That's Where You Take Me

Montana

Median was unable to sit still the ride from the airport to Tarrant. She hadn’t told Nate that she would be coming this soon. Or if she was coming at all for that matter. She sighed and Brian took her hand. She glanced at him and sighed as she rested a hand to her stomach. He smiled at her.

“I love you Median, and this isn’t going to change that.”

“I know, I’m glad.” She said as he made the turn as she motioned for him to. They pulled into the police station and she got out of the SUV and stood there for a moment. She tilted her head to the side and studied the building.

“Median?”

“Hmm?” She asked as she started towards the doors.

“Are you okay?”

“Oh, yeah, just remembering the last time I was here. It’s weird willingly walking into the police station.”

“Willingly?”

“Last time I was here, I was so drunk that it wasn’t funny. I had gotten into a fight with some guy at the Tavern.” She said and he only shook his head.

“I’m not gonna ask.” Was all he said and took her hand as she walked in. She looked around and walked over to the little desk where the Dispatcher, Marianne Hough sat.

“Hey Mari, I’m here to see Nate.”

“He’s in the back, in his office.” Mari said without looking up from the book she was reading. Median shrugged and walked back to the office. She turned to Brian and took his hand. She knocked on the door frame and Nate looked up.

“Median?” He asked staring at her. She just laughed.

“Yeah it’s me Nate.”

“I wasn’t expecting you…”

“What to be pregnant?”

“No, well yes, but I wasn’t expecting you for a few days at least.”

“Well I’m here. Nate, my fiancé Brian, Bri, this is Nate Gibson, Tarrant’s Chief of Police.”

“Nice to meet you.” They said at the same time. Median rolled her eyes.

“Where’s Aslyn?” Median asked.

“At home, with my Momma.”

“Want me to head out there, I think I remember the way.” Median said causing Brian to raise an eyebrow at her.

“Nate and I used to get into so much trouble when we were teens. Looks like he landed on the right side of the law.”

“And you finally got the fuck out of Montana.” Nate shot back grinning. Median rolled her eyes and grabbed the keys that Brian handed her and headed out. Brian following her.

“So, how close where you and Nate?”

“We never dated Brian. Beside’s you know damned well, it’s not like I have past…”

“I know that. I was just asking, because you two seemed close.”

“He was my best friend. First time I got drunk we were fifteen and we got so sick. His Dad promised not to tell my parents, and as far as I know, he never did.”

“Nice.”

“Yeah, and here we are.” Median sighed as she got out and shut the door behind her. She walked to the door, and knocked. A moment later a pretty red head answered the door. Median’s eyebrow shot up. “Rachel?”

“Median? Look at you, still getting into trouble?”

“Your momma home Rachel?” Median asked trying not to clinch her fist.

“Yeah, hold on let me get her.” She turned and closed the door in Median’s face. Median rolled her eyes, reached out and turned the door knob and shoved the door open. She walked in and Aslyn immediately saw her and ran to her. Rachel turned and narrowed her eyes.

“Do you know how to wait until you’re invited in, before entering a house?”

“Rachel, leave her alone. She’s welcome in this house, whenever she wants, and she doesn’t have to knock.” Teri Gibson said walking out of the kitchen. Median smiled at her.

“Thanks Mrs. G.” Median said and Aslyn pulled her over to the couch. The minute that she was sitting her three year old niece was beside her and crying her eyes out. Median held her, but she looked towards Teri for an explanation.

“What happened?”

“They don’t know yet. You want some answers, I’ll watch her and you head on over to the farm. Danny’s out there with the rest of the fire department and some others. The arson investigators there as well.”

“Thanks. Aslyn, will you stay here with Mrs. G?”

“Are you going to come back for me?” the child asked. Before Median spoke Brian did.

