Status: next few chapters being written

City of Stones

Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

“You are Prince Ryder, seventh born son of King Darren of the Water Tribe, correct?” Jonah asked calmly.

I watched from a small spy-hole in the cave wall of the interrogation room as the prince stared back at Jonah stoically. Jonah waited a few moments to see if the prince would answer. He didn’t.

“Look, Ryder, we know who you are,” Jonah began.

The prince looked offended at this. “Don’t address me as if we are equals, mutt.” he snarled.

My temper flared a little at this, but Jonah remained calm, which is probably why it was he who was interviewing the prince, and not me.

“Ryder, we are going to find out what we want to know one way or another, the only difference you not telling us will be making our job a little harder. Do you hear that? Harder, not impossible.” Jonah said, his words threatening though he never raised his voice.

The prince stared back at Jonah, his face stoic again.

“Why did you come here?” Jonah inquired.

The prince looked away, his eyes scanning the room critically. I shrank away from my hiding spot, worried that he would see me though I knew that the spy-hole was far too small for him to see.

“Ryder?” Jonah asked, trying to get his attention again.

“How do you live in this place?” he demanded suddenly. “Why would anyone want to live like this? You people are like rats, scrounging off of what my people and the Fire Tribe have built. I didn’t think anyone could be stupider than the people of the Fire Tribe, but I guess I was wrong.” he sneered.

I snarled under my breath as I stood up from my hiding spot and stormed into the interrogation room. The prince jumped slightly at my sudden appearance but Jonah didn’t look surprised.

Jonah nodded at me calmly in acknowledgement.

“You’re going to sit there and let him say that?!” I shrieked in anger.

“Calm down.” Jonah said softly.

“He doesn’t know anything!” I screamed.

“Aleah!” Jonah shouted at me, grasping me by my shoulders and shaking me slightly.

I glared at him, tears of anger threatening to run down my face. Jonah’s eyes were sympathetic as they stared down at me. The prince, however, was staring at me coldly.

“What don’t I get?” he snarled. “That you live off of other people’s achievements? That you’re too stupid to help yourself?”

I made a move to slap the prince but Jonah held me back.

“Shh,” he murmured. “Calm down, and then I’ll let you show him what his people have done to us.”

I was trembling from rage, but I forced myself to calm down.

*

“Slow down, kid!” Jonah called from a good ten yards behind me.

We were climbing a steep tunnel within the city that led to a small ledge overlooking the city. Behind me were Jonah and the prince. If the prince didn’t believe that my people had worked hard for what we had and had suffered along the way, I would personally show him. I reached the ledge before Jonah or the prince and I sat down, hugging my knees to my chest, and waited for them.

Below me the city was bustling with life. I saw children running through the streets, mothers hanging clothes out the window on clotheslines to dry and some fathers chasing their children through the street, causing the young ones to shriek in delight.

“Do your thing, kid.” Jonah said from behind me.

I didn’t look around to face the prince. I just stared down at the city, searching for one person in particular. After a few moments of silence, I found him.

“See that man, standing by himself near the center of the city?” I asked the prince, pointing out the man. “He lost his two children to your people. They chased them throughout your city and then drowned them, he barely escaped himself.

“Do you see that child? The little black-haired girl? Both her parents were burned to death, entertainment for the Fire Tribe.” I continued.

I stood up, turning to face the prince now. He was staring out at the city, his expression guarded.

“Every single person in this city has lost their home if not a family member.” I snarled. “Do you still think we live like rats by choice?”

The prince finally looked down at me.

“My own father turned his back on my mother when she needed him most. He ran like a coward back to your people, and my mother was killed by the very people she had considered friends. I was forced to run from my home to survive. We live here because there is nowhere else for us to go. We live like rats because your people force us to. Do you get it now, prince?” I spat.

I turned and strode back down the tunnel before any tears could spill down my cheeks.