Status: Active!

Saying Sorry Is The Least I Could Do

Chapter 2

Jake turned the corner into the alleyway, slipping on the puddle of mud. His dark jeans, now covered in mud, stuck to his legs like paint. He looked up, seeing Alyssa curled up in a ball by the stairs.

"Alyssa? Lyssa. What are you doing here?" Jake sat down beside Alyssa, putting an arm around her shoulders.

"It's so scary, Jake. I can't believe two years have gone by." Alyssa pulled her shirt off to the side, revealing a large scar, still very clearly visible.

"Does it hurt?"

Alyssa looked over to her best friend before looking back down at the scar. "No, not really. Only when I push down on it. Sometimes when I think about that day, too. Those are the only times." She picked up her head and saw Jake staring at it. "Looks weird, don't you think? Kind of looks like my birthmark I have on my leg."

"S-sorry," Jake stuttered, blushing. "I didn't mean to be rude and stare at it. It's just...you don't know how guilty I feel. How whenever I think about it, I'm constantly blaming myself."

Alyssa rested a hand on Jake's leg, causing him to retract from her. With a hurt look, she asked, "Jake, what's going on? You didn't do anything wrong. Believe me, Jake. It's only that bastard's fault."

Jake shook his head. "It's my fault that this whole accident happened. Do you really want to know what happened? Why every day I constantly blame myself?"

"Yes, Jake. I want to know."

Jake choked down a sob. "Okay. I remember like it was yesterday. It was July 28; bright and sunny. There was a very light breeze, almost warm enough to not even be considered a breeze. I was planning on taking you out to dinner to ask if you want to go o-I mean...since we'd been friends for so long, I just wanted to thank you for being there for me when I needed someone. If I had known what was going to happen..."

"Oh, Jake-..."

"-Let me finish. I decided against it, assuming you would 'drag' Kaedence along with you to the mall like you always do. I invited a few of the boys over to play Xbox 360. I told myself I'd give you a call when they all left. I remember getting ready to call you when...when I got the phone call from your mom." Jake broke into tears. "I could have called you, but I had to be so selfish. I'm so sorry, Alyssa."

Alyssa leaned over and kissed his cheek gently. "Don't you be sorry, Jake. It could have been anyone. I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. You're like my big brother and I'll always love you like one, no matter what you do." Jake blushed but soon received a wave of sorrow. She only liked him as a brother? Well...of course. She loves Kaedence; he doesn't love her back.

Refocusing his attention to Alyssa, he saw a small smirk on her face. Letting out a small laugh, he asked, "What are you smirking about, weirdo?"

"I think I should get a kiss in return. It's only fair."

Jake nodded, a tingle running down his spine. He leaned forward, brushing his lips against hers. As he pulled away, the feeling of her small delicate lips stayed on his.

"Thanks for being here for me. Want to go back and find Kaedence now?" She stood up, holding out her hand. Even though Jake was a bit hurt the kiss meant nothing, he grabbed it gently and followed her out of the alleyway and headed back to the cemetery.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay! Flashback's coming up in the next chapter.

I'd really appreciate some feedback of some sort. Thanks ^^

xxTamsin