Different

Chapter 39

CHAPTER 39

~FRANKIE~


“I hate to break it to you Indigo, but maybe it’s time to go home?” I smiled at her, ruffling her hair.
She pouted.

“It’s only...uh...11:30!!” she checked her watch, her eyes widening, “Shit!! Mum won’t care where I am, but Josie might be worried!”

“Hey don’t worry Indigo! We said we’d go for a walk, she knows that! It’ll be fine” I reassured her, draping my jacket around her shoulders, “Now come on, I’m walking you home!”

She looked hesitant.
“Oh Frankie it’s fine really! I can walk by myself! I’ll be fi-”
But I cut her off by placing a hand over her mouth.
“Nu-uh! I’m walking you home” I said firmly.

She smiled at me and I removed my hand from over her mouth.
“Have it you way then” Was all she said, sticking out her tongue as we began to tread along the frozen ground to her house.

Luckily, it was only a short walk to Indigo’s, and we were soon out of the dark suffocating branches of the forest.

“Here we arreee!!” I grinned, “Want me to wait to see f you’re okay?” I asked her on the doorstep.

“I’ll be fine! Stop fussing over me!” she laughed, pushing me jokingly.
I pulled her closer to me by the sleeves of my jacket she was wearing, and kissed the tip of her nose.

“Naww, but isn’t a boyfriend allowed to be a little protective?” I whispered, smiling.

A smile secretly crept onto her face.
“If you put it that way then” She blushed, causing me to do the same.
I guess that’s what we were now...
A couple.

I kissed her softly goodbye, and, before making sure she had the key to the house, and everything was okay (despite her protests), before finally walking off into the night, back to my own house.

~INDIGO~

I crept into the house, quietly shutting the door behind me.
“Josie” I called softly, “I’m home!”

There was no answer.
Familiar panic pulsing through my veins, I pushed open the door to the living room and found her sleeping soundly on the couch, clutching a cushion to her chest as if it were able to hug her back.

Breathing out deeply in relief, I pulled a blanket over her and kissed her forehead.
“Night Jo” I whispered.

Then I was off into my own bed to dream of life in general.

But still my Mother didn’t return.
But it didn’t matter.
She’d be gone by the morning anyway...

Because my Mum was the kind who was perfect. Perfect hair, perfect social life, perfect job...
And her not so perfect daughters.

“Why couldn’t I be more like the other girls?” she’d ask.

She’d wanted two A-grade, beautiful young daughters; all smiles and sugar.
Not me with my rock music, ripped clothes and problems.
Not Josie with her piercings, wild make-up and fighting streak.

And because we weren’t the nice, quite girls she had hoped for, we weren’t considered valuable enough to play a part in her life.
To her, we would never be right.

Some people are so adamantly blind when what they should really cherish was right under their nose all along.