Pure Morning

for what it's worth

6

San Diego

7th of September


"Yep, I'm practically at my breaking point," Brian muttered to himself and took one last sip of the wine cooler.

He harshly set it aside and reached towards the small refrigerator next to him, grabbing a beer this time. He firmly held the can against his lower lip and took consecutive long sips, the ice cold liquid seeping out from the corners of his mouth. Once finished, he leaned against the sofa and looked around the room with wide eyes. He felt so dazed, he wasn't even sure where they currently were. He didn't know and couldn't be bothered to care. What he did know, was that the North American tour would finally come to an end. They were already on their last date and he was feeling extremely eager to return home to fix things with Cristi. For all he knew, she could have already gone somewhere far away with Alex and he would never get to see his son again.

"Damn it, this day needs to end already so I can get the Hell out of here," he sighed, opening another beer.

"Hey, we're about to go eat, come," Stefan said as soon as he walked in the room, followed by an eager Steve.

"Not hungry," Brian gargled, his eyes tightly shut.

"You should really eat something; you look thinner each day," he said as he nodded.

"I'm not in the mood, can't you all understand?! We've gone over this so many times," Brian retorted.

"Okay, we'll leave you alone for now. But you really should stop drinking; wouldn't want to collapse on stage again."

"Yeah, and this time because of alcohol," Steve added and stopped, staring at Brian as if worried.

"Are you coming, Steve?" Stefan called out.

"Yeah, just give me a minute," Steve replied and knelt down next to Brian.

"What do you want, Forrest?" he muttered, looking at Steve with dazed eyes.

"I'm really worried about you. Every day lately, it's been the same thing; you constantly chain-smoke and drink like crazy before shows. You don't even really talk to us much anymore," he said and looked down.

"I'm going through a tough time right now, Steve; you know that."

"You're just drinking way too much. It's concerning us all."

"But I still do a Hell of a job at our shows, don't I? So don't worry. This is our last date here, anyway. Once we get back home, I'll fix things with Cristi and everything will be back to normal," he said and lit a cigarette.

"The fact you play well regardless of your alcohol consumption isn't our biggest concern. It's your health, damn it!" he shot out and stood up.

"Look, go with Stef and the rest; I'll be out soon. Just stop worrying. You should be happy since we're in California right now. Have you missed it?"

"Yes, I have missed it, actually. I'm going now. Please stop chain-smoking and come soon, alright? We go on at around 1:45. So we need to hurry," he said and quickly walked out the door.

Brian let out a deep sight of exaggerated annoyance and instantly went back to half-heartedly chugging alcohol down. A weird sensation suddenly came over the pit of his stomach. Kind of as if someone had just kicked him really hard. He leaned over in agony and dropped the bottle of beer, its contents soaking the charcoal gray carpet instantly. He sat leaning forward, hands hovered over his thin abdomen while rocking back and forth. He decided against joining the others to eat. Instead, he wanted to be alone in the dressing room and have no one bother him. He lay back on the sofa in a recumbent position and tightly shut his large eyes, in an attempt to relax and forget about his problems and the world surrounding him. He soon heard shy knocks against the door, causing him to slightly open his eyes.

"Door's open," he muttered and closed his eyes once more.

The door slightly creaked as it opened; slowly.

"Why are you opening the door so damn slowly?" he irritably questioned and sat up in distaste.

His eyes instantly widened as he looked.

"And who might you be?"

The sun was blazing. Yes, piercing giant holes right through everyone. Jenna looked around and impatiently tapped her foot as she rose a dizzy hand, taking a long sip of beer.

"Will you stop drinking? That's all you've pretty much been doing since we got here. Quit," Josie said and snatched the can from her hand.

"How'd you get a wrist band anyway? You're only seventeen. Just turned seventeen, I should say."

"It's called having a fake ID. Besides, I look older than my age, so it always works," she smugly said and cockily rose one eyebrow.

"Always works? Gosh, you're such a mess. Now really, stay here with me and don't think about separating from my side. You already did it a couple of times when you went to get wasted," she muttered and took firm hold of Jenna's wrist.

Struggling, Jenna looked to the side of the line in front of them. It seemed never-ending. She couldn't stay standing here like an idiot., waiting while all those people got in before her. She had to concentrate on finding a way of getting through the tumult of the crowd and make her way in without her sister noticing her leaving.

"What time is it? she slurred and finally snatched her wrist from Josie's grip.

"Why do you want to know?" she testily said.

"Just tell me. It's so fuckin' bright out here. I just want to know."

Rummaging like crazy through her bag, she finally retrieved her phone.

"It's 11:17; early," she said and looked up with squinted eyes.

"Oh yeah, it's early," Jenna thoughtfully said.

She then began intently looking at Josie, waiting for her to take notice.

"What are you looking at?" she said, irate.

"Aren't you like, thirty fuckin' years old?" she curiously asked, knowing she was way off.

"Actually, you're just a tiny bit off," Josie sarcastically responded.

"Well then how old are you? Tell me!"

"I can't believe you don't know your own sister's age," she scoffed and irritably blew some stray hair from her face.

"Can you just tell me? I won't tell a soul," she mockingly said and twirled around on one foot.

"I'm 23."

"Oh, didn't know."

"You don't even know what planet you're living on. Not surprised," Josie said and continued looking around.

"Hey, I'm starting to get a little thirsty," Jenna suddenly said as an idea came to her mind.

"No wonder, you must be damn near dehydrated from all your drinking."

"Yeah, I guess. I'm feeling super thirsty," she insisted.

"Well, what do you want me to do about that?"

"I don't know, go get me something to drink, maybe? I bet you're just as thirsty as me. Who knows, maybe more?"