“Yeah, we’ll be back.” He pulled a key off his keychain as he got an idea. “Honey give me your key.” He said looking at Median. She did as he asked and he handed them both to Aslyn. “You see those keys? Those are the only way into the house. If we don’t come back, we won’t be able to go home, and since you’re going home with us, I guess we have to come back.” He was caught off guard as Aslyn wrapped her arms around him and just held tight for a minute. He hugged her back and Median blinked back the tears. When he stood he watched as the child tucked the two keys in her pocket.

“I won’t loosed them.” She said and Median smiled. “Promise.” And a moment later they both left.

“That was some quick thinking in there Bri.”

“Yeah, well as long as we don’t mention that the others have copies, we’re golden.” He said. She laughed.

“You remember the way?”

“Somewhat. You wanna drive?”

“Yeah.” And she slipped behind the wheel and placed the keys in the ignition. She sighed and backed out of the drive way. After about thirty minutes they got to the farm and all Median could do was stare. The place was leveled by the fire. She parked beside Danny’s truck and slipped from the SUV. Brian was beside her. She walked a little ways up and called out.

“Hey Danny!” He turned and so did some others.

“Gibson, get them away from here!”

“It’s Median, Winters.”

“Oh, well, take her down to the little house.”

“On it boss.” And he walked to Median. He hugged her and she looked at the building.

“What happened Danny?”

“Looks like someone rigged the place to blow. Your Grandmomma’s fried chicken, was blown everywhere.

“Are you sure it wasn’t a grease fire?”

“No, is there any reason your Grandmomma would have the oven on, while she’s frying chicken?”

“Not unless she had biscuits in to go with it. Was there a pan in the oven, or…”

“No.”

“So this was on purpose?” Median asked.

“I’m sorry Median.” Danny said as they approached the little house. They walked in and she looked around. She saw something sitting on the stereo. She walked over, Brian left the door open.

“What’s that Median?” He asked.

“Was someone staying out here?”

“Yeah, Alex.”

“Go figure.” Median muttered.

“Did you fight with him before he came back here?”

“Yeah. We fought. About Brian. Like usual. He had a problem with me moving down there, they all did.”

“Yeah, your Dad, he only bitched that your Momma was always bitching about it. He was just glad that you were happy all in all.”

“Yeah, well, doesn’t matter now. Can I walk through here?”

“Sure, tell us if anything looks out of place. Or unfamiliar.”

“Danny, I haven’t lived here in a while. If my brother was staying here, his shit is going to look really unfamiliar.” Median said but made her way through the small house. She sighed as she headed back to the bedroom. She noticed that clothes were everywhere.

“So Alex.” She muttered under her breath. “What in the hell is that?” She said and moved towards the nightstand. “Jesus Christ, when the hell did he start smoking Pot?” She asked a loud. She shook her head and opened a few drawers. He had at least a half stashed in his drawer. “Stupid fucking idiot.” There was a bunch of other stuff in the drawers, but not out of the usual for a guys nightstand. She opened his closet and went through his clothes. Nothing out of the ordinary there either. She walked out of the room.

“There’s just nothing in his room that shouldn’t be, except maybe the weed and the bowl, I’ll look through the rest of the place.”

“Okay, and what Weed?”

“That’s what I want to fuckin’ know. He didn’t smoke that shit. He barely even drank for god sakes.” Median muttered.

“Hey, ya’ll what’s going on?” Median glanced back towards the open door and saw Nate.

“Going through my brothers stuff.”

“Yeah, been through once already, nothing popped out of the ordinary.” Nate said.

“Was there any weed in the night stand when you went through it?” Median asked.

“No, why?”

“Because there is now.” Brian said and the four of them looked at one another. No one said it, but they were all thinking it.

Whoever did this is still out there, and is most definitely coming back.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, don’t kill me, but there is only one more chapter after this, and the turn it took, most definitely going to be a sequel. I love you all and hope you enjoyed this one. Next chapter up as soon as possible. I promise, and then you‘ll have to wait on the sequel.

Lovez && Hugz && DeathBatKisses
xSweet.Afterlifex

Post Song:
You Belong To Me - Taylor Swift