Pushing My Limits

Diciotto

Matt turned the phone over in his hands, hating that he was in this position. He didn't want to make the dreaded phone call, but he knew someone had to do it, "Michelle, why can't you do it? She's your sister," He pleaded and she shook her head.

"This doesn't concern me anymore, Matt. As much as I love, Kat, you need to figure things out with Val."

Matt put his head in his hands as he dialed the number he had tried to forget.

Val scrambled for her phone as she was trying to tie her bathing suit top on all at once. Managing to tie a quick knot, she glanced at the caller i.d. and her stomach dropped. She hadn't seen Matt's name appear on her cell phone screen in so long, it almost seemed unreal. She quickly decided what to think of, and in the process, the phone stopped.

She sighed a sigh as a relief as Matt was dialing again. Soon enough, the phone rang again and Val cursed herself. She composed herself before answering, "Hello," She answered in a smooth voice.

"Val?" She heard his voice. It almost seemed another language to her.

"Hey, Matt," She replied softly as Matt put his head in his hands at the sound of his ex-wife's voice.

"Something's happened," He muttered and Val sighed.

"She's with me," She managed to mumble out and Matt's head snapped up in shock.

"She's what?" Matt's sudden outburst had caused the friends surrounding him to lean in closer to understand the conversation.

"I said she's with me," Val stated again, though Matt was dumbfounded.

"Why would she leave me and go to you?" He asked and she scowled.

"Well, for starters I am her mother," She snapped.

"I think I know that much Valary," He had shot back.

"If you're calling to argue, then I'm hanging up."

"Please," Val stopped herself from snapping the phone shut, "Let me talk to her," Val bit her lip nervously, as she knew that her daughter was still driving with a nineteen year old around Palm Springs.

"She's too upset right now, Matt," She managed to cover up, but Matt was too stubborn to let the subject go.

"I need to talk to her. If not, then I'm driving down there," He growled.

"If you do, I won't let you past the gate," She challenged.

"Why are you making this so difficult, Val? You know I have full custody."

"She's fifteen and can make her own decisions. If she doesn't wish to talk, then she doesn't have to."

"How did she get down there anyways?"

"The bus. I met her halfway in Corona."

"This isn't fair."

"You aren't fair, Matt," She put a hand on her hip and her eyes distorted in anger, "I'm doing the best I can with her, and if you want everything to be alright then you should let me handle things."

"But I'm her father."

"And what the fuck am I?" Matt sighed and ran a hand through his hair.

"I'm driving down there," He stated.

"You do that and she'll send you right back."

"I'll get the police. You can be charged with kidnapping."

"And you would do that to me, Matthew?"

There was a thick pause through the phone. Matt's grip had tightened as he knew the answer to that question.

"When can I see her?"

"When she's ready."

"And what about school?" He demanded.

"I've already signed her up on line and for a singing group here in the community," Matt scoffed.

"You don't even know you're own daughter," He spat, "Like she even sings anymore."

"Well she sang for me last time," She replied and Matt's heart nearly stopped.

"You're lying," He said flatly.

"Why the fuck would I lie about that?" She was unaware of the problems that had been happening between her daughter and ex-husband.

"What did she sing?" He asked softly, tears beginning to fall from his eyes.

"I'll Be There," She stated and Matt shook his head, trying to wipe away at his face to hide evidence of his weakness, "I'll call you later, Matt."

Val hung up the phone as Matt kept it to his ear, still not believing a single word he she had just said. Slowly, he set the phone down and removed the sunglasses from his eyes, "What's going on?" Gena asked and Matt shook his head.

"She went to stay with Val," He answered and everyone's eyes became a little saddened at their friend's betrayal, but lightened at the fact that Kathrine was spending time with her mother.

"It can't be that bad. I mean, she is her mom. You can't blame her," Brian said softly.

"You don't understand," Matt paused, "The last time Kathrine was there was a few weekends ago..." He trailed off.

"And? What's the problem with that?" Johnny asked.

"Val said Kathrine sang to her."

^^^^^

The car pulled up to the gate and I leaned out the window, across Chris, and pressed the button. After a few moments, there was some static before Mom's voice rang through the night, "Kathrine, is that you?" She sounded worried. I sighed and pressed the button again.

"It's me, Mom," I replied.

The gate opened and Chris drove inside, it shutting behind us. The community was quiet, only a few lights on inside the various houses. Coming to the end of the street, Chris pulled into the driveway and killed the engine.

I got out of the car and Mom was standing there in casual jeans and a sweatshirt. At the sight of me, she rushed over and took me in her arms, "Thank God you're alright," She breathed.

"I told you it would be fine, Mom," I reminded her, but she held me in her arms still.

"I was so worried," She pulled out of her grasp and smiled at me.

Chris had walked over and set my bags down to hold a hand out to Mom, "I'm Chris," She introduced and she shook his hand.

"Thank you for driving her," She paused, "And keeping her safe," She added and he smiled.

"It's alright. Anything for Kathrine," He grinned and wrapped an arm around me and Mom smiled.

"Would you like to come inside for coffee before you get back to driving?" She asked.

"No thanks. I have a brother waiting at home and I really need to get back," He declined then turned to me, "If you need anything call me," He instructed and I nodded. He pulled me into a tight hug, and I didn't want to let go. I had just got Chris back, and apart of me wanted to stay with him forever. I didn't want to lose him again.

I didn't watch him drive away, only because I didn't want to cry. I've had enough crying for the past few days, and I just wanted a break.

Rosa helped my with my bags and cleaned up my room for me. After simply throwing my clothes in organized piles around the room, I trudged downstairs to find Mom at the counter with a mug in her hands as she flipped through some sort of magazine, "So," She caught my attention, "What happened?" She asked and I sighed.

Sitting down at the counter, Mom slid over a pint of Ben and Jerry's as I began my story. I told her everything from my failing grades, to Alexandra's pregnancy, to me not singing, to Jimmy's illness, and to Dad's carelessness.

"Your father loves you very much, Kat, and don't you forget that," Mom told me when I had finished.

"I know he does... But sometimes I wish things didn't need to be spelled out for him to notice," I replied and she laughed.

"I know how you feel," She smiled and I giggled, "According to my Mother Instincts, something tells me that something happened over tour," She said before taking a sip of her coffee.

"It's too much, Mom," I put my head in my hands.

"Well, if it was enough to make straight-A's D's and F's, then I assume it's serious. If you need time, Baby, it's alright. Come to me when you're comfortable," She put a hand over mine and I nodded.

"It'll be soon, Mom. I just need time to get everything straight. It's hard to say certain things," I told her and she sighed.

"We all have to go through something, Kat."
♠ ♠ ♠
sadly, this will be my last update until monday. i'll be in san fransisco performing in the heritage festival for choir. the trip is four days and our return time is sunday around midnight.

i'll be back before you know it!!! :)