Status: slow writer and chapters are not pre-written

Inheritance

Underwater

My eyes widened and my breath caught. What I saw pierced through my lethargic stupor. The blue ballroom was underwater. The walls were made of glass and you could see a rainbow of fish swimming around. There were a thousand varieties and all were so beautiful and eye-catching. I watched as a school of silver trout evaded a majestic sword fish. The celestial angel fish swirled around a reef. I even saw an electric eel poke its head out from its rocky home. Light filtered in from the surface and was reflected and refracted in a dance around the hall. The whole effect left me speechless. I heard Sarah breath an amazed “wow” at my left shoulder. I took steps into the world and felt a tap on my shoulder.

“Madam, may I ask your name and direct you to your seat” said a waiter politely. I barely acknowledged him. I was still held captive by the amazing sight before me.

“I’m Sarah Farrell. This is Ankita Soto.” explained Sarah.

“Right this way ladies.” he said as he led us away. I continued to stare at the walls so Sarah grabbed my hand and dragged me along behind her. A hush fell over the crowd around us. The silence spread throughout the room into an astonished quiet. I watched their faces to see what they were staring at. It seemed to be me? No, not me, something behind me. I turned to the wall behind me that we had been walking by. A great white shark looked back at me. I looked at him curiously. I had never been one to be afraid of animals.

“Hello sister” said a voice resonating within my head. I became paralyzed with fear. Yes, I usually wasn’t afraid of animals but most animals didn’t talk to you.

“Sarah, did you say something?” I asked her timidly.

“No, nobody has.” She whispered back.

“Sister, I greeted you. Why don’t you acknowledge me?” said the unknown voice. I didn’t know what to do. I tried to feel what I had done with the guard but that forced me to recognize the debilitating weariness that had enveloped me afterwards. A wave of the exhaustion crashed over me and suddenly I was aware that that fatigue was still present. I think the shark must have sensed it because he said, “Sister, you are weakened. I will lend you my strength” The shark pressed its nose to the glass and I felt compelled to place my hand there. As soon as I touched the glass energy swept through me. I felt better than I had in days. My thoughts refocused and I examined everything that had happened to me today. I came to the conclusion that I was crazy. But if I’m crazy why did this entire feel so real, and not a figment of my imagination. Also why did other people react to it? It can’t be just made up in my head. Only one solution remained. Magic. I decided to test this theory, just in case there was another way to rationalize it. I nervously gathered my thoughts and tried to communicate with the shark, “ummm… I’m sorry brother, I have only recently discovered my hmmm… status?” I was so unsure of myself; I didn’t know what I was doing.

“You are forgiven, I can see that you are a novice.” He said. Here’s my chance I thought.

“Would you do me a favor? I’m going to tap the glass three times. On the first time could you back up, on the second could you wave to me, and on the third would you please turn and swim away.” I asked politely as possible.

“My pleasure” he responded. I hesitantly approached the glass. I tapped it once. He backed up. I tapped it once more. He turned on his side and waved his fin. Astonished I tapped the glass one more time. As the clear “Ting” resounded he turned and swam away. I felt a collective release of tension in the room.

“L-l-ladies, th-this way” Stuttered the flustered waiter. He led us to separate tables. Sarah sat at one of the guests tables while I was led to the elevated family table. I took my seat between James and Jack. James leaned down to talk to me.

“Ankita! What happened! That thing was staring right at you! I thought it was going to eat you!” he said in a hushed yell.

“Nothing happened, it was just a freak accident.” I snapped suddenly feeling very protective of my secret. I could NOT let anyone no know what was going on.

“Sorry” he whispered suddenly concentrating very hard on his catfish. I pushed my food around my plate for a second. I saw that is was a vegetarian meal. James must have told them about my being vegetarian. I smiled at my fruit, and then frowned. I didn’t know how to restart the conversation. This was a totally new predicament for me. I had never been at a loss for words. It had always just come naturally. I decided on the direct approach.

“Hey, James, you’re totally right. That thing was huge. Adrenaline was coursing through my veins. Right now I’m so on edge” I said excitedly.

“Yeah, I would bet. That must be a better high than bungee jumping.” he replied with an earnest grin. Conversation flowed for the rest of the evening. Jack would occasionally jump in with a comment and I found out he was exactly like I had thought he would be from looking at him in the lobby. My instincts hadn’t failed me. He was a bit OCD, he had to have his table setting just so and he often reached over to rearrange the salt or pepper every time somebody used it. Despite this I found that he was very passionate about his family and job. If I let him he could go on for ages about microchips or his son’s boxing matches. Most of dinner he spent talking with Mrs. Soto, who insisted I called her Mary. By the end of dinner I really did feel welcomed into the family. Guests left at their leisure, usually stopping by the table to say goodbye. When the ballroom was about half empty we left for home. I tried to stay awake but my borrowed energy was wearing thin. Soon my head nodded onto James’ shoulder and sleep wrapped me in its blissful arms.
♠ ♠ ♠
:) ily thanks so much for reading. I would love you even more if you commented. Tell me if I'm going to slow and it's getting boring, or if I'm going to fast and it feels rushed, I need to know what's going on.