Different

Chapter 44

CHAPTER 44

~Josie~


Realisation hit me in the form of a mercilessly solid floor. I scrambled up from my slumped position, and tried as hard as I could to collect my panicked thoughts, my breath coming out in short, ragged gasps as I wiped the cold sweat from my damp forehead.

I must have had another bad dream, I realised, pulling myself back into my normal sitting position on the faded blue couch. I noticed a thick blanket draped smugly over my legs, and smiled briefly, noting that Indigo must have put it there, with a sudden rush of gratitude.

My mind raced back to the sickening dream as I tried to recall it, my face screwed up in concentration. Flashes of it came regretfully back to me, bit by bit from the unsavoury dregs of my mind…

I was running desperately, as far and fast as I could away from the pounding footsteps, mere inches behind me.

My heart was in my mouth and my hair whipped into my stinging eyes as I put forward step after excruciating step, pain sweeping through my body, making it almost impossible to move.
I reached a vast lake, its waters glistening like the blade of a knife, and turned, unsure of what I should do.

I bit my lip, salty tears streaming down my stricken face, as I saw him edge closer and closer to me. With no other choice, I leapt into the depths.
Suddenly I was gasping for air as I gulped more and more water into my lungs…


I trembled in the dark as the vividness of the dream swept me back into all my usual fears.
I’m home now, I reassured myself, nothing can hurt me.

I switched on the miniature lamp sitting on the coffee table, and clung to the cushion next to me, like I was a defenceless little child.

Taking deep breaths, I almost laughed at myself despite everything. Look at me! Almost in tears over something that wasn’t even real!

But it is real; you know perfectly well it’s all true… another voice seemed to whisper in my ear, he’ll be waiting for you, wherever you go.

I switched the light off abruptly, and it’s warm glow ceased as the darkness swallowed me along with my thoughts.