Finding that nothing could stop his shaking and screaming, the doctor scrambled for a syringe and planted it right into Bill's neck. The boy's body shivered but then he was still. Bill was calm now, almost as if he was sleeping.

"I gave him a seditive," the doctor explained. "It was the only way to stop him from seizing."

Emma nodded and took a breath, still confused, wondering how and why this happened. She wondered how all of this happened, from his death to his rebirth. She figured this was just some silly dream. The whole night was just a dream. It had to be..

"I'm going to find some clothes for him," the doctor explained, staring at Bill's ripped clothes still scattered around the floor.

Emma nodded again, not knowing how to respond, and watched Bill's chest move up and down until the doctor came back. All he had was a pair of boxers, an old grey sweatshirt, and baggy jeans that were probably five sizes too big.

"It's a morgue, not a fashion house," the doctor said in responce to the look Emma gave him.

Well, it certainly wasn't what Bill would usually wear, but it would have to do. Emma helped Bill off the table and proceeded to dress him. His movements were lackadaisical but somehow she managed to clothe him.

When she was done and Bill was somewhat awake, the doctor directed her to the waiting room. Emma rested Bill on the couch and the doctor produced several blankets to keep him warm. He was really asleep now. Emma sat in the chair next to him and held his wrist, making sure she could still feel a pulse. She watched him like a mother would watch her child.

His hair was still covered in blood, but it was dry now, making his mane a matted mess. She had such a strong urge to give him a bath. For some reason, she was regarding Bill like some child and not someone who just hours before she'd wanted to be sexual with. Things can change pretty damn fast.

The doctor came in about ten minutes later. He looked stressed and in serious need of sleep. It had to be morning already. This ordeal had taken hours, hadn't it? Emma let out a shaky sigh, still watching Bill closely. All she wanted was understanding.

"How in god's name can he still be alive?" Emma asked him.

The doctor sighed and sat down next to her. He was silent for a few minutes, no doubt wondering what the best way was to explain the situation. He had heard of this happening before, but it was such a rarity. He never ever expected to see something like that in his entire career. He worked with dead people because well, they were dead. That way he was in no way responsible for what happened to them. You can't make a person more dead if they've already kicked the bucket.

Finally, he gave into Emma's tears and told her, "There is an occurance called rebirth. It is as rare as the sun not rising, if you can even grasp that.. The patient," he looked to Bill, "wakes up from the dead but cannot comprehend his surroundings or anything."

Emma was still confused. If it's so rare, then how could it have happened?

He continued to explain, "It's like a case of amnesia that can't be reversed. He is reborn, in a literal sense."

"So he doesn't know how to talk or eat or anything?" she asked, looking at Bill. She was concerned more than ever now.

"No. As with amnesia, the person in question still can perform normal life functions. He'll be able to eat, speak, all those human functions that he's been able to do his whole life. It's like an identity crisis, really. He won't know who he is, anything personal about his past, where he came from.."

"Will he be able to speak English?" Emma asked.

"Most likely not. But your German is good enough," the doctor replied.

The room was silent for a few minutes save for Bill's faint snoring. So what's next? Emma wondered, still grasping Bill's wrist. She really was in need of some sleep.

What to do with a star who knew nothing about himself?

"This will be hard, for the both of you," the doctor said quietly, breaking the silence. "I want him to stay with you. Rebuild him as you must. What you tell him is your decision.."

Emma cut him off, "You're asking me to raise him?!"

"He needs to be kept out of the spotlight, especially now. I can trust you to do that, since you're so close to him. There are obviously things about his life that he didn't like, otherwise he wouldn't have jumped from that building.."

"But I can't.. I don't know.."

"I promise you you'll know what to do," the doctor said, standing up.

Emma's head was racing. God I need some sleep. I need to think this over. I can't just be in control of Bill's life, can I? Oh god.. I..

"You can sleep here tonight," the doctor's voice made Emma jump from her thoughts. "Even if it is almost morning.."

She nodded and sighed and ran a hand through her hair. "Let's just hope for clarity in the morning," Emma muttered to herself. She laid down on the couch and fell right asleep, her hand still grasping Bill's wrist.
♠ ♠ ♠
so yeah. I know its probably still kind of confusing, but there will be more clarity as the story goes on.

anyway, subscriptions and comments are lovely :D