Status: Will Have No More Than 4 Chapters

Fighting A One Sided War

If You Can't Live Without Me, Why Aren't You Dead Yet?

We hadn't even been driving for two hours before the music became nothing more but background noise and the silence between the two of us started to really bug me. I kept looking down at Destiny's GPS system, the numbers of miles left didn't seem to be moving fast enough. After a while Destiny slowed down a bit.

"What are you doing?" I asked nervously. It was pushing four and we had to make it to her house by the afternoon.

"Getting gas dork. Want something from the gas station?" She gave me an odd look as she pulled into a parking lot and up to a gas pump.

"Oh...uh...yeah I guess." I said relaxing. "Um..Get me a Coke and like two bags of chips." I said as I dug a five out of my back pocket. I handed it to her along with a few pieces of pocket lint.

She nodded. "Any particular kind of chip?"

I shook my head. "’Nah, just whatever."

"'Kay," She said as she shut the car off and unbuckled her seat belt. She got out of the car and shoved the five into the front pocket of her black jeans and hurried inside to the warmth of the gas station.

I watched my breath fog up the glass of the window as my mind slipped into memories that I hadn't recalled in awhile. We had been together for years...I had no idea how I let myself slip up like that. And then, she didn't even break up with me! I broke up with her because I knew how much I had hurt her, she thought it was her fault, or that she wasn't good enough...That girl, she could defiantly drive me up a wall sometime. But she wasn't just that girl; She was my girl.

The opening of the car door caused a rush of icy wind to fill the warm car and pull me from my thoughts. Destiny handed me my stuff and my change.

"Thanks." I mumbled. I looked in the bag, cheese Doritos and barbecue. I nodded and pulled out the barbecue.

"Yeah, no problem." Destiny said opening up a bag of ranch Doritos and popping one into her mouth. She put a bottle of Cherry Dr. Pepper in the cup holder and brushed her hands off before starting the car back up.

"Um..Aren’t you going to get gas?" I asked, pointing at the window.

"I already did..." She said slowly, looking at me out of the corner of her eye. "You feeling okay there Zack?" She asked we pulled out of the parking lot.

"Yeah, sorry. Must have been lost in thought. I do that a lot lately.." I mumbled, before crunching on some chips.

"So I noticed." Destiny murmured.

I ate my chips noiselessly and carefully drank my pop. I was doing everything slowly, trying to hide my shaking arms. I was so nervous. Not nervous to see her, or to hear her voice…But nervous…Because I didn’t know. I had no idea what was going to happen or how she was going to react. After what seemed like forever without conversation I finally took in a deep breath and blurted out; “So, howhasshebeen?”

“What?” Destiny asked, taking a sip of her pop.

“I said,” I took a deep breath, “how has she been?” I swallowed hard and tensed up as I waited for an answer.

“Truth or sugar coated?” Destiny asked
“The truth.” I sighed.

“Horrible. She tries pretending that she doesn’t miss you. But she tries too hard. I mean, she’s doing better than…Than when you first left, but…” Destiny ended her sentence there; turning her focus back on the long winding stretch of highway.

I chewed on the back of one of my snakebites. My heart was beating fast, I was having doubts. I kept thinking that maybe I shouldn’t go back. It would only make it harder on the both of us…If it didn’t work out...It would kill her…Kill me.

“Zack? Dude, are you okay?” Destiny asked after a few minutes.

I didn’t realize I was still tense until I felt all my muscles relax. “Yeah…Yeah I’m good. Just thinking…” I sighed.

“Well we’ll be there in about an hour or so.” Destiny said yawning slightly.

I jumped forward and grabbed the GPS system off of the dashboard, ignoring Destiny’s complaints. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I read that we had a little more than 80 miles left to go until we reached her. I slowly leaned forward and set the small computer back on its base. “Wow.” Was the only thing I said.

Destiny yawned and turned off the CD’s that had been on repeat for like the last 100 miles. I sighed as she fiddled around with her 6 CD changer stereo, taking out an Escape the Fate CD to replace it with one of her favorites. It was a band called Mayday Parade it was their first CD, entitled A Lesson in Romantics.

I closed my eyes and let Jamie All over entwine its self in my thoughts. Soon enough I found myself and Destiny singing along.

And please don't tell me that I'm dreaming
When all I ever wanted was to dream another sunset with you
If I roll over when it's over
I'll take this Cali sunrise with me
And wake up with the fondest memories

We made love by the ocean
As the waves crashed around you
Sunsets never were so bright
And the skies never so blue
You opened up into my arms
And we laughed as I held you
I'll never go back to Georgia
Not at least till I have to

Down and to the left
Here's the map and the pen, the place you pointed at
Be California's best
All I ask, all I ask


I didn’t even like this band and the lyrics really started to get to me. “Explain to me why she likes this band again?” I asked half heatedly.

“Oh c’mon Zacky, Mayday isn’t bad music. “ Destiny said as the song changed.

“I never said they were bad…Just…Different.” I said with a small laugh.

“Hey, that was the first time I’ve heard you laugh this whole time.” Destiny pointed out.

“I guess I’m just finally starting to relax.” I said.

“That’s good, because we’ll be pulling into her driveway in about 60 miles.” Destiny said tapping along to the third track.

I swallowed hard as a million thoughts ran through my head.