Status: slow writer and chapters are not pre-written

Inheritance

Social Worker

“Here lies Sharon and Dave Hendricks, well loved parents. Serving our country bravely and giving their lives for us. Their dedication should not be lost on us” I read the engraving on the headstone one last time as a tear slid down my cheek. They’re my parents. Were my parents. It hurts to lose the one constant that I’ve always had in my life through all the moves that comes with being a military brat. They were both officers in the army. They died in Iraq five days ago, both in the same bombing. The only family I’ve ever known blown away in one fell blow.

The ceremony had already taken place and it feels better to have some closure but it’s been two hours since the service ended and I’m still standing here at the grave. I’m having trouble letting go and I have a feeling that after I leave this grave I’ll have to pick myself up and keep going. It’s not going to be that simple though, things never are.

My new social worker is standing over by the car allowing me this time but it’s easy to see that she’s getting impatient. She’s tapping her foot but when I look over she gives me an only slightly strained smile. She really is a nice person and wants to help me so I head over to the car. In leaving I was finally able to release some of the pain that I’d been holding inside of me.

I’m an orphan I thought as I climbed silently into the back of the car. I started out as an orphan and now I’m right back where I started, alone. The Hendricks had adopted me before but who’ll adopt me now. I mean I’m fifteen and no longer a cute little baby. Wait, it’s June 18th, three days to my 16th birthday. I had been looking forward to that day but now it does it matter. I looked down at my hands and concentrated on playing with a loose string in the seat trying not to think about anything else.

The Social Security worker began talking.
“I’m sorry for your loss Ankita but considering everything you’re a very lucky girl. A very prominent family has offered to adopt you.”
She didn't seem very sorry. Actually I had no idea what feelings she was having, her emotions seemed to be on lockdown.
“They would like to see you as soon as possible so we are putting you on a plane to their home in Hawaii in two hours. Pack everything you want to keep with you. I understand you’ve learned to travel light from frequent moves. Everything you don’t take will be put in storage. They will send their personal driver to pick you up at the airport.”
They must be filthy rich. I mean a home in HAWAII and a PRIVATE DRIVER. They have to be rolling in cash

“Have I heard of the family you’re talking about because they certainly do sound “prominent”?” I asked the Social Worker

“Actually, you might have. They’re the Soto family. Jacob Soto is the Owner of Intel”

“Wow” I breathed. I mean what can you say to that? I’m just realizing that my new father is going to be a multimillionaire who owns the biggest microchip company on earth.

I feel the car begin to slow down and we’re stopping in front of the house I was living in. Now I’m going to be living in Hawaii. Well it won't be the first time I've been uprooted but it will be the first time without my parents. Well there is a bright side to this. Any money troubles I might havee had are history and I'll be able to buy myself that phone I had seen. As I move to get out of the car the Social Worker found some of the emotion she had been hiding and reached over to touch my hand comfortingly.

A little boy runs up to a woman who resembles the social worker but a little older. “Mommy!” he screamed happily.

I pulled my hand away quickly and ran out of the car before she could say anything to me. I ran up to the door a little spooked. Okay, maybe more than a little spooked.
Was this my subconcious talking to me? It must be some form of depression? I couldn't have seen that woman's future? That's impossible.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is my first story so any constructive critism is welcome. I'm a very slow writer so you might have to wait a while between chapters. You can see what Ankita looks like in my characters and this is the tattoo on her lower back tha she's always had.