Status: finito!

If It Keeps You Around Then I'm Down

A Good Fight.

JACK:

I woke up with someone slapping me and I was about to slap them back because things were just getting heated with a scantily dressed Jessica Alba, but then I laid my eyes on a shifting Ava looking to Alex for strength, I knew what this was about because what else was going on between me and Ava. It's not like she was going to ask me to join a book club with her or something. So I had decided on the method of asking her out, a lot, until she said yes. She had already however said no in many creative ways so I jumped on it,

"If you'll be my girlfriend, I'll forgive you for interrupting me and my lovely evening with Jessica Alba," I smirked confidently, inside I was actually shaking waiting for a no to come out of her lips. Right about now she should insert a witty comment and...

"Fine," Wait what?! I missed everything she said after that doing a double take. She said yes? She said yes! My heart raced a victory lap around my chest cavity and I had to use every muscle in my body to keep from jumping on top of her and having a full on make out session right in the van, on top of Alex. Which I'm sure he would've enjoyed. I settled for a big kiss right on the lips, smiling brightly. Alex high-fived me and Ava and I held hands.

Her grip tightened on my hand, warranting my attention, I studied her face and saw nothing but a torn expression. A hesitation in her eyes that struck fear in my heart. I saw a man with a sign that said 'smile if you masturbate' at the road side as we stopped to get gas and it distracted me a little.

We stopped and Ava and I walked into the dinky old gas station a little worried about the condition of the bathrooms judging by the store itself. The chips looked old and were thrown in a basket next to rotating wieners that had probably been there for a while, spreading an artificial meat scent through the store. I looked at the formerly white floor, now brown with the dirt of passing through travelers.

We parted ways and hands, splitting up into the different bathrooms. I had no problem going in a nasty place. I just stood up, washed my hands and walked out. I saw Ava rush out shaking her head and muttering "I can't do it" under her breath, hyperactively. I smiled and touched her chin, raising her face and frantic eyes to meet mine.

"You should just use the men's room," I suggest nodding over to the door behind me, which was probably worse (from what I hear). She cracked a small smile and shook her head, her eyes remained unchanged.

"Not that, I can't do this, until I know why," She said boring into my eyes as if they held the answer. I looked away guiltily and before she took her hand and forcefully brought me to look her in the eyes again. She had never been this, well direct before, I figured this was the reason for her distance and harshness.

"I'm not sure here is the place for this," I said looking up at a gruff old man at the counter. He must have been at least six foot four with a husky build and a big beard. He had wrinkles on his face and an underbite from chewing tobacco habit. His uniform t-shrit was unbuttoned revealing a dirty white undershirt, which did no favors for his pot belly.

"Jack," She said pulling me by my hand, a touch that had I once longed for was going to pull my arm out of my socket. I was leaning over, due to our height difference, the cashier gave me a low chuckle as if I was a whipped husband. She crossed her arms around the corner, out of eye line from the van and the guys. "You owe me at least a reason or some pretty damn good explanation."

Like I didn't know that, I owed her a lifetime of happiness and being a much better man than I ever could be. I didn't see how hurt she was and then began to wonder how much else I hadn't seen. Would I ever be able to read her, just by looking in her eyes the way Alex does? Why could he do that and I couldn't I was the one who lov- liked her. I liked her a lot.

"Jack," she said softly, her voice returning to the gentle, melodic one that I knew. I looked into her deep brown eyes and touched her soft cheek, holding it, she seemed to move into it like a puppy that had been abandoned. Fear and anticipation filled my gut.

"Your dad just said something that made me think of myself and us," I said as vaguely as possible. I hoped that somehow this would suffice as an explanation, but knew it wouldn't.

"What did he say?!" She said anger reinstalling in her voice, like she had expected this. I calmed her down before she could get in over her head in emotions. She looked at my eyes, waiting. I wondered how much she could wait.

"He asked me if I was strong enough for you and I wasn't, I'm still not, but I lo-like you a lot," I said rushed out in a single breath. Her eyes grew wide and then confused, she stepped back from me and cocked her heads.

"Strong enough for what? Not to cheat on me? Not to break my little heart?" I realized she was mocking me when she said that and I sighed. She had been handling this so well. "Jack, you never even gave us a chance and you crushed me. I was bawling my fucking eyes out in an airplane. I don't know if you know this, but airplanes are a bad place for everyone to think you're fucked in the head!" Her voice elevated to a yell and I looked around the corner knowing that all the band and the family in a suburban next to us could hear what we were saying.

"I know, but-" I began to counter when she decided she wasn't done yet, how much did she have to say? I looked in her eyes and she looked to the ground avoiding my stare, I realized it was because she was crying a little. She didn't want me to see her like that.

"No you don't know, what I can't take care of myself Jack?!" She yelled coming closer, but only to brush past me and start walking back to the bus. I grabbed her to make her stay, who was she to dictate when this conversation was over.

"Damn straight I wanted to protect you! I didn't want to break your heart because I care about you too fucking much to do something shitty like that!" I yelled back finally matching her desperation. She yanked away from my grip, I couldn't tell if she was just walking away from this fight or from the relationship. "So what it's your turn to dump me?!" I called out after her, the mother of the suburban family rushed her children in the to the car.

"No, it's called a fight, Jack, its something that couples do!" She screamed back flicking me off. I dropped my astounded look off my face and straightened up. I could help but smile as I chased after her. She climbed into the van and leaned against the window with a pissed look across her face. "What are you happy we got in a fight?!" She asked me, now bringing her voice to an inside level. I laughed shaking my head. I saw a smile crack in the corner of her lips.

"Nope, that fucking sucked," I said smirking coming closer to her, plopping down on the seat next to her. She leaned back, but stopped at the window, I kept coming in.

"So what are you so happy about?" She asked, trying to keep her attitude, but I knew she sucked at being mad at people. She was forgiving to a fault

"You called us a couple," I said smiling even brighter, she started laughing, but I kissed her, cutting her off. She giggled, pressing back harder and wrapped her arms around my neck and I placed my hands around her waist.

"Break it up lovebirds," Rian said slapping my shoulder, making me flick him off as my tongue traced her bottom lip. She parted them and let me explore her mouth, Rian groaned and Zack made a similar comment. I pushed her too hard making her hit her head on the window glass.

"Ow!" She whispered pulling apart and giggling to herself. Alex was driving his stint and Matt was sitting in the passenger seat. "Why do you keep hurting me?" She asked referring to our first night together. I laughed, but couldn't help but think of her eyes when she left me at the airport.

"You know you like it," I smirked sitting straightening forward, I wrapped my arm around Ava and let her crash into my chest. Her tired eyes finally closed and I stroked her hair. Her breathing slowed to a relaxed even pace and I knew she was asleep. She was also mumbling things, she was a sleep talker. I first saw it when Alex had his pregnancy scare, she was was talking about hamburgers like she was reciting a poem. It was the best sleep talking I'd ever heard.

"So I'm guessing you two worked it out," Zack said leaning forward, pulling out his left ear bud leaving his right one in and music blasting. He patted me on the back as I nodded.

"For now," I smiled and now was all I could ask for. I hoped for more, but I figure any time I could have with Ava would suffice.