Pushing My Limits

Quindici

With our arms linked like sisters, we walked up the driveway, "Why is Dad's car here?" Alex asked, her voice shaking.

"They're probably hanging out. It's Saturday and it's nice out so maybe they're barbecuing," I told her. She nodded and sighed, "Don't worry. Once we go in we'll head straight to my room to look for the wallet, okay?" I asked.

"Okay," She whispered.

I put my key in the lock and opened the door. We walked in and I nudged Alex so smile as if nothing were wrong. As we walked into the living room, we stopped in our tracks. Gena, Zacky, Dad, and Michelle all sat in the living room in silence. Zacky had his head in his hands and Gena was crying into Michelle's shoulder.

"Girls, please sit," Michelle said softly.

We sat down on the opposite couch and Alex latched herself onto me permanently. We sat in silence for a while before Zacky finally looked up, "What's going on, Alex?" He asked, but she bit her lips together, "Alex," he urged. She shook her head violently, tears cascading down her cheeks.

"Sweetie, why didn't you come to me?" Gena asked, her voice cracking as she held her husband's hand.

"She didn't want you to be disappointed," I answered for her.

"Kathrine, stay out of this please," Dad said to me.

"Dad, she doesn't feel too well. Why do we have to talk about this now?" I asked.

"Kathrine," Dad warned and I shook my head in anger.

"Is this why you wanted to come home?" Gena asked as Michelle handed her a tissue.

"Y-yes," Alex's tears weren't stopping any time soon, and I felt equally sorrowful for her.

"What the fuck is his name?" I've never seen Uncle Zack this mad before. His eyes were deep with angst and there was a growl in the back of his throat.

"Jared," She whispered.

"The boy you were telling me about?" Gena asked and Alex nodded.

"You knew?" Zacky turned to Gena, his hand ripping from hers.

"She had told me she liked this boy, Zack. I didn't know anything was going to come out of it," She explained.

"Alex, what were you thinking? Why would you even think about having sex at a young age?" Zacky asked.

I felt uncomfortable all of a sudden. I had sex at a young age, though it wasn't by choice. I felt awkward, and sweaty. I squirmed in my seat and prayed that this would all end soon.

"He told me it would be alright," Alex began to sob now, and as uncomfortable as I was, I pulled her into my arms and let her cry.

"Kathrine," Zacky turned to me, "I really do appreciate you helping her, but you should have come to us," He stated flatly.

"I wasn't going to do that. And I think I did the right thing," I replied.

"Don't be rude," Dad snapped and I turned to him and glared.

"I'm not trying to be rude. I'm stating my opinion."

"Regardless, this should have been something that Gena and I should have taken care of."

"Do you know what you're saying?" I was in complete shock, "She was pregnant and you had no money. She couldn't possibly think about telling you because she loves you too much. She did this for you guys," I spat at Zacky and Gena.

"Being pregnant isn't a game, Kat!" Zacky yelled.

"And what did you and Gena do when she was pregnant with Alex? You guys were what, seventeen? Did you go to your parents?" I asked, though I knew the answer, "No. You ran away to live with my parents because Mom was already pregnant with me. You were just as scared as she was."

"We would have been understanding," He shot back.

"You have no room to talk!" I yelled, "You have no idea what Alex has been through these past two months. She's been an emotional wreck, and have you noticed anything about it?"

"We knew something had to have been going on."

"And did you talk to her about it!?" I was on fire now. This was my specialty; yelling at people who just didn't understand, "Maybe if you were to sit down for a few moments to make her feel like it was okay, she would have told you! But no! I was the only one there for her!"

"Kathrine, I think you should go to your room," Dad said.

I stood up, tears in my eyes. Alex sat there, looking at me. Though she didn't exactly knew what was happening to me, she knew how I was feeling.

"Shut up, Dad because this applies to you too," I argued venomously, "If you were to just sit down and talk with your kid then maybe this wouldn't have happened. Maybe if you were to be around her more to assure your love for her, then you wouldn't be finding out this way."

"Kat, I don't know what you're trying to imply, but I've always been there for you," Dad spoke softly. I turned angrily towards him.

"No you haven't," I growled.

"You know, Kat. That's terrible you feel that way, but right now we're trying to deal with the fact that my daughter had an abortion," Zacky snapped.

"Let her talk, Dad!" Alex yelled.

"Zack, you have no idea what I've been through," I glared, my eyes tearing into his. I wanted to rip him apart. I wanted to release all of the anger I've felt for months and months.

"What, don't tell me you were pregnant too," He replied.

"Hey! I don't give a fuck what you think, but I won't have you talk to my daughter like that," Dad turned to my uncle.

"Well obviously some thing's bothering her, Matt! Maybe that's why she's a fuck up in school now! Maybe that's why she's failing half of her classes!"

They both stood up, glaring at each other. The tension in the room was high and I stood there beside Alex, holding her hand the whole time. She needed support, and if it wasn't going to come from her parents, I would give it to her.

"I think you should go, Zack," Dad muttered darkly.

"Good. I don't want my daughter influenced by yours anymore," Zack growled. Gena gently took Alex from my side and led her out to the front door. Zacky pushed by Dad and left silently, leaving me, him, and Michelle.

"I can't do this with you anymore, Val!" Daddy yelled, throwing his hands in the air.

"Neither can I, Matt! You're the one who's blowing this out of proportion!" Mom screamed back.

"I never intended for you and Kathrine to be alone, but I have to do my job," Dad stated.

"Yeah, because you have to go be Mr. Rockstar. Let me ask you, Matt, does music come before your family?"

"Don't even imply that, Val," He pointed a finger at her.

"Well does it!? Sure, you've given us everything from a beautiful house to four shiny cars outside, but material things can't guy love."

"I'm not trying to buy anything. You should know that I love both of you."

"Both of us or just Kathrine?"

"Val," Daddy tried to reach for her but she moved away. She was crying now.

"I want a divorce, Matthew. I want a divorce and I'm taking Kathrine with me," She stated softly, yet strong.

"You can have your shitty divorce, but you're not taking my daughter."

"She's my daughter too, and if you're not going to put her before the band, then you shouldn't deserve her."

"I will always put Kathrine before any thing else in this world."

"Is that why you missed her birthday this year and last? Or how about the three Christmases and Thanksgivings?"

"Don't go there, Valary."

"I will go there Matt, because I'm proving a point."


I sat on my bed, Michelle staring at me as I tried to stop the tears. My legs were pulled into my chest, my chin resting on my knees, "You're loyalty to your cousin reminds me of your Mom," She smiled, brushing a piece of hair out of my eyes.

"How?" I asked.

"Well, in high school if anyone ever messed with me, she was always by my side. Every fight, every argument, and every person," She explained and I smiled, "You look so much like her."

"Doesn't that mean I would look like you too?" I asked and she laughed.

"You're Mom has a beauty that no one else on this planet has besides you," She smiled before kissing my forehead.

"I love you, Aunt Michelle," I said.

"I love you too, Kathrine," She said before turning off my light and shutting my door behind her.