Status: finished.

Ophelia

Why?

The Cullens and Ophelia continued their discussion of their lifestyles and how they came to be for the rest of the afternoon. Ophelia was glad to hear that Carlisle had found himself a mate, especially since he had seemed so sad when she was with him. She noted the group's different dynamics and how they all interacted so much like a real family. Edward was the big brother, keep everyone out of trouble type, while Bella was typical worry wart sister of the group. Emmett was the joker, who only got serious when he needed too. Rosalie was the beauty queen, icy on the outside, but actually a truly nice person on once you got to know her.

Now Jasper, he was a different story. Ophelia wondered why he didn't have a mate like everyone else did, but because his siblings where around, she didn't want to make him feel awkward and weird. She noticed he was always second to his brothers: not the fastest like Edward, not the strongest or the funniest like Emmett. He was just Jasper and, as Ophelia noticed noticed, just there.

Jasper caught Ophelia staring at him. She had a small smile playing on her red lips, and felt her inquisitive nature. He calmed her down and lent a grin back at her.

"Carlisle and Esme are just about to be home," Edward shouted to the rest of the gang from where he was in the kitchen. His siblings nodded absentmindedly, but Ophelia was confused.

"How do you know that?" she asked. She didn't hear a phone ring, so she was sure they couldn't have called....

"I, uh, they just always come home at this time," Edward lied, not wanting to relinquish his, Bella, Nessie, and Jasper's gifts just yet.

"Oh, I see," she laughed a little but was still hyper aware that something was wrong. They seemed to be hiding something. Her thoughts were derailed as soon as they came to the surface when she heard a car pull into the garage.

Ophelia stood up and nervously smoothed her shirt and glanced at her reflection in the mirror. Her brilliant eyes were darker then she would have liked. She'd need to go hunting soon to keep herself sane.

"Nervous?" Jasper smiled from he too was now standing up. He tried to calm her down, but for some reason his "powers" weren't working as well as he'd like. He cocked his head slightly but decided to ignore the nagging feeling he was getting again.

"A little. It's weird seeing someone you haven't see in over 200 years," her laugh was beautiful and sparkling. It reminded Jasper of Alice. He suppressed the thought of his former mate and focused on the girl in front of him. She occupied his thoughts now.

"Hello everyone," Carlisle's smile was large as he and his wife walking into the sitting room where the rest of the family was.

"Hello, Carlisle," Edward smile coolly, "there's someone here to see you."

"And who would that be?"

"Me," Ophelia smiled and stepped out from where she was standing behind the family. She walked up to Carlisle and smiled warmly at him. In a lot of ways, this was the guy she considered her mentor and savior. He was the one who made her the way she was, lifestyle wise, and he was the one who got her through the pain.

"Ophelia," Carlisle said and seemed stunned. He couldn't believe the first person he had ever helped was standing right before. 258 years later. Carlisle paused for a beat and reached out his hand to shake hers. Ophelia noticed his slight hesitation.

"You seem surprised to see me," she commented as she quickly dropped his hand.

"I just didn't expect to see you again. It was so long ago and almost another world away," his smile was forced; dry.

"I felt England around the early 1800s. I've been around in America since. We were bound to find each other again sometime. Besides there aren't many of us around, are there?" she smiled and noticed the woman with Carlisle looking at her intently.

"I suppose you're right," he cleared his throat and pulled Esme closer to him, "this is my wife. Esme."

"It's a pleasure to meet you," Esme smiled and hugged her warmly. Ophelia stiffened up at first, it was the first time she had been hugged in a long time, but eventually gave into the embrace.

"It's nice to meet you too," Ophelia felt like something strange was happening. She looked around and noticed the family were all looking weirded out and confused. Her confidence was gone and she couldn't take being in the room anymore, "I'm sorry, I have to go."

"But Carlisle just-"

"I have to go," she repeated and dashed out the door. Jasper looked to see where she had went, but decided not to do after her. It wasn't like she would get hurt. He could always ask her what that was all about tomorrow.

"Carlisle...what was that all about?" Bella asked.

"Ophelia....she was the first person I had ever helped transition into being one of us. I remember distinctly. I had known her family, and her too when she was human. An affluent family with all the wrong priorities. She seemed since enough, but she was dangerously ill when she was human. No one knew about it back then, medicine was still so elementary, but I could tell she wasn't normal. When she was changed it seemed the problem went away, but after a while, it became more of a problem, more predominate," he sighed and sat down on the nearest overstuffed chair.

"What's wrong with Ophelia?"

"Haven't you noticed why your particular gifts don't appear to work correctly around her?"

"Yeah," Edward and Jasper looked at each other.

"Why do you think that is?"
♠ ♠ ♠
50[+] subscribers?! Damn.
I love you all! I was pretty bored today and happy that my laptop works again so I played around with Ophelia again.
Click HERE and HERE.
how about 5 comments for the next update? pleassse =]