"So what are you suggesting, that I get out of the line, which is increasing in length each second and lose my spot just to get the little princess a drink? I think not," she scoffed and narrowed her glare at Jenna.

"You wouldn't lose your spot. That's what I'm here for. I'll save your spot while you go get us something to drink."

Josie stood with her arms folded across her chest, her eyes expressing doubt more than anything.

"What, you don't think I'll stay here and wait for you?"

"No, Jenna. I don't actually," Josie retorted.

"Where the Hell would I go? There's nowhere else to go but to remain in this stupid line. I'm seriously really thirsty. I'll be here when you get back," she pleaded.

Josie stood, looking at her and reluctantly took another look at her cell phone.

"Fine, I'll go. But you stay right where you are and don't even think about going anywhere," she warned and hesitantly stepped out of line.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever. Just hurry up and get those drinks."

"You'll drink whatever I bring you, got it? No bitching if I get you a drink you don't like, okay?"

"I won't. Go already! By the time you get there, the line will be so much closer to the entrance," she said and motioned for her sister to hurry.

"Well in that case, expect a text from me. Answer immediately, telling me where in the line you are. Stay there," she said and rapidly took off toward the concession stand, which happened to be located towards the very end of the line.

How convenient.

Jenna stared at Josie until she was sure she had made it a considerable distance. She then rose up on the tips of her feet, staring straight ahead at the numerous heads in front of her. Way too many people for her liking. She had to concentrate on finding a way to get to the front of all those people. But how was she going to go about doing that? She wasn't going to conform and stay here like an idiot, that she was sure of.

"Think fast," Jenna said as she casually walked by the very first girl in line and snatched a tee shirt from her hand. She then snatched a pair of sunglasses from the same girl and put them on within a fraction of a second.

"Hey, my stuff! Someone took my stuff!" the spaghetti thin girl called out, her multi-highlighted hair swaying as she jerked her head from side to side.

Security instantly went over to assist the helpless moron, and Jenna quickly made her way past the frenzy and inside the venue. Once assured no one had seen her, she slipped the shades off and unfolded the shirt, looking to see if she could derive any advantage from it.

"Placebo. Battle For the Sun," she read.

She then flipped the shirt over and read, "We can build a new tomorrow, today."

"I'm so keeping this," she said as she outlined the scratchy blue letters on the shirt.

She looked around the venue; hardly anyone was around, considering doors hadn't opened yet. Aside from crew members setting up and band members, no one else was around. No one she could distinctly point out, that is.

"Band members," she suddenly reiterated.

She then remembered security must have been right behind her, searching for the person who stole that girl's merch. Discreetly turning to take a glance behind, Jenna saw scattered members of security scanning the mile-long line, asking each person questions and tentatively frisking them. She realized she couldn't remain there any longer. Security was bound to find her and kick her out of the venue for taking the merch. She could have desisted and gotten back in line once security moved towards the back. That way, she could text Josie and they would be in the very front of the line. But no, then all her efforts of discreetly getting inside the venue and rid of her sister would go to waste. No, she had to take advantage of this situation. After all, she had come this far, unnoticed. So there had to be something in this she could derive pleasure out of. She instinctively put the shades back on and quickly walked towards the stage, her head low so as to avoid stares from oncoming crew members.

"Hey, what are you doing? Keep those damn things on the ground. Yeah, right there," she said before the young man could roll the steps further down.

"We're setting up, in case you haven't noticed. These aren't supposed to be here," he muttered and irritably looked up at her.

"Tsk, you can keep them on that spot a little longer. It won't kill you," she mocked and continued to make her way across the stage.

She felt tiny as she walked across the center, the commotion of movement around her.

"What are you here for, anyway?" he called out from behind.

She didn't bother responding. Instead, she held the shirt up for him to see.

"Enough said," she arrogantly said and walked towards the rear until she came across more security.

Just when she thought she had gotten rid of all obstacles.

"Excuse me, but where do you think you're going?" the husky man said and put a hand in front of her, blocking further entrance.

"Uh, I'm just wondering where Placebo's dressing room is. Is it possible that you can tell me?" she said, now feeling slightly nervous.

"I'm afraid I can't tell you that. Why do you want to know?" he skeptically said.

"Well, you see... I have a new piece of merch I'd like to show them. I'm actually their merch girl. So it's important I know their whereabouts," she lied, now feeling even tinier in comparison to the man.

"Would you mind removing your sunglasses, please?"

"Sure," she muttered.

"So you say you're in charge of Placebo's merch. Is that right?"

"Yes, can you please tell me? I'm on a tight schedule," she nervously said, now feeling her efforts had now gone to waste.

This guy had figured her out. The man stood, taking a concentrated look at her for a few moments.

"Alright, it's the fourth room to the left of the hallway, backstage. Hurry," he said and stepped aside, somewhat reluctant.

"Thanks," she lowly muttered and practically zoomed by him.

She excitedly paced her way down the left side of the hall, a huge grin on her face.

"One."

"Two."

"Three."

"And.... four."

She stood, staring at the door with wide eyes.

"Placebo; dressing room."

Her hand impulsively touched the door knob.

"No, I should at least knock first," she whispered, her knees wobbly.

She gave the door a few weak knocks and put her hand on the door knob again.

"Door's open," she heard a very familiar voice call out.

Her heart sank. She slowly opened the door.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's taken long for me to post.
I just haven't really felt up to it, for obvious reasons.
Hope this chapter makes up for two weeks of not posting anything.
This chapter pretty much leads to the actual plot.

For those of you who are sad over Jimmy Sullivan's death, as am I, you may want to go listen to Twenty Years by Placebo.

For some reason, it just made me feel better. Well then again, it always does.
Beautiful song, kiddies.
Do it.

xxx