Sequel: *** Isn't My Case

It Was a Lie When They Smiled

Breakfast

Delilah's POV

"Pass the syrup," Gerard asked. I reached over Frank and grabbed the big bottle.

"Thanks."

"Je t'en prie, monsieur." Today was definatly a French day, which was good because France was the first stop on our European tour, and I hadn't practiced in a while.

"Delilah?"

"Oui?"

"Why French?" Gerard asked, "Why not Italian? At least we might be able to understand you."

"Je regrette, Gerard. I suck at Italian and we're going to France soon, so I wanna practice," I said, cutting up my blueberry waffles.

"Humor me, please." Gerard nodded and started to ask Frank if he needed new guitar strings, but the waitress interrupted.

"Is everything okay?"

"Yeah. Could I get some more strawberries, though?" Ray smiled.

"Sure," she replied.

"Thanks." I glanced around the iHop we'd found on our way to Pittsburgh. We had a day to kill before we got there and we decided to be cool, calm, and collected. Relaxed.

"Bob, butter, s'il vous plait?"

"Ici, madameoiselle Delilah," Bob replied as he handed me a packet of butter.

"Vous parlez Francais?" I asked hesitantly.

"Oui. Mon Francais est ca va," he admitted. 'Yes. My French is okay.'

"Mine aussie." 'Mine too.'

"Our drummer... speaks French. Oh my God! What else don't we know about you, Robert?" Mikey laughed.

"Oh, come on! You went to high school, what language did you take?" Bob ignored the use of his full name.

"Italian," Frank, Gerard, and Ray said matter-of-factly.

"You all took the same language?" Kierstyn asked.

"Yeah. Mikey, Gerard, and Frank are Italian, so that makes sense. I grew up in Italian Jersey and I already knew Spanish, French wasn't--and isn't--my thing, so why not Italian?" Ray said, "Gerard and I sat next to each other. We talked about music together in Italian once we got the hang of it."

"Yeah, but it took us all year to get that far! We were terrible at the beginning," Gerard said.

"Dude, you guys are so weird!" Ashley said.

"Why? You took Spanish in high school," I said.

"I didn't actually pay attention!"

"Whatever."

The waitress brought a small bowl filled with syrupy strawberries over to Ray.

"Thank you." She nodded and scurried off, carrying her coffee pot the whole time. Ashley's cell phone ring and she looked down to see who it was. A flash of fear crossed her eyes before she sighed.

"Excuse me," she said bitterly. She got up and headed for the bathroom.