Amped Up: Why Is My Name Jason?

A Letter

Somehow, I knew that my uncle was telling the truth; my mother did have something to do with Dad ignoring me. I’m not really sure how I knew, but I did. But, what I wasn’t sure was how I was ever going to ask them about it. After all, according to them, Uncle Frankie didn’t even know about what was going on. He was the one to tell me about this. Therefore, I was going to have to come up with a convincing story to tell them without implicating Uncle Frankie as the one who alerted me as to this news. I sat around pondering this in my room that night when I noticed my mother float in and sit down just next to me. “So, Frankie knew the entire time about the ability that Betsy and I had, huh?” she asked me.

“Obviously,” I said.

She laughed. “I wasn’t sure if he could handle the news. That’s why everyone agreed that Frankie shouldn’t know that the truth. He obviously figured it out though.” She sighed. “I wish I could appear before all of them and make them understand all of this; unfortunately, only you, my sister, and your father can see me. Well, technically, it’s only you and Betsy since Kevin’s being an ass and refusing to play Lovebug. He needs to understand that he’s cutting his nose off to spite his face; if he would just play the song, he could see me.”

“We all know that, Mom,” I said hotly.

“I know that, Jason. It’s just…” she trailed off.

“Mom, please save it,” I exclaimed, interrupting her.

“Okay,” she shrugged.

Once my mother floated away, I grabbed a piece of paper and pencil from off the table. Furiously, I began scribbling out a note that I intended on giving my father. He was going to learn of the plan my mother put in place. I wasn’t even sure as to whether or not my father would read it, but I didn’t care. Right now, I just needed to get this off my chest and hopefully convince my father that playing Lovebug was in his best interest. Everyone knew the truth it seemed…everyone but him. So, if the New Year passed without him becoming aware of the truth, Mom’s link to us would be gone causing Aunt Lizz and I to cease all communication with her until the day that we each died. I didn’t want that to happen. After finishing the letter, I quickly looked it over to see if this was as I wanted it.

Friday, November 13, 2026

Dear Dad,

Since you have, unfortunately, been ignoring me from the moment I was born, I suppose that this is the only possible way for me to tell you this. From the moment I turned seventeen (7:05 PM), I’ve been in constant communication with Mom. That’s right. I’m the one with the ability to communicate with ghosts. I’m sure this was just as you suspected considering that I was born last. Well, whatever. The fact is that Mom came to me for a reason; she wanted to speak with you, but was unable to do so thanks to your stubborn attitude.

Initially, Mom was never supposed to contact me until my eighteenth birthday. Things changed though when you refused to play her favorite song. Yeah, I know of that. Despite the fact that you never wished for me or anyone else to learn of that song, Aunt Lizz told me. It was the one song I never heard. IDIOT! You shouldn’t stop playing Lovebug merely because Mom died. The fact is that you have to play it before the end of the year or else you’ll never be able to talk to Mom ever again. Oops! Did I just say that? That’s right. I did. Aunt Lizz and I aren’t the only ones who can communicate with Mom. You can too. Of course, the only possible way for you to do so is for you, Uncle Joe, and Uncle Nick to play Lovebug again. The moment that occurs will be the very same moment that Mom appears before you (It was the same with me. Aunt Lizz had found a copy of the song, despite the fact that you didn’t want me to hear it, and given it to me. Immediately after I played the song, Mom appeared before me and told me what was going on).

Dad, trust me when I tell you that playing this song is the most important thing for you to do. You’ll lose the chance to do so if you wait any longer than New Year’s Eve to play Mom’s song. Just forget about the fact that it’s her favorite song as well as the song that you two first danced to as a married couple. Think of seeing her again and being given the opportunity to speak to her. That chance disappears once the clock strikes midnight (whoa, Cinderella much?) on New Year’s. Mom loses her link to us on that day…unless you play her song. Play Lovebug for her. Do it and you can see her like me and Aunt Lizz.

Sincerely,

The one son interested in music (Jason)

P.S. I don’t want to lose Mom. Don’t do that to me.


I sighed and, after realizing that this was exactly how I wanted the letter written out, folded it up so that Mom wouldn’t be able to see it. I didn’t want her to know what I was doing here. She might end up convincing me not to give this letter to him, even though I knew that this was the only way for my father to realize what was going on. Aunt Lizz would probably agree with me. The only possible way for my father to even consider playing Lovebug again was for my to write him that letter explaining everything that was going on and why it was so important for him to stop ignoring me. This had better work, I thought as I slid the note into my pocket for the moment. If it doesn’t, I could end up losing Mom.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment and subscribe.