Fake Perfection

Chapter 7

When Sarah reached the sound control room, she found it empty. Girl approached the complicated hardware... She had seen it before. Hers older brother, Harold, was a sound producer.

Due to the fact that their mother was a music teacher, music had appeared to be the strongest passion for both of the children. Sarah not only plaid a keyboard and guitar, she had also learned how to sing, but that wasn't her call, so she gave up.

Meanwhile, her brother worked in a music industry, while discovering new bands. So she had used these kind of devices already before.

It didn't take her much of an effort to find those buttons which were responsible for her keyboard, and she smirked slightly.
Bill had binned here, how else she would explain the fact, that her instrument was disconnected.

Not the best plan... he should have known that she usually managed to check everything what concerned her performance before she stepped on the stage.

Sarah turned on her instrument and then she turned to leave, but something stopped her.

Slowly she turned around and glanced at the device. She was hesitating for a second, but then she approached the PC, which was responsible for most of actions here, and typed in couple commands, which had to make some small changes... it shouldn't affect the entire performance, but she knew that it will make some problems.

Then she left the room, but before that, she made sure that no one saw her.

***
The show had to start any second now.

Guys stood in the backstage and even Bill was worried, not even talking about the rest of the band. Then they received a sign and they all entered the stage.

The crowd was screaming and the lights were too bright, besides it was very hot to be on stage. Then Sarah realized, that this was really something big... bigger than all those performances before. And suddenly she felt sorry for that, what she had done in the control room, but Bill wanted to humiliate her even more, beside, they were on stage, and there was no way that she could correct it now.

Bill didn't even try to speak to the public, instead they took their places and the first song, which happened to be “Automatic”, hit the speakers. Bill glanced back at Sarah and he didn't seem to be satisfied for the fact that the keyboard was working, but that was just a short moment of disaffection, 'cause the next thing what happened confused him.

He started to sing, but the mike refused to work. He glanced at it, as the music kept playing.

“What the hell...”

At that moment, Sarah's commands which she had typed on the computer did their final task and switched on the mike, and everyone heard it.

Tom stopped playing, Georg also stopped, Gustav kept his rhythm, but it became quieter.

Bill puzzled at first, fans also fell in silence.

“I am sorry... it looks, that we are having small technical issues here...”

Bill spoke into the mike, even if it worked again. From behind of the curtains a guy waved for them to carry on. Bill smiled weakly.

“Lets just start it all over, and let's hope that this time it'll work.”

It did, and the show was great... but the end of it everyone had forgotten the small failure- everyone, except for Bill.

He stormed into the backstage, calling for the sound operator, but he declared him that the mistake had appeared on the system and that there was no way that he could have precluded it.

“Will you calm down for once?” Sarah called out, when Bill started to yell at him that he had to do his job, not just sit and stare into the screen of the computer.

Bill threw her a glare.

“You did that.” he suddenly spoke.

“I am sorry?” Sarah asked, sounding as possibly innocent as she could.

“You were there, and spoiled my microphone.” Bill hissed.

The sound manager left, because he didn't wish to witness it.

“And why would I do such a thing?” Sarah rolled her eyes.

“How the hell I should know that?!” Bill exclaimed.

“You have a damn god imagination, Bill, but it wasn't my fault.” Sarah lied, as she turned around to leave.

Bill grabbed her hand: “Don't you even dare to tell me those stories, I know how much you don't like me...”

Sarah turned around: “Let go of me, you are hurting my arm!”

“What's going on here?” Gustav had noticed the sudden bustle and came to see if everything was okay.

Other band mates joined him soon. Bill released Sarah's hand.

“Where is David?” he asked loudly.

“Bill, what's wrong?” Tom saw Bill's face expression, and he didn't like it.

“I want to see David! NOW!” Bill demanded.

“Will you calm down for God's sake?! What's wrong with you?” Georg also didn't seem to like Bill's sudden reaction.

“What is wrong with me?” Bill glared at him, “I want her out of my band! That is what's wrong with me!”

Sarah looked at him with wide eyes, she couldn't believe in that, what he was saying.

“Bill, calm down.” Tom tried to make him stop storming.

“I will not calm down, Tom, she spoiled my performance, and I will not stand that!”

“You know what?” Sarah suddenly spoke, “That's fine with me!”

“Sarah...” Gustav bespoke her, as he touched her hand, “Bill is a jackass, don't take him seriously.”

Sarah and Bill were still glaring each at each other.

“No,” Sarah tore her hand away form Gustav's, “I will not stand the fact that this guy, who doesn't even look like a guy, is treating me like a shit!” after she had said it, she turned around and left the backstage.

***
“Well?” Tom asked after David hanged up.

They all sat in the mini-bus. Georg, Gustav and Tom were watching David, who had finally reached Sarah's phone. Only Bill wasn’t too interested. He was looking out of the window, despite the fact that it was dark outside.

“Well, she's at hotel. She took a taxi, and she's angry...” David explained, he looked at Bill, “What was you thinking, when you told her all those things?”

Bill rolled his eyes, but he didn't say anything.

“He wasn't thinking.” Tom said, he sounded annoyed, “Bill never thinks about that how other people feel.”

Bill glared at his twin.

“Oh, and now it is my fault?” Bill exclaimed, “She spoiled the performance, and you are blaming me?”

“Bill, you are the only one who keeps saying that!” Gustav almost groaned.

“It is because I know that it was her! I saw that how she left to the control room!”

“Yeah, and she wanted to sabotage you. Stop flying above the ground, not always everything has to have some kind of dealing with you!” Georg said sternly.

“He's right. And now, once we go back to the hotel, you will go and talk to her. You will change her mind, and then we'll forget this small incident.” David said calmly.

