Status: finished.

Ophelia

I'm The Problem

"What happened? It's nothing with Nessie, is it?" Jacob was now on red alert. He didn't know what he would do if his soul mate was taken from him. He studied Jasper's pale face and realized that for once, he was actually at a loss of what to do.

"No...it's not Renesmee. It's Ophelia," he answered and pointed to the car they had rented from the airport.

"Ophelia?"

"She's...Jacob, it's a long story, but we just really need your help. Could we come in?" Jacob was ready to refuse since it didn't directly involve him, but he saw the look in Jasper's eyes and immediately knew where he was coming from.

"Come in then," he pushed the door open wider and Jasper beckoned Ophelia to come in. She opened the car door. She stepped into the rain, not bothered by the coldness of it on her already cold skin, and walked over to where Jasper and Jacob where. She turned to look at the dark boy and she was overcome with emotion. If vampires could cry, she would have been bawling.

"Thank you," was all she needed to say as they walked into the tiny house.

"Jasper, what's going on?" Jacob was getting impatient to hear the story. He studied Ophelia and one thing immediately hit him: she didn't smell like the others.

"This is Ophelia. She's...one of us, but she suffers from multiple personality syndrome. Sometimes she realizes what she is, but other times she believes she is human. Carlisle reckons that she's danger too and they....they want to kill her," he explained and was saddened by the thought of death. They had killed James a number of years ago, but this wasn't the same. James was evil....Ophelia wasn't.

"She's a vegetarian, right?"

"Of course. Carlisle turned her. That's why he knows about her....condition,"

"Oh. But how can we help you?" Jacob was still confused as to how he fit into any of this.

"Jacob- I know we haven't always gotten along. I know your pack doesn't agree with our coven, or any covens, but I need you to do me a huge favor. Please. I would never ask if this didn't mean everything to me," he sighed and ran a long, lean hand through his blond hair.

"Go on,"

"I need you to let Ophelia stay here for a couple of days...a week at the most,"

"That's all?"

"Yes."

"Has she....fed?"

"Today."

"She can stay here,"

"Thank you, so much," he let out the breath he was holding and looked over at Ophelia. She was just looking around, unsure of what to make anything. She caught his eye and smiled weakly.

"What's going to happen?"

"What do you mean?"

"After a few days. It's not like I can stay here forever," she sighed and crossed her legs.

"We'll go away and start a life together. I'll leave them. They're not my family if they want to kill you," Jasper shrugged and his expression hardened.

"Jasper- I don't want you to do that. They're your family, after all. I'm the outsider. I should leave,"

"No."

"Jazz, don't be silly,"

"Listen, Ophelia. I know them, and they're not like this. I don't know why they're doing this now and I don't like it. It's wrong and they won't see reason at this point,"

"But-"

"No, it's okay. I'm going to go back now and tell them that you're....dead. Then in a few days I'll come back for you and we'll go somewhere together," he said as he stood up and started pulling on his jacket.

"Jasper."

"Goodbye, Ophelia. I'll see you again, in a few days," he said quietly as he kissed her cheek and walked out, saying goodbye to the Sam and Jacob on the way out.

"I can't believe he's doing this," she sighed and put her face in her hands.

"He cares about you," Sam replied as he finally broke his silence and sat down on the couch.

"I can see that. But...too break ties with his family for this? It's his family, for goodness sake,"

"What are you saying?"

"I think he's making a mistake,"

"How?"

"He's choosing the wrong side. I'm the problem,"

"What are you going to do?"

"I don't know," she sighed and laid back in her chair. Sam raised his eyebrows and shrugged at her. She didn't know what to do or say either. This was getting way to complicated.
♠ ♠ ♠
:)
Not too be bitchy, but:
there's 90 subscribers, and I only get like one comment a chapter. Out of at least 90 who read this. I mean, come on! If you take the time to read it, you can spare a few seconds to comment!
Even if you hate it....

- Patricia