That's Where You Take Me

Her Written Words Echo In His Head

Matt woke with a head on his shoulder and a body curled close to him and when he turned his head he closed his eyes. He had been hoping that it had all been a really bad dream. He lay there for a moment and was thankful when she rolled over in her sleep and off of him. He moved carefully from the bed not wanting to wake her and pulled his clothes on quickly and found his keys. He closed his eyes and mentally yelled at himself. He had done it and now he had to admit that he fucked up all because he was pissed off because he was a stubborn ass. As he slid behind the wheel something caught his eye in the early morning sun. He leaned down and picked two objects up off of the passenger side floor board.

Fuck!” Matt yelled as he found himself looking down into his hand at her engagement ring and his spare car key. He wasted no time in leaving and got lucky when he didn’t get pulled over on his way home. When he got there he didn’t see her SUV in the garage or in the drive way. He prayed to god she was at someone else’s house. He went inside and set his keys and her ring on the entry table and walked around the house. He noticed the closet was left open and the majority of her clothes were gone. Her suitcases were missing and so was her duffel bag. He suddenly felt like his world was falling apart. He moved from the bedroom back downstairs with the intent to start drinking. He however didn’t even get past the fridge because there on a piece of white notebook paper was a letter written in her hand writing. He pulled it down and stared at it. Finally focusing on the words.

After reading the letter he sat down in disbelief. How could she say that she’d loved him forever and then say that they weren’t meant to be together? How could she do this to him. One fuck up. That’s all he’d done, and he didn’t even know how she knew about that. He looked back down at the paper just as his phone vibrated in his pocket. He pulled it out and looked down at it and opened the text from Brian.

Where the fuck are you? Matt ignored it and re read the letter one more time.

I won’t keep you from seeing the baby, but that’s the only thing tying me to you. All I wanted was you. And I‘ll always remember that I had you for just a little bit. Matt read that line a few more times and knew it was going to take a hell of a lot of begging to get her to come home to him. He just had to find out where she was. He glanced up as someone knocked on the front door. Carrying the letter with him leaving his cell phone on the table he walked to the door to answer it. He opened the door and found himself staring at a very pissed off Zack, Johnny, Jimmy, and Zack’s parents. He swallowed and said not a word as they made their way inside.

“How the fuck could you have been so stupid?!” James Baker yelled at Matt. Matt just stared at him and said nothing.

“I can’t fucking believe you. Now the girls are all fucking pissed because no one can get a hold of Rowan! No one knows if she’s okay or not and you…” At this point Jimmy shoved Matt backwards, “…just had to go out and cheat on her…”

“With Val of the fucking people in this goddamn world you go back to that fucking…”

“Whore!” Johnny yelled cutting off Zack, “I can’t believe you. What the hell were you thinking? I mean my god she loves you and you’re…”

“Willing to throw all of that away because of Valary? What has gotten into you Matthew Sanders? That girl would’ve gone to the ends of the Earth for you. And you just took it for granted that she would what? Be here when you got back from hurting her and breaking her heart again.” Maria Baker said her voice harder than usual and she didn’t raise her voice once and that alone had everyone backing away just a little bit. A moment after she finished speaking Coby walked in the front door, not bothering with knocking and before anyone knew what was going on his fist connected with Matt’s face.

Rowan sighed as she drove. She took a sip of her soda and at a stop light she pulled a CD out and popped it in her player. She flipped through the songs until she found one she wanted to listen to. She started singing along with the song Fuck You and paying attention to the music helped take her mind off why she was leaving again in the first place. She drove for hours without stopping, but when she realized how hungry she was she pulled over at the closest place to eat and thought about calling her brother. She sighed and thought better of it as she ordered her food and when she sat down to eat it she glared at her sandwich. She calmly walked back up to the counter and told them very nicely that she hadn’t ordered her sandwich with Ketchup on it and showed them the receipt that clearly stated that was what she had said. When the lady at the register argued with her she glared at her and a moment later the manager was raising his voice at her and she just went off and by the end of the next ten minutes she was gone, with her food made properly and her money back.

Rowan made New York a few days later and sighed as she finally crashed on a bed in her hotel room she immediately fell asleep only to wake hours later to her cell phone going off. She picked it up and looked at the name on the screen. It was her mom. She sighed and answered it.

“Mom…”

“I told you so.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Fuck You - Lily Allen