Different

Chapter 1

CHAPTER 1

-Indigo-


My hand shook slightly as I led the smooth, black eyeliner over the rim of my emerald eyes, leaving a thick, defying line which stood out against the colour of my white skin. I stood back from the mirror, observing my expressionless face in the cold glass. My jet black hair which framed my face, fell over my freshly outlined eye. I swept it away impatiently with my hand, and continued to stare at my reflection. Oh don't get me wrong - i'm not vain. What the hell do I have to be vain about? 15 years old and no friends.

Well...I had a few people I knew through cousins, parents...the usual sort. But no-one really cared about me as a proper friend. To them i was just another friendly face. A vaugue memory of a friend. You know. The kind who smile and maybe give you a small wave or a polit hello...before continueing to walk in the opposite direction from you. And I certainly didn't have any friends at school...

"Indigo hon, it's time to go!" I heard my mum call from somewhere downstairs.
i sighed and bentdown to pick up my black bag, before slinging it over my shoulder, and yelling a "Ready mum" to my awaiting mother. That was a lie and I knew it. Because I would never be ready for the same mocking disgust that my classmates seemed intent on joyfully treating me with. Going out of their way to make my life a living hell. Because, since I moved to america, thanks to a load of jocks, that's what my life is. A Living Hell.

I walked slowly down the stairs, taking my time. It's not like I was in a hurry to get to school. When I reached the bottom, I walked at the same slow pace, one step at a time, my bright green converse making a muffled "thump-thump" sound on the soft white carpet as I walked across into the kitchen.

Josie, my older sister, was already sitting at the table, munching on toast. She had the same shining green eyes as I had, but she had dyed her long black hair a glossy, fake-looking blonde, and it was swept into a high, sleek, not-a-hair-out-of-place ponytail. She had piled on blusher, lipgloss, mascara...and every other type of make-up you can imagine. I sighed, sadly taking in her new image. Why had she become like this? It had been like this ever since we moved here 3 years ago. And now at the start of a new year she was still the same.

Josie noticed me looking at her and snapped "What are you staring at me like that for freak?!"
"Jeez, nothing...." I muttered, alarmed by the sudden venom in her voice. Sounded like she was in school mode already, I thought bitterly. In school she was a completely different person, always ignoring me, like I was some kind of freak, staring her nose down at me. She hadn't yet joind in with the taunting but didn't bother to stop it. God forgive she ever be nice to me, I thought, sighing inwardly.

My mum came rushing in, looking stressed. "Josie that skirt is too short for school! theres no time to change it now though...indigo grabsome toast, you can eat it on the way!"
"MUM! IT'S JO FOR GODS SAKE! Not Josie! and I don't care about my skirt!" JO snapped.
"i'm not hungry Mum" I said quietly.
"Oh come on, don't fuss, have something to eat!"
I sighed. "Mum, I don't want anything" I said in the same tired voice. My Mum sighed too. "Fine let's go. come ON Josie!"
"its...JO!" was the last thing I heard before she stormed out (well...as much as you can storm in pink highheels) into the driveway, slamming the door hard behind her.