What It Takes To Be A Winchester

Click.

Today was the anniversary of John Winchesters death, and neither Sam nor his brother, Dean, was taking it well. Although the man was incredibly inherent in everything he said and did, he only wanted what was best for his sons; wanted what would keep them astute and knowledgeable of the “real world”. All throughout his life he had taught Sam and Dean how to fight every single thing hidden in the dark that were far from innocuous. The only people who could keep the world safe were the well-taught hunters who protected the innocent.

Dean Winchester happened to be one of them. Like other hunters, Dean was used to not receiving extol all the time in their line of work. It took innate skills and years of training, and you would always have those presumptuous hunters. The job had become a passion for most, and it sometimes grew into an obsession. Hunting was John’s life, and Dean had no other choice but to be a part of it as well.

The Winchester boys couldn’t say that their life was entirely insipid. They always had plenty of things to do: work jobs all over the country, pose as law enforcement officials, preclude evidence, run credit card scams, and lie to get information. Overall, it was not the “apple pie” life Sam had been hoping for when he left home and went off to a precocious law school, leaving his past behind.

It all started with a single demon. An extremely powerful one with the intention of augmenting an entire army of children with special powers, powers that the demon himself gave to them. He is known as Azazel, or the yellow-eyed demon that murdered Mary Winchester in cold blood. On the night that she died, the demon crept into baby Sam’s room with the intention of transferring some of his own power to Sam. Mary happened to walk into the nursery at the wrong time.

Ten years prior to the incident, Mary had made a deal with the demon, a deal that would save John and end her career as a hunter, but it came at a terrible price. She had to make an expeditious decision. Azazel said that she was his favorite because, in the future, he would make Sam one of his children. Sam would find out later that he had psychic abilities, which connected him to the other children. He promised not to harm anyone. That is, if they didn’t interrupt. She was found pinned to the ceiling and that’s when the fire started.

From that day on, John was absolutely determined to find out what did this to his family and kill it. He didn’t want to remain ascetic after what happened, so he got himself into the business. Dean and Sam didn’t grow up living out a pragmatic life; John moved them around from place to place, taught them how fight, and how to shoot a gun. It was enough to make Dean realize that his only job was to protect his little brother.

That was why when Sam went off to college to be “normal”, Dean needed his help; John had gone on a hunt and didn’t return for weeks. Neither Dean nor anyone else could reach him to find out where he was headed, and that made the Winchester brothers frustrated. The only thing John had left behind was his age-old book in which he kept all things supernatural. It was then that they realized it was their destiny to follow in John’s footsteps.

Dean was the type that would act pretentiously when it came to a case that could possibly lead them to the yellow-eyed demon. The brothers found out shortly before John died, that there was only one, non-derivative weapon that could kill the demon. It was a gun called the Colt, and a lot of others were after it too, including one of Azazels “real” children. When the whole family got into a fatal car crash, Dean was comatose and was going to die. Therefore, John ended up trading his own life to save Deans.

Today was the anniversary of John Winchesters death, and there was still a war between good and evil brewing, there were still such things as monsters, and Sam and Dean were still brothers. Their path had been filled with many twists and turns and their eyes had seen many horrible things that cannot be erased, but this life wasn’t an option for the Winchester brothers. There was really no way of telling what would happen in the next chapter of their lives…