Status: slow writer and chapters are not pre-written

Inheritance

James Soto

I’m temporarily blinded by the headlights. I squint into the light figuring it must be somebody passing by but instead they stop in front of my house and honk loudly. I guess the social worker has sent this person to pick me up. Good thing because I didn’t really want to see this lady after what happened before. I wipe the tears from my eyes and put on a brave face. No way I’m letting this stranger see me so weak.

A giant jumps out of the driver’s side with a dancers ease. It seemed incongruent that such a huge guy could move so gracefully. He walked over with a shy smile spreading across his face.

“Hi, I’m James, Janet the social worker told me to take you to the airport. Why don’t you let me get that” he says politely as I begin to haul my sparse belongings into the trunk.

I can immediately tell that James is the friendly giant type. He seems like a big teddy bear, but if I’m reading him right he’s also pretty protective but trusting despite. I estimate him to be around 17 years old.

I’ve always been good at reading people, something that comes in handy when moving to a new place. Other military brats develop the same talent but I can somehow go deeper into who a person is rather than just the personality that they’re trying to project for everyone else to see. Sometimes my friends and I would go to the mall and start talking to a random person. Then I would tell them what the person was like. I just seem to be uncannily talented at reading people.

I let James get my stuff while I wait in the passenger seat. He squeezes in and we start driving. I look over at James’ tense shoulders. He seemed to be trying hard not to stare at me and his nervousness came off of him in waves. Why did the social worker send him if he’s so nervous when meeting new people? I thought.

“Hi, I’m Ankita” I gently touched his arm and introduced myself in a soft calming voice. He visibly relaxed at my touch and the sound of my voice. I could talk to the most awkward person comfortably, another talent of mine.

“Well Ankita, did I say that right?” I nodded for him to continue “Well Ankita, I’m your new brother James Soto”

He looked over to see my reaction.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for reading :)
Imagine James as a really tall Taylor Lautner, but this isn't a fanfic. thanks.