That's Where You Take Me

Broken Hearted

“Damn, Lacey what the hell did hit me with?”

“My fist?” She was gonna make them figure it out. She wasn’t in the mood, her friend had been hurt and was now refusing to come to the party that weekend.

“Unless you started wearing jewelry, I wouldn’t have a … HOLY CHRIST!”

“Dude, Brian what the hell is your fuckin problem now?” Zack asked.

“Have you seen the rock on her finger?”

“What the hell are you talking about?” Michelle asked.

“Probably something stupid the fucker.” Matt muttered. Rowan ignored him and looked at Lacey’s hand.

“How the fuck did I miss that? I’ve been with you most of the day. Better yet why didn’t you fucking tell me?”

“We were kinda busy…”

“Wait… what… Damn Johnny.” Zack said finally catching on.

“Aww Zack finally caught on. About time.”

“Shut up Ro, your boyfriend still hasn’t caught on.” Zack responded back.

“That’s iffy, and yeah I have, congrats Johnny.”

“Iffy?” Rowan asked raising an eyebrow. Matt just walked inside and slammed the door.

“So who’s going after him?” Jimmy asked.

“I vote Ro…” Leana said and shoved her toward the door.

“Fuck You I’m not that stupid.”

“Rowan, just go inside and talk to him.” Johnny said as he wrapped an arm around Lacey.

“I say Michelle does it this is her fault.”

“Fuck that, you’re the one sleeping with him.”

“But--”

“GO” they all yelled.

“I die, I’m haunting all ya’ll fuckers and Brian…you’ll never be happy again.”

“Why’s that?” Brian asked.

“Because I'll make it my mission in the afterlife to pop up anytime you're getting ready to have sex... you will die a very lonely old man.” Leana laughed

“You wouldn’t…”

“Wanna test that theory?” Rowan asked raising her eyebrow.

“Dude… you know she would.” Zack said.

“You know you’re just wasting time. Get your ass in there or I’m gonna…I’m gonna call your brother.”

“LEANA, you wouldn’t…”

“Wanna try me?”

“Alright, I’m going, damn.” and Rowan walked up the steps and into the house. She closed the door gently behind her. “MATT?” She called out looking around for him. She moved through the house and finally found him sitting out on the back patio. He was staring at his hands. She was just glad that there was no alcohol around him. She sat down in front of him. “Can we talk?”

“No”

“Matt… please, be mad at me, but don’t do this.”

“I don’t wanna talk Rowan Lynn Shaddix, I just want you to leave.”

“MATT, please, seriously it was fucking high school. What the hell did you want me to do wait for you?”

“YES”

“Matt, how many stupid mistakes have you made in your life? And don’t try to tell me none.”

“A few…”

“Then don’t fucking judge me. Besides I highly doubt you were a virgin when high school was over.”

“It doesn’t matter…”

“You know what then why does it matter who I lost mine too?”

“Because he’s my best fucking friend…”

“Oh please you were closer to Jimmy in high school.”

“Fine you want to know the fucking truth?”

“It’d be nice.”

“Val…”

“I don’t give a shit about her…”

“The first time she cheated on me… it was with Brian.”

“When?”

“Prom…”

“PROM?”

“Yeah…”

“That mother fucking bastard…”

“Lemme guess, you were the date he ditched.”

“Yes…Matt please, don’t do this to us… we finally get the nerve to…” He moved and pulled her to him. She put her hands on his chest to stop him from kissing her. “Let me finish.”

“Fine…”

“I finally got the nerve to make my move, and you want to just end it?”

“Rowan, look at us…”

“Matt, you’re killing me, and I don’t think you see it.”

“Rowan…”

“You know what just forget it, I don’t see how you can do this. It happened ten years ago. I had to move on Matt. Looks like I’m gonna have to try to again. Maybe Frankee was right. I should’ve gone to New York after senior year.” and with that Rowan walked back through the house and didn’t say a word to anyone as she left.

Median looked up at a knock on the door and stood to open the door. She had called off work and planned on staying in that night. She opened the door and found herself face to face with a bawling Rowan. She raised an eyebrow and then she saw the heartbreak in her eyes. The two of them ordered Pizza and then enrolled the man in the apartment above Median’s to go buy them a case of beer. They both spent the night in the living room.

“Wanna know something Median?”

“Hmm?”

“Men are pigs… all of them.”

“Yeah”

“Especially the guys, well Johnny’s cool, he and Lacey are engaged. Leana and Jimmy are happy. And poor Zack doesn’t have a girlfriend anymore.”

“So why us?”

“Because Matt and Brian are assholes.”

Michelle stood staring at Matt with pure hatred in her eyes. The others were standing behind the brunette and none of them could believe it. Matt went to say something and this time it was him that got hit. As Michelle’s fist connected with Matt’s jaw he staggered back completely caught off guard.