Tragic Hero

You're Exactly My Brand of Heroin

Ryan’s POV
Here I was, it was 7:30 and Brendon was out on his date with Laïla. I was literally jumping in my seat with excitement. This afternoon Brendon got three other phone numbers, planning to fill up the next three nights with them. Just seeing him flirt and get those girls numbers built up my confidence resulting in my descion to ask Laïla out next time I saw her. All afternoon I thought of what exactly I would say, what we do on the date, and so on. This smile was now planted on my face refusing to leave. Brendon even noticed saying,
“ Why the hell are you so happy? I’m going out with four girls while you stay home alone.” Even that couldn’t get me down, I just couldn’t wait. Now that Brendon was with Laïla I couldn’t wait until he got home, every minute got me closer to when I would go out with her.
Brendon’s POV
I was on my way home from Laïla’s apartment. I had just dropped her off after an amazing night. She was so different than other girls, with her there was no lust and definitely not love, but just this unknown element attracting me towards her. She was pretty, but in a cute way. She was funny and absolutely, certifiably crazy. We went to dinner and then walking around the park talking about normal subjects like family, when we got to the local pool. Living in Nevada, there were public pools everywhere because there is no ocean or lakes nearby, but since it was dark nobody was in it. She ran over to it yelling,
“ Let’s go swimming!” with a crazy look in her eye. She pulled a bobby pin out of her hair and started to unlock the pool gate.
“What are you doing,” I said in disbelief.
“You’ve never picked a lock before?” she said mockingly and with that the lock popped open giving us entrance to the pool. She ran to the edge pulling off her dress, leaving her in a black bra and panties set and jumped into the water with a cannon ball. I just stood there in shock.
“Come in, the water is great,” she said when she stuck her head above the water’s surface, her make-up running down her face. I quickly shed my hoodie, t-shirt and jeans standing in my boxers only.
“Really, Spiderman boxers, I would have guessed Superman, because you’re so full of yourself.”
“Well, they’re actually Ryan’s, because he remembers to wash clothes unlike me.”
“That makes sense. Ryan seems reclusive like Spiderman.”
“You really think that underwear determines what you’re like because black doesn’t really scream ‘Laïla’. I see you as more a leopard or zebra print girl.”
“Those are for the second date.”
“Really?” I said as I jumped into the water, tackling her. It was fun being with her, it was like when you’re little kids fooling around, getting in trouble. When we got kicked out by the cops we ran through the park, clothes in hand until we realized we were still practically naked. There was something about her that I couldn’t place, but I needed her and I truly wanted to be with her. I was still smiling.
Ryan’s POV
I was drinking my fifth cup of coffee, practically bouncing out of my chair. When Brendon left I thought I could just watch a movie, but I was way too excited to sit. So instead I decided to clean. I dusted the whole apartment, organized my CD’s alphabetically, now I was reenergizing. It had been three hours since Brendon had left and I was so anxious. When I heard his key in the door, I almost broke my coffee cup. He walked in and looked disheveled with wet hair and his sweatshirt on backwards. I should have known by the smile on his face that my smile would soon disappear, but I was just too caffeinated to notice.
“I had the best time, Ryan. Laïla is amazing.” I just blinked.
“I’m going out with her again on Friday.”
“What about Laura, Shanna and Katherine. Three girls, three nights.”
“ Oh, I don’t care about them, Laïla is just so addictive and cute and just WOW, you know?” And with that the smile shattered from my face just like my coffee cup on the floor.
“Woah, a little too much coffee, Ryan? Actually I forgot to thank you, without you bringing me to the store I would have never met Laïla.” He smiled again and tears just wanted to leak from my eyes. I looked down at the shattered pieces of the mug. The pieces of my smile, my happiness. The pieces too small to put back together, just like I would never smile again.