Pushing My Limits

Ventitré

"I didn't do anything!" Chris yelled, waiting to pounce over the metal table.

"Then tell us about Elizabeth Greenway!" The detective yelled.

"I'm not saying shit," Chris spat. The older man angrily threw a manila folder onto the table.

"This is your record, Kid. If you don't give anything up, we'll charge you for holding evidence, attempted kidnapping, and attempted murder," He threatened.

"I told Kathrine I'd protect her. Do what you want," Chris answered.

"You're making a mistake, Kid." With that, the door slammed and Chris sat in silence until the door opened once again. He looked up to see two familiar faces. They both sat down in front of him and he tilted his head to the side.

"Do you know what it's like to wonder if you'll ever see someone again? Do you ever feel as if you'll never have them in your arms? Do you know what it's like to not know where they are?" Jacoby asked.

"As a matter of fact," Chris glanced at him, "I do."

"This isn't a joke, Kid," Matt growled.

"And you think I don't know that!" Chris snapped, the cuffs pulling on his wrist as he tried to move.

"Tell us what you know and we can get you out of here," Jacoby sounded more like he was begging than trying to convince him to talk.

"I won't say a word without Kathrine's permission," Chris replied.

"And what gives you the right? Huh?" Matt slammed his fists on the table.

"I'm protecting her!" Chris yelled.

"Protecting her? Why don't you leave that to her father," He spat.

"Yes. I'm the one keeping her away from Elliot. I'm making sure if that bastard comes back, she'll be safe," Chris replied.

"So now you're going to pin this on that poor kid," Coby glared.

"Oh, you think I'm the one who kidnapped Elizabeth. Even though I'm the one that saved Kathrine's life not too long ago!" Chris yelled and Matt held back the urge to punch him.

"You tried to hurt my daughter," He growled.

"I didn't do shit. And if you want answers, talk to Kathrine. She's the only person that matters to me right now."

^^^^^

"W-What?" Alex asked, slightly backing up towards the door.

"She's gone," I sobbed.

"H-How?" She questioned.

"Elliot murdered her," I whispered.

"Kathrine, why haven't you told the police!?" Alex exclaimed and I cried.

"You don't know what it's like witnessing someone die!" I yelled and her face softened.

"You saw it?" She asked softly.

"I saw her get beaten, raped, beaten again, and finally I watched her die," I spat- more towards myself than her.

"This is why you've been changing," Alex sat down beside me on the bed. I nodded and she leaned forward, wrapping her arms around me, just as I had the day she told me she was pregnant, "It'll be okay," She whispered.

"Something else happened," I choked out.

"What is it?" She asked.

"I can't tell you," I sobbed harder. I couldn't manage to force the words out of my mouth.

As we held each other, the door opened slightly and Gena's head poked inside, "Kathrine... Jimmy is here to see you. He really wants to talk to you," She said softly. Alex sat up and wiped away my tears and walked out of the room. In her replacement, Jimmy walked inside and sat on the chair beside my bed, looking at the wall.

He seemed to be getting better. He wasn't as pale and he seemed to be a healthy weight, "You feel like you're trapped- like there's no way out," He started, still looking at the wall, "So you try to find other ways to release. When drinking didn't work, you try something new. Eventually, it becomes too much and you find another way to escape," He paused, "You try to kill yourself," He whispered softly and turned to make eye contact with me.

"How did you know?" I asked.

"I'm a smart guy when I want to be, Kat. I've noticed the bottles having less and less liquor every time I went over... and I knew it wasn't your dad that was drinking," He said softly. Of course. The day he dropped me off from school, he helped himself to a beer and saw the bottles as evidence.

"I couldn't help it," I said and he shrugged.

"You started slipping away and everything built up. Something triggered your last breath, Kat, and you decided to drown yourself," His voice was still soft. Not a hint of anger.

"After feeling the water crushing me... I suddenly didn't want it anymore," I replied and he nodded.

"I think you should tell me everything you know about Elizabeth Greenway, and we can try to make things better," He said, "Also the part about what personally happened to you," He added.

"How did you know..." I trailed off.

"Someone hurting as much as you couldn't just be hurting for someone else," He said knowingly, "Where's Elizabeth?" He asked and I shook my head, tears filling my eyes. He had realized what happened, "She's dead isn't she?" And I nodded. He put his head down and sighed, "Where is she buried?"

"Denver," I choked out and he nodded.

"The reason why you wanted to come with us to those shows," He spoke to himself before turning to me once again, "How did it happen?"

"Elliot beat her then murdered her," I replied. I couldn't add the part about rape. I didn't want to think about it.

"What else happened, Kathrine?" He asked and I shook my head, tears spilling down my red cheeks, "I need to know what happened to you," He whispered.

"I can't," I sobbed and he sighed.

"How about we make a deal," He leaned forward.

"What kind of deal?" I asked.

"If I make it through cancer alive, you have to tell me what happened."

Little did I know, that Jimmy wasn't making a deal at all. Jimmy was simply bluffing me out to agree. And that he knew he was going to live all along.
♠ ♠ ♠
maybe about two or three chapters left.