Click, Click, Shoot!

So Long, Cool Girl.

Image

I closed up my diary, tying it shut with the leather string that wrapped around it. I squealed excitedly, flopping back onto my bed. I still was overjoyed that Jordan had offered to take me on tour, and I was even more excited that my dad had said yes. They surprised me today, during our small birthday dinner.

My name is Ruby Quentin. I’m 18 years old, and I live with my dad, Peter. I’m an only child. My mother died when I was 12, and my dad has been raising me since. I was born here in Indiana, and I’ve lived here my whole life. I met my best friend, Jordan Witizgreuter, when my mom took me to the park one day when I was 6. I sat down next to him in the sandbox, and we had been inseparable ever since. He had been with me through elementary school, and all through middle and high school. He had been there for me when my mom died, too. I remember one night he snuck through my window and held me while I cried. Jordan was the best friend I could ask for. And now he was talking me on tour!

It was even more surprising that my dad had said yes. He was a very overprotective father, and I understood why. I was his only daughter, and his only child. We were a tight-knit family, and when my momma died, it devastated him. He was really careful that nothing happened to me, because we were all that each other had left. I was glad that he thought me responsible enough to handle going on tour.

I was going on tour! I still couldn’t believe it. I decided to go thank my dad again, so I got out of my bed quietly and walked down the hall to where his room was. I knocked softly.

“Come on in, Ruby Q.” He called out, and I smiled. His voice always made me smile. He called me Ruby Q ever since I was a little kid. It used to embarrass me, but I love it now. I opened his door softly, and saw him reading a book. He smiled when I walked in, and put the book down. I crawled onto his bed, resting my head on his shoulder.

“What’s up?” He asked, kissing the top of my head.

“Just wanted to say thank you again, Dad. It really means a lot to me.” I replied, looking up at him and smiling. He smiled softly, the edges of his eyes crinkling. I was going to miss him, I could already tell.

“Of course, Ruby Q. I know that you’re responsible enough to handle it, and I know that Jordan won’t let anything happen to you.” He said, rubbing his hand on my arm. I nodded, this was true. Jordan was like the overprotective brother I never had.

I leaned up, and kissed his cheek softly.

“I’m gonna go to bed now, gotta wake up early!” I said, grinning at the thought. My dad laughed quietly.

“Alright, Ruby. I’ll see you in the morning. Night, kid.” He kissed the top of my head, and I gave him a hug before jumping up and moving back into my room.

I slid under the covers, and looked over at my suitcases. They were already packed and ready to go for the morning. I squealed excitedly again, and then calmed down. I knew that if I was going to wake up in the morning, I couldn’t be thinking of all the exciting things that would happen. I instead turned to the picture of my mom, which was resting on my dresser.

“Can you believe it, Mom? Dad’s letting me go on tour. Maybe I’ll get some pictures of good stuff.” I whispered, wondering errantly if she could hear me in heaven. I had a feeling she would. My mother had always been a photographer, taking pictures of everything and anything she could. I wanted to do what she did, and that’s another reason Jordan was taking me on tour. I was going to take pictures of the bands, backstage and onstage.

I smiled, and turned over, closing my eyes as I slowly drifted to sleep.

The next morning, I was jolted awake by my extremely loud alarm clock. I hit it quickly, jumping out of my bed with excitement. Today was the day! I rubbed my eyes to get the sleep out of them, and moved to my closet, grabbing a Superman t-shirt and a pair of red jeans. I changed quickly, tying on my favorite pair of beat-up, black Converse. I put my phone in my pocket, and packed my phone charger in my suitcase. I ran a brush through my thick brown hair, tying it back in a loose ponytail. I put my camera around my neck, the big, black, clunky thing hanging near my stomach. I grabbed my suitcases in both hands, and kicked the door open. I ran down the stairs as fast as I could, jumping down the last two stairs. I
landed in front of my dad, who was talking to Jordan.

“Ah, here’s our Ruby now.” My dad said, turning to smile at me. I grinned back.

“Morning Daddy, morning Jordan! I’m ready, let’s go!” I said, bouncing on the balls of my feet. They both laughed at me, and Jordan hugged me.

“Chill, Ruby. We’ll leave as soon as you say goodbye.” He said, laughing quietly. I turned to my dad, and put my suitcase down, throwing my arms around him.

“Bye, Daddy.” I said in his ear, kissing his cheek quickly. My dad laughed, hugging me back.

“Bye, Ruby Q.” He said, kissing the top of my head. I smiled, taking in everything I could about him. I wouldn’t see him in person for the next six months, and I wanted to remember every detail. A minute later, I let go, resting back on my feet.

“You take care of my little girl, you understand?” My dad said, pointing his finger at Jordan. Jordan grinned, and nodded.

“Yes sir, Mr. Quentin. I’ll make sure she comes back in the same condition she left.” He said. I rolled my eyes.

She is right here, and she is anxious to go! So, come on!” I said, throwing my hands in the air. “Let’s go!” Jordan and my dad laughed at me again, and I folded my arms over my chest.

“Alright, alright. Let’s go.” Jordan said. I hugged my dad one last time, promising to call him as often as I could. Jordan slung an arm over my shoulder, and picked up my other suitcase. I waved goodbye to my dad, and we walked out of my house, shutting the door behind us.

“Wow!” I exclaimed, looking at the large tour bus. “I thought you said that you weren’t bringing your band.” I said, looking over at Jordan.

“Oh, I’m not. I figured since it was the two of us, we could share a bus with another artist.” He said with a shrug. “Do you mind?” He added, biting his lip out of nervousness. I shook my head.

“Nah, it’s cool. Who are we sharing with?” I asked, moving towards the bus.

“A good friend of mine, Christofer Ingles. You know, NeverShoutNever?” I felt my eyes widen. Of course I knew NeverShoutNever, I had almost all of his CD’s! I loved his songs, and I was a huge fan.

“Uh, yeah I know who he is!” I exclaimed, moving onto the bus. I pushed past the curtain that separated the driver’s seat from the rest of the bus, and into the back of the bus I would be living on for the next 6 months.

Sitting on a chair, his feet propped up on the table, a guitar across his lap, was Christofer Drew Ingles. He was humming, and his eyes were closed. I was star struck, and I did the
only thing I knew how to do.

I picked up my camera, and took a picture of him.

The flash obviously startled him, and his eyes snapped open, and he sat up quickly.

“Holy cow, what…?” He asked, rubbing his eyes. I laughed quietly.

“Sorry.” I apologized, putting my suitcase down. “I…um…it was…y
eah. I’m sorry.” I said again, unable to think of a good reason for taking his picture. Jordan walked in behind me, chuckling when he saw Christofer.

“She snapped you, didn’t she? Chris, this is Ruby, the girl I was telling you about. She’s the one that’s going to be taking our pictures.” He said, putting my suitcase down next to my other one.

“Ruby, this is Christofer, the guy we’re sharing a bus with.” Jordan added, standing next to me. I smiled at Christofer, who was standing up.

“It’s nice to meet you.” He said with a wide grin, holding out his hand for me to shake. I felt my heart flutter.

Joy, I’m going to be like a fangirl this entire trip. I thought, shaking his hand. He was about 4 inches taller than I was, and when he grinned, he was adorable.

Yep. So long, Ruby the cool girl, and hello, Ruby the fan girl.I thought again, stepping back.
♠ ♠ ♠
(: