Status: slow writer and chapters are not pre-written

Inheritance

Buttons

“Hey, not to be rude, but are you new here” she yelled up to me. I quickly shook of the vision and concentrated on talking to her. Maybe a good conversation will distract me from going crazy.
“Yeah, I am. I’m Ankita” I yelled down to her as she walked under the balcony.

“I’m Sarah” she said. This was getting really creepy. Maybe it was a fluke that the vision was right about James, but Sarah too? This is too much. Maybe I’m not going crazy, maybe I’m going psychic. “SARAH!!” someone yelled from next door. “Sorry, that’s Gloria my current step mother. She’ll be wanting to primp me for the party. Heck, she’ll primp me for any reason.” she said annoyed “I’ll talk to you later” she threw over her shoulder as she jogged down the beach to the next door mansion.

I turned back to my new room. What the heck was I thinking? I am not a psychic. I decided to go get ready for the welcoming party the Sotos were throwing. It might bring me back to earth to worry about my physical appearance rather than my mental state. I indulged in a long shower in the enormous bathroom. I could fit my whole room back home in the bathroom here, it’s incredible!

Afterwards I stood for ten minutes in my closet staring at my two dresses. I wasn’t exactly the most flamboyant girl ever and I had lived in a military family. I had virtually no dresses or skirts, and one of my only two dresses was for a witches costume, so obviously I couldn’t wear that one. And the other dress probably wasn’t up to the standards of this community either.

I walked out my door and examined the little black box. There was an array unlabeled buttons. I stared at the box in frustration. I pushed with my mind, hoping the right button would just pop out at me, stupid right, but suddenly one of the buttons changed color to a bright blue. My stare let up in astonishment and the button changed back to black. “This is ridiculous! None of this can be real!” I insisted to myself. I decided to prove it and use the button, just to make sure it was the wrong button, of course. I pressed the button and said “Mahina? Are you there?” I waited a second and didn’t hear anything. I let out a relieved sigh. This is good this means that it’s all in my imagination. I’m not really turning psychic. That’s impossible anyways. Why would I even think that? Suddenly the black box started talking. “Yes, Ankita, I’m here. Do you need anything?” It said in Mahina’s voice. Dang it, I thought I was in the clear. Well, I’m still not naïve enough to think I’m psychic, it’s probably just a coincidence. Most of those buttons called her probably. “Could you please come see me? I don’t have a dress for the party.” I said into the box. I didn’t know what to do now so I just changed into some sweats did my hair (basically just brushing out and leaving it down) and put on some sparse makeup.

Someone knocked on my door. “Come in” I sang

“Aloha Ankita, I believe I have the perfect dress. You look a bit larger than Mrs. Soto and I remembered this dress. It was tailored wrong and sagged on her. I estimate it will fit you perfectly” She said proudly as she presented me with a beautiful dress. It was a floorlength elegant evening gown in a forest green. It fell of one of the shoulders and I absolutely adored it the moment I laid eyes on it.

“I love it Mahina!” I gushed

“Wonderful” she said “We should be leaving soon for the party, get changed then run downstairs, ok dear”

“Of course, thank you so much” I said beaming at her. Soon I was changed into the dress and making my way downstairs. Or at least I was trying to. It seemed impossible for me to get anywhere and I’m sure I passed that plant already three times. I thought it was best to ask for directions so I wandered until I saw one of the little black boxes that were scattered everywhere. I tried to remember what I did before to make the right button change colours. I stared at the box intensely and as if by magic one of the buttons turned blue. Damn it, this is magic! I had no idea what to do about it though so I decided to just let it go for now but to try to refrain from staring intensely at buttons in front of anyone else. I’d figure this out later.

“Hey, I’m somewhere on the third floor lost. Could someone come find me?” I said into the intercom.

Soon enough James walked around the corner. He stopped suddenly when he saw me.

“Wow, you look beautiful” He breathed. I just smiled back at him.

“You look alright yourself” I smirked. He really did look very handsome in his suit. The girl that snagged him would be very lucky “Thanks for finding me. This floor is a maze. I currently have no idea where I am in the house.”

“Uhh, yeah. The car’s out front. Follow me,” he said turning and walking back in the direction he had come from.

We drove to the restaurant in the limo. Despite James’ assurances I still avoided touching anything besides the seat. I really didn’t want to be responsible for breaking anything on my first day here.

The car slowed in front of one of the most extravagant and impressive restaurants I’d ever seen.

“Hey, look. Dad’s out front. He’s probably waiting to meet you. He’s been so excited about this” said James.

The driver came around and opened my door. I hesitated before getting out. What if he doesn’t like me? What if the moment he sees me he’ll label me as a problem child and send me to an orphanage? Or worse, what if when I look him in the eye I get a vision? So many things can go wrong.

“Don’t worry Ankita,” said James.

“Hmmm?”

“Dad is going to love you, trust me”

“How did you know that was what I was worrying about?”

“Remember, I went through the exact same thing when I met him for the first time at eight years old”

“Thanks James” I gritted my teeth and stepped out of the car.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading :)
the last few chapters may be of questionable quality because I've recently had surgery on my leg and am doped up on pain pills. Please coment.