Undream the Echoes

Forever and always

Liam
08.19.2000

I am getting married tomorrow.

It’s so strange to think about it. Me. Me of all fucking people. Getting married. Married! I don’t know if I should be ecstatic or scared shitless.

I had wanted to postpone the wedding a bit, since Elle had her miscarriage only five months ago, but she was absolutely determined to get married in the summer. Neither of us are very religious so we agreed to not get married in a church; having the wedding outside seemed like the only sensible alternative. And we obviously couldn’t have a wedding outside in the middle of winter, so I let Elle win this fight. Summer it is, then.

We’re going through the dress rehearsal today so everything goes smoothly tomorrow. Landon’s practicing his speech right now and my mom is sitting in her seat and looking teary-eyed. Even though it wasn’t necessary, Cheri – who’s the maid of honor and the only bridesmaid – is wearing her dress. It’s a silvery-periwinkle dress because I guess the colors of this wedding are blue and gold…I don’t know, I’m not the one who planned the wedding. That was all Elle, believe it or not. For someone so tough, she has a side of her that likes to indulge in fairytales. So won’t admit it but I can tell that getting married is something she’s been looking forward to for a very long time.

Anyway, Cheri’s dress is quite pretty, and if I didn’t know Cheri to be so immoral then I might have actually been able to say she looks angelic in it. According to her, “It’s way too much fucking fun to dress up, you know? It makes me feel like a kid again.” I wish I could say the same, but seeing myself in my suit and knowing that tomorrow I’ll be Elle’s husband makes me feel…I don’t know. I don’t feel old, just…grown up, I suppose, and mature and responsible. Because this is it. This is my life now.

The audience we have isn’t too large; I’ve only invited my mother, Landon and his family, and a handful of my closest friends; Elle obviously invited Cheri, as well as her parents, who have flown up from Georgia. It’s my first time meeting them, since I guess Elle and her mother don’t get along very much and since we live so far away anyway. At first it seems like her mom isn’t too pleased that Elle is getting married (“She’s never approved of anything I’ve ever done,” Elle says angrily with a roll of her eyes), but nevertheless I greet Mrs. Crestfield with a charming smile and act as polite as I can. She returns my hello with a curt nod and just stares at me with an arched eyebrow, as if I’m a disgusting insect and not worthy of her presence.

I had known for a while that Elle didn’t talk to her family all that much, but I had never been intrusive enough to ask why, since every time the topic was brought up she shifted uncomfortably and changed the subject. But now it’s obvious to me why she hardly ever visits them. “She’s just pissed that I’m all grown up now and making my own decisions without her authority,” Elle seethes as Landon is finishing up his speech. “Look at her glaring at me like she hates my guts. She’s so frustrating!” She calls her mom a few other names that I wouldn’t ever dream of calling my own mother.

Elle’s father, on the other hand, just looks tired. His wife’s constant complaining and bitterness must have worn him down over the years. I see him give Elle an approving look – letting her know how proud he is of her – but as soon as Mrs. Crestfield catches him doing that, the look is gone. It’s obvious who is the ‘man’ of that relationship.

I’m thankful that my own mother isn’t like this. She didn’t like Elle at first because she knows exactly how Landon and Shelby’s relationship turned out (even though Landon has never told her any of his marital problems; but Mom is Mom and she can just figure it out herself). She was afraid that I would end up the same way. But it didn’t take long for Mom to realize the truth about Elle and to see how fucking amazing that girl is.

After the dress rehearsal is finished, we all go out to dinner as one big family. It’s pretty nice, and Mom and Mr. and Mrs. Crestfield are getting along surprisingly well (probably because Mom complimented Mrs. Crestfield’s earring and they immediately hit it off). But I’m starting to get annoyed because Landon is giving me looks as if he’s proud of me too, acting as though he’s the older brother. When no one’s looking, I drag him away from the table and give him a noogie of a lifetime so that he will always remember who’s boss.

“Aw, stop hurting your baby bwover!” Landon says in a baby voice as he struggled to break away from my grip. “Come one man, I’m just happy for you. It’s weird seeing you all grown up!”

“I can kick your ass any day, remember that,” I warn. He tries to say something else, but he runs away quickly as soon as I threaten to give him a wedgie.

He returns to the table but I remain standing in the other room for a little bit, just staring at my family-to-be. It’s a bigger crowd than I initially thought, which is actually comforting. I’m used to being independent and alone and I know that as a married man I won’t have that anymore, but I’m okay with it. I have Mom, Landon, Shelby, Evie and Jane, Cheri, and Mr. and Mrs. Crestfield. And, in the middle of them all, is my Elle.

Her face is glowing and I don’t think I’ve ever seen her so exuberant. Suddenly she notices me staring at them with a goofy smile on my face and she laughs, and then beckons me with her finger for me to join them again. Without hesitation I oblige and return next to her, a place where I will remain forever and always.
Image
Liam
08.30.2000

Today is the day.

Luck happens to be on our side today, because the sky is a clear cornflower blue without an inkling of a threat of rain. It is neither too hot nor too cold, though there is a breeze with a touch of autumn in it that feels a bit chilly if you’re in the shade. But other than that it’s perfect. The gazebo where we’ll be saying our vows is perfectly white and is overflowing with decorations of white tulips and baby’s breath.

Everyone is chattering away excitedly. I can hear Mrs. Crestfield’s raspy voice as she speaks to her husband, and I think I hear something like, “Well, at least she found a cute one.” I think that’s as close to a compliment I’ll ever get from Elle’s parents, so I accept it gratefully and take it as a sign that it will all work out.

The music begins to play, cueing Elle to walk down the aisle. Oh my god, oh my fucking god. The thoughts going through my head are racing so fast that I can’t really understand them, though I can make out something like shit fuck shit fuck holy mother of god I can’t believe I’m doing this shit. I’m really fucking nervous, to say the least.

I will admit – and I hate myself for this – that for a moment I begin to have second thoughts. What if Elle isn’t the one? How am I supposed to know who I want to spend the rest of my life with, anyway? What if I chose the wrong girl? What if there’s another girl right around the corner, waiting for me…what if, what if, what if…

But then I turn around and I see my wife-to-be walking down the aisle, adorned in her glittering white dress. The veil masks her face but I can see a huge grin on those pretty lips of hers. And in that moment, all of those idiotic second thoughts disappear. In that moment, I know that Elle is the right one. There are things in life that are worth living for, and she is one of them. There are things in life that are worth dying for, and she is one of them.

Oh, she is absolutely one of them.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay! A happy chapter!

This story is reaching its end. I don't know how many chapters are left, but there aren't many. So be prepared.

It's weird, I don't think I've ever written a story this short before! I think it's because it's taken so long for me to update, so it seems like it's lasted longer than it actually has.