Status: Too be continued....Currently working on the nineth chapter.

Vampire Hunter - Let's Stake Them All

Chapter One: I'll stake you!

It was late in the evening when I was walking home. It had been a long day. All of my teachers hated me today and my friends refused to talk to me. I’m not sure what I did wrong today but whatever. Who needs them? I could feel the wind lightly brushing my hair out of my face. The trees were rustling softly to the beat of the wind. I could hear the crickets and the soft chirps of the birds. But there was one sound that was indescribable. It was indescribable because it was more of feeling then a sound but it made my heart beat faster. The feeling didn’t surprise me. It wasn’t fear that made my heart beat faster it was adrenaline. It was always kicked in when a vampire was near. A family trait I hated oh so very much. I was a vampire hunter. I didn’t take pride in it though most would say I’m the best in the business. Apparently it happens every one hundred years. Along with this “greatness” comes a longer life. I’ll be eighteen for the next fifty years before I’ll start to age or until the gene is passed to someone else. All of my senses are heighten, at times I can control the elements and I’m quicker than a normal human. Lucky me right? No, because as it was once said ‘With great power, comes great responsibility’. I hated responsibility. Ok, that was a lie. I just hated this responsibility.

I heard a branch behind me snap. I turned to face the noise. I always tried to play the innocent girl who’s afraid. It always draws them near. You would think that vampires were smarter than that. Their senses are more heighten than mine. But usually they are so blood hungry that they get sloppy on picking their target and it costs them their life.

“H-hello.” I stammered out, hoping to lure him closer. I knew where he was. The branch may have snapped to my left but he’s was now on my right. He was contemplating to lunge now or when I turned around. Either way I was ready for him. I held an enchanted silver dagger in my right forearm similar to how an assassin would hold his dagger. Also if I kicked my boots just right, I had daggers in both of them. They came in great handy when kicking.

He moved again. He didn’t move in to lunge at me but to back away. He knew I was a hunter. I smelled the air. He was frightened. This was different. Typically they come in for the kill, get angry that I’m fighting back and then I kill them. Never do I smell fear from them. It set him apart from every vampire I’ve ever killed. It didn’t change that he was going die tonight.

“We’re both aware of what we are, so why not face me?” I spoke into the air. But he said nothing in return. He simply stood where he was and stayed where I was. I could still smell fear. He must be new, that had to be the reason for his fear. “Are you going to make this hard for me? I really like a challenge. It’s a change from the others.” I felt like I was talking to myself. He continued to stay mute.

I felt the wind pick up. I was getting irritated about this. I knew he was faster than me but would he run? He’s afraid but yet he stays in one spot? It’s very fishy and normally I would think this was trap (traps usually fail with me with the heighten senses in all) but he was the only around. He intrigued me. He had a death sentence. I don’t come across that often. Actually this would be the second time. The first time was the first time I found out I was hunter. The vampire followed me around for days and weeks. It was completely creeped out. But one night he tried to attack me and adrenaline kicked in and I stabbed with a pencil. A pencil! I freaked. The worst part was when he turned to ashes. I remember running home crying so hard. My parents sat me down and explained everything to me. So here I am today.

What made this vampire different was, he hadn’t followed me for days and he didn’t want a death wish when he first made his presence known. He was trying to confuse me. Tricking me into thinking he was harmless then he’d kill me. Well it was now or never. I took a few steps toward him. He didn’t move. He just stayed in his spot in the shadows. What the hell? I gave a few more steps to close the distance between us. When I stopped was when he decided to take a step out of the shadows.

“Paul? Paul is that you?” Oh my… Paul was my best friend. He hasn’t been at school for a week. His mom told me she hadn’t seen or heard from him. I was so worried about him. I swallowed hard.

“Yea, I’m sorry Abby. I wanted to tell you but I couldn’t.” I have to kill him. It’s in me. I can’t fight it, it’s what I born to do. I could feel the tears running down my cheeks. This was by far the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do. But he was a vampire. Paul was a vampire. “Abby, talk to me.” He pleaded with me but I just shook my head. He stepped closer and wrapped his arms around me. I took his embrace knowing it was the last time I’d ever see him. My heart began to pound harder and I knew what I had to do.

“I’m sorry Paul.” I said as I shoved the dagger into his heart. “I’m sorry.” I continued to whisper as I watched him fall to his knees.

“It’s ok.” Those were Paul’s last words. This was the responsibility I hated. I just killed my best friend. I ran home as fast as I could to the comfort of my room. I slammed the door shut and cried.
♠ ♠ ♠
This was done for a contest but by demand I'm going to continue this into a story!