That's Where You Take Me

First Look At Happiness

Brian was pacing the living room while Median sat with her laptop on the laptop stand that he had bought her for when she was in the living room, because she could no longer sit with the thing on her lap. She was going through her music and not really paying attention to Brian. She was also looking at names online trying to figure out what she wanted to name her daughter. She glanced up at Brian briefly and tilted her head to the side.

“Babe what are you doing?” She asked him. He stopped pacing and turned to look at her.

“Your brother is supposed to be here soon.”

“Alex isn’t…Brian calm down. Everything will be fine. He’s not going to try and kill you. If you’re that worried about it he can stay at a hotel.”

“No, because then I’ll look like a coward.” Brian exclaimed immediately.

“Brian…” Median said as she stood from her computer and walking to him. “You are not a coward. You are the sweetest man in the world. And you’re doing this for me.”

“I know, but baby…”

“Brian it’ll be fine. Besides my pretty new ring should smooth the way anyway.” Median said smiling down at the ring on her finger. Brian looked down at her hand and smiled. His dad had gone with him to get it and that had been a step for his dad, but he had explained to him, he wanted to marry Median because he loved her. Not because she was pregnant.

“I love you Median.”

“I know, I love you too Brian.” He pulled her to him and held her in his arms for a moment and pressed a hand to her stomach smiling. That was their baby and he couldn’t wait until she was born.

“Did you find any names yet?” He asked. She smiled.

“I was thinking Scarlett.”

“I like it.” Brian said and lowered his lips to kiss Median, only to stop before he could as there was a knock at the door. Median smiled up at him and he moved away from her as she moved back to her laptop. A moment later Closer was coming out of her laptop speakers and when she heard her brother’s voice she smiled and stood as Brian and Alex walked into the room. Alex didn’t look all that happy that it had been Brian that answered the door. Median walked to him and smiled.

“Hey Alex.”

“Median.”

“How was the flight?”

“Long.” was all he said.

“Well we were thinking that if you were up to it we’d all go out to dinner tonight.” Alex just raised an eyebrow waiting for Brian to be the one to say it….

“Yeah, I thought it would be nice for everyone just to relax tonight and have a good time.”

“Alright, is there somewhere I can shower and change first?”

“Yeah.”

“I need to change to.” Median said and Brian nodded. He shower Alex upstairs and then he walked into his and Median’s room just as she pulled her shirt over her head. Brian placed a kiss on her forehead before walking to the closet and pulling out a black button down shirt and Median handed him a pair of dark jeans. He smiled at her as she walked from the room.

Median was shutting down her laptop when Alex walked into the living room. She glanced up and said nothing at him in his plaid flannel button down with the sleeves rolled up, a pair of beat up jeans and cowboy boots. She smiled at him and he took in her purple top with draping sleeves, that still showed her tattoos and shook his head. She smiled and rested her right hand on her belly as Brian walked down the stairs. Alex saw her eyes brighten and turned to see that Brian was now joining them. Brian said nothing at Alex’s clothes and took Median’s hand.

“Are the two of you ready?”

“Yeah.” Brian grabbed his keys off the hall table and lead the way out to the garage. He opened the door for Median and Alex rolled his eyes as he got in the back seat. Brian said not a word as he pulled out of the garage and shut the door. Median glanced sideways at him and smiled. She didn’t know where they were going to dinner and when they got there she smiled. He was trying to show off. She just shook her head.

“I thought we were staying in Huntington.”

“Oh well, I changed my mind.”

I bet you did Median thought but kept her mouth shut. Brian just grinned.

“Brian?” Median turned at the same time Brian and Alex did. Alex raised an eyebrow.

“Dad, Suzy, what are you guys doing here?”

“Probably the same as you. Who’s this?” Brian Haner said nodding towards Alex.

“This is my brother Alex. Alex meet Brian’s parents, Brian Sr., and his wife Suzy.”

“It’s nice to meet you. We were just leaving, we’ll be over tomorrow Brian, we’ll bring your sister and make sure your brothers come as well.”

“Alright. Tell McKenna I love her and I’ll see her tomorrow.”

“I will.” Suzy said as she took her husbands hand. As Brian’s parents walked away Brian lead the way into the restaurant and Median smiled at him. He had brought her here a few times since they had come back from Montana and she was already thinking about what she wanted. Alex looked around and Median knew he felt out of place, but she wasn’t going to say anything because she really loved this place. Once they were seated and handed menus Alex glanced up at Median raising an eyebrow as Brian who wasn’t paying attention to him told the waitress to give them a minute before they ordered their drinks. Median just grinned and opened her menu.

“I want something I haven’t tried yet. Everything from here is so good.” Alex looked up from his menu and looked at sister.

He can afford this on a whim? And he takes her out all the time? But he didn’t want to state that out loud so he went back to looking at his menu.

I didn’t even have to put effort into that one. Brian thought and Median kicked his foot under the table catching his smirk out of the corner of her eye.

“Are you all ready to order your drinks?”

“Yeah, I want a coke, Median?”

“Same, Alex?”

“I’ll have the same.” Alex said and the waitress walked away. No one really said anything as they continued to look over their menus. The waitress came back with their drinks and smiled at them as she set them in front of her.

“Ready to order or do you need a minute?”

“No, I think we’re ready. Alex.” Brian said.

“Grilled Filet Mignon, medium with potatoes and a vegetable.” Figures Brian muttered under his breath and Median kicked him under the table as she told the waitress her order.

“I’ll have the Spinach and Cheese Ravioli.”

“And I think I’m going to have the Halibut with Rosetta Mushroom sauce.” Brian said and he heard Median groan quietly beside him and he turned his head to look at her as Alex glared across the table.

“What? What I do?”

“You ordered fish.” Median said watching her brother.

“What’s wrong with fish?”

“Alex, well lets just say had a really bad accident while fishing.”

“Uh…”

“Let’s just leave it at that.” Alex said looking at his sister. As they ate it was quiet and nothing was really said. Halfway through the meal Alex happened to notice the ring on his sisters finger.

“Median, what the hell is that?”

“What’s what?” Median asked raising an eyebrow at her brother.

“On your finger…”

“Oh isn’t it pretty, it’s my engagement ring. Brian asked me to marry him last night.” Alex just stared at her in disbelief. Brian grinned and leaned over and kissed her on the forehead. The rest of the meal was quiet. Alex wasn’t sure what to think about this new development. When they were finished their waitress came back over.

“Can I get you anything else?” Brian normally would’ve said no but he knew Median loved their brownies. He glanced at her and she grinned.

“Yeah a Good for your Sol Brownie, for her.”

“No problem it’ll be right out.” When she came back Alex raised an eyebrow at his sister.

“Seriously Median? You just how much sugar have you had today?”

“What I’m pregnant, I’m allowed to want sweets, speaking of baby before we leave can we get one to take to Rowan?”

“Sure, we’ll drop it off on the way home.”