“I will not do that!” Bill exclaimed.

“Yes, you will! Otherwise you will be the one who will try to explain to the press the reason of that, why she left the band after the first show!” David was almost yelling at Bill.

Heavy sigh broke from Bill's chest.

“FINE!” he suddenly called out, “What else do you want from me? You should tell it now, 'cause tomorrow I won't be in a mood to fill your stupid wishes.”

Everyone, who sat in the car, were glaring at Bill now, but he sulked, crossing his arms onto his chest. For the rest of the way no one tried to speak. The tension was almost touchable.

Everyone, even Tom, who was usually on his brother's side, seemed to be disappointed for his reaction.

***

Wen they had finally reached the hotel, Bill went to the elevator, he stepped into it and devoted one last angry look to those who left behind him, then he hit the necessary button and the door closed.

“What's wrong with him?” David asked, looking at Tom, “He has never binned from calm people, but lately he is just way too uptight.”

Tom sighed, he shook his head: “I don't know. Sometimes I have a feeling that he is trying to turn into an absolute jerk. Well, he's doing good so far.”

“Well, the last year has taken a lot of nerve from all of us.” Gustav added.

Georg glanced at him: “Well, but none of us has turned out into an absolute jerk?”

The door opened and Bill exited the lift. He was suffering form the headache at the moment. It was a usual apparition lately, but Bill translated it as an exhaustion.

And now he had to meet that girl...

Bill walked along the hall, till he reached the door. He took a deep breath and then knocked onto the door.

There was a moment of silence, when she finally came to open it, but once Sarah saw him, she tried to shut the door. Bill put his palm on it.

“Wait, we need to talk.”

“Oh, I know that how you understand this sentence, and I can assure you, that I am not interested.” Sarah spatted back.

Bill rolled his eyes: “Will you just listen to that, what I have to say, or will you just keep screaming like an idiot?”

Sarah crossed her arms on her chest: “Now and why should I be listening to you? You told me yourself that I am stupid, dumb and so on. So, after all these compliments, I don't see any reasonable explanation to that, why should I be listening to you.”

Bill was annoyed, tired and this was the last place where he wanted to be now.

“Okay... I am trying very hard to understand you!” Bill said, “So now, will you let me in, 'cause I don't want to stand here like while everyone can see me.”

She raised her hands in a surrender.

“Fine with me!” Sarah said, as she stepped aside to let him in.

“Good.” Bill said quietly as he entered the room and closed the door behind him.

Sarah took a protection mode, she was ready for another argument. Bill sighed at that.

“I won't scream... well, I'll try.”

“What do you want?” she asked, her voice also expressed exhaustion.

“I want for you to change your mind, Sarah.” he said while trying to sound humble, it wasn't his best quality, though.

Sarah rolled her eyes: “Why? So you could scream at me every time, when you feel like screaming? I don't need that! I can gain a lot in my life, I don't need you to make it possible.”

“I know, and I really do think that you are a great keyboarder, but you really shouldn't do that, what you did today.”

“You were the one, who had started it. You disconnected my keyboard. I am not an idiot, Bill, I checked it before the show.” Sarah said, she tried to keep her voice calm.

“Okay, so maybe you are smarter, than I thought, but it did not give you any reason to spoil the show.”

“And here we go again!” she said while gesturing with her hands helplessly.

“Alright!” Bill exclaimed, “Okay, I am sorry! Is that, what you wanted to hear?”

“Well, Bill, it's a bit too late now.” she said, her voice sounded sarcastically, “So you can go back to your room,” she said showing to the door, “Get some sleep, and I hope that you will wake up in a good mood, 'cause I won't be here to spoil it.”

Bill sighed: “Gosh, you're impossible...” he said, while looking at her with a slight compassion, “I told you, that you don't have to leave, and I meant it.”

He crossed the room and sat into the chair. Bill lied back, rubbing his forehead a bit. His headache was killing him, and screaming didn't make him feel better.

“Now listen...” Bill said quietly as he leaned on his elbows, “I am not an angel, I know. I am actually a real jerk sometimes, and I do realize this fact.”

Sarah was looking at him, Bill's sudden confession confused her. He raised his look, another sigh escaped his lips, as he kept speaking.

“My life is not a paradise, I would never wish that for anyone. And the new album has made it even worse. I don't even know how it is to stop and think it over, so sometimes I just spit it all out, and you happened to be the person who had to witness it.”

“I am the only one person who is witnessing it form the very first day when I came here.” Sarah corrected him.

Bill sighed again: “Okay... Fine, I will try to restrain my temper.” he said as he straightened himself in the chair, “I can't promise you that it will stop, 'cause it is hard for me to control myself sometimes, but I'll try to do my best while suppressing my emotions.”

“How can I believe in you?” she asked, her face expression full with distrust.

“Well, you can't.” Bill said as he stood up, “And I am not asking that from you. But it would be nice if you gave to the band a second chance. Everyone is really relying on you. If not for me, then do that for them.”

Sarah eyed him for a moment. He could be rational when he tried to.

“Will you?” Bill asked, his voice was full of hope.

“Alright...” Sarah said thoughtfully, “But if you keep acting this way...”

Bill raised his voice again: “Hey! I said that I'll try!” then he averted her, “Sorry... I am really tired.”

“Like we all...” Sarah said quietly.

“So you are staying?” Bill turned to her again.

She nodded: “Alright... for the band.”

He gave her a sincere, but at the same time an exhausted smile.

“I am glad... Good night then?”

“Good night, Bill.” she said.

Then he left.

Sarah looked after him. She didn't understand this guy. He was a jerk, but, if he wanted that, he could be a human...

To tell the truth, this was that side of him, which interested her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Aw... look, he's a human being!