That's Where You Take Me

Face Off

Everyone stood there for a moment looking between Brian and Median, who seemed to have forgotten that there were still people watching them as they stood just staring at the other. Michelle raised an eyebrow at Rowan and she started shooing everyone around back. Alex saw the look in Michelle’s eyes and grinned. He knew what she was up to. As they made their way around back Alex shoved Brian toward Median as Michelle shoved Median towards Brian. They had to grab one another to keep from falling.

Glaring in the direction that Michelle and Alex had gone and disappeared, Median was quick to remove herself from Brian’s arms, taking a few steps back from him as she did so. Brian only rolled his eyes at his ex-girlfriend’s actions as he allowed the blonde to put some distance between them. Things were silent between the two for a few moments, before Median ran a hand through her hair, looking up at him as she did so, and said,

“I guess we need to talk, huh?”

“That’s one way of putting it, yeah.” He answered with a nod, not breaking eye contact with her once.

“I didn’t mean for you to find out like that…”

“Did you mean for me to find out at all?” Brian asked, raising an eyebrow at her.

“What? Of course I did!” She said as she glared at him, not liking what he’d just implied and letting her emotions get the better of her. “Besides, I’m not the only one to blame for this. I was the naïve, drunk girl in that situation, not you!”

“… You’re right. I’m sorry.” He apologized, realizing his previous choice of words hadn’t been the best. Median, however, was already angry and ignored the sincerity in the apology he’d just given her.

“For what? For not realizing you weren’t wearing a condom and not pulling out?”

“No, for everything. It should have never--” Brian began, only to have Median cut him off.

“Should have never happened? Why? Because you got me pregnant? Too late now isn’t it? I can’t fucking believe this…”

“That’s not what I was going to say!”

“Really? Then what were you going to say? On second thought, forget it. I don’t want to know. You know I’m pregnant and you can be in the baby’s life or not, that’s your choice. I’m done talking to you right now.” Without another word, Median stormed into the house slamming the front door behind her and making Brian groan. That hadn’t gone at all how he’d hoped it would, and he knew it was only a matter of time before Rowan, and god knew who else, would be standing in front of him demanding answers as to why she was so angry. Answers that he didn’t even have himself.

Rowan and Michelle looked at one another when they heard the door to the house slam. Alex and Matt looked at one another and Matt laughed when Rowan stood and pointed to James and then to the house. James slumped down in his chair and sighed. She glared at him and went inside. Before a word was said Rowan and Michelle were moving toward the front yard. When they got around the house they saw Brian was sitting on the ground leaning against the garage wall.

“Oh honey what the hell did that son of a bitch say to you?” James said as he walked into the house and finally found her curled up in a ball on one of the beds in a guest room. Median looked up and he saw the hurt on her face and crying. Her hand was on her stomach and just thinking that he thought it never should’ve happened made things worse. She made up her mind though about what she had been thinking about rather quickly.

“I’m fine, I just need to go home for a few days.”

“You want me to do anything?”

“I don’t want to stay with Matt and Rowan when I get back…”

“What about your apartment? Your job?”

“Frankee’s mom said if I ever wanted it back I could have it. I gave up the apartment.”

“You could stay with me.”

“James…”

“There’s plenty of room and I’m sure Christina won’t mind.”

“I couldn’t.. she doesn’t really know me…”

“Well when you get back from Montana, you can get to know her.”

Brian looked up at the two girls with total emotion in his eyes. Michelle was ready to go off on him, but Rowan move so she was squatting down in front of him at eye level. She saw the hurt, sadness and anger in his eyes.

“You said the wrong thing and didn’t mean to. You fucked up and she stormed away…”

“She thinks I don’t care…” Michelle rolled her eyes.

“If you cared you’d have followed her inside.” Michelle said glaring at him. Rowan looked up at her and sighed. She would let Michelle be the one to go off on him. She had a point and she would let her make it, but it was obvious that Brian may actually do something about what had just happened.

“She…”

“I don’t want to hear it Brian…” Michelle trailed off when Median walked out of the house with her duffel bag over her shoulder and walked to James’ car with him. “Where the hell do you think you’re going?”

“I’m leaving what does it look like?”

“It looks like your leaving with James…” Rowan said glaring at the man.

“I’m taking her to the airport chill the fuck out.”

“Why?” Michelle, Rowan, and Brian all asked at once. Rowan smiled at him.

“Because I’m going home.”

“So what you think running away from the problem is going to fix it? I swear to God Median, don’t make me drag your ass back here. You’re gonna talk to him and I don’t care what it takes. You are NOT GOING BACK TO MONTANA.”

“You aren’t my mother Rowan, the one I have already hates me. Besides I’m not staying there. I’m coming back.”

“WHEN?” Rowan demanded.

“I don’t know. In the next month maybe?”

“A month…?”

“Or Two, look I’ll be back. I just can’t be here right now.”