Different

Chapter 26

CHAPTER 26

~Indigo~


I woke up with a start.
The lights were off and I could just make out the faint outline of the others dotted around the room. EmahLee was lying on top of Mikey, clenching his tee with her fist in her sleep. Frankie was sprawled next to me, frowning slightly in his sleep. Anne was curled up in the corner, but strangely Gee wasn’t with her.
I saw him out of the corner of my eye over by the window.

He had the window wide open and was staring out into the night, the moonlight falling on his pale skin, making him look haunting. His eyes were staring out into the night. He had a sad look about him…as if he knew something no-one else knew. He sighed and brushed his black hair out of his eyes.

Slowly he looked down onto the pavement below and a small but sad smile slipped onto his face. Still not taking his eyes off the night that lay beyond us outside, he sighed.
“Go back to sleep Indigo” He whispered.
My eyes widened.
“How…how did you know I was awake? I didn’t even move!”
He laughed softly.
“Don’t worry I’m not physic or anything. Your eyes were open. I just saw you out of the corner of my eye.”
I nodded.
“Why are you awake?” I said quietly.
“Oh. Couldn’t sleep. Don’t worry. It happens often.” He replied.
My eyes lowered to the floor.
“Yeah…me too…”
He turned to face me, looking tired and concerned.

“You shouldn’t lose sleep over people who aren’t worth your attention Indigo.” He said, “I saw how that Jake guy treated you…he’s an arsehole…don’t listen to him.”
“I know” I said in hushed tones, “But I worry about my sister sometimes…and I have these nightmares…” I stopped abruptly, not wanting to say anymore.

“Look…I don’t know what’s going on with your sister…but worrying about it won’t help. You’re a smart girl Indigo, and you shouldn’t have let her problems torture you. It’s up to her to overcome them…not you.” Gee smiled weakly at me.

“So what about you?” I said quietly.
“Me…? I said…don’t worry about me. I was just thinking about someone. Just…yeah. Just thinking about someone. Well, night Indigo…I’m going to bed…get some sleep.” He smiled warmly at me.

So I closed my eyes and dimly watched Gee as he walked slowly back to his sleeping bag and before I knew it I had drifted off to sleep…

~IN THE MORNING~

“Hey lovebirds wake up!” yelled Mikey in my ear.
I rolled over and realised I was lying on Frankie’s chest, his arms around me.
“Jeez Mikey...not so loud! What time is it?! It can’t be fucking morning already!” Frankie moaned, his chest moving up and down with every word.
Then he noticed the position we were in and blushed furiously.
“Sorry!” he yelped, sitting up immediately so that I fell off his chest and tumbled onto his legs.
“Sorry!” He repeated, rushing to stand up so he could offer me a hand up.
EmahLee giggled sleepily.

“Ann! Wakey, wakey!” EmahLee said, shaking her softly, much more of a preferable alarm then how Mikey woke us up…
“Gee’s just making breakfast!” Mikey giggled. He sure seemed like a morning person, where as Frank on the other hand…

We wandered downstairs, still in wearing our slept-in crumpled clothes.
“Breakfast…” Gee said, proudly placing a pile of pancakes in front of each of us, “…Is served!”

“Gee I didn’t know you could cook!” EmahLee gasped.
“Yeah well, we couldn’t leave Mikey who sticks forks in toasters to make breakfast now could we?” Gee laughed.
“Hey! That was one time!” Mikey huffed, digging into his pancakes.
“Welf Iwf wewy nife Gewward!” Frank mumbled through a full mouthful (translated as “Well it’s very nice Gerard!”). He had almost finished his pancakes already.

I stared down at my pancakes.
“Aren’t you hungry Indigo?” Ann asked, appearing in the doorway.
What was I going to do? Gee had obviously spent time making this and I couldn’t not eat them! Could I…?
“Uh…” I started, “Frankie do you want mine?”
Frankie shook his head, though it looked like it was torturing him.
“No you eat them Indigo its fine.” He said smiling at me and trying not to look at the pancakes for fear of changing his mind.

Suddenly there was a knock at the door, and I thankfully shovelled the pancakes into the bin while no-one was looking. I couldn’t eat food... I just…couldn’t.

“I’ll get it!” Mikey yelled, and ran to open the door.
“Woh Indigo that was quick!” Frankie said, referring to my empty plate.
I nodded, but inside I was twisting myself into sickening knots…