Status: complete :)

I Want Someone to Love Me for Who I Am

Chapter 2

I ran to the nearest bathroom, where I guessed Cameron would go to hide. Despite running there, I slowed to a walk when I approached the door. I slowly opened the door and peered inside. I didn't see anything so I walked further inside hesitantly. "Hello?" I called out, my voice soft. I heard a slight gasp and I frowned and followed the sound. I stood outside the only closed stall door and knocked. "Are you okay?" I asked softly, cautiously.
"Leave me alone," he said and I frowned sympathetically. Instead of leaving, I sat on the floor, leaning back against the door. It was silent for a while, except Cameron's occasional sniffles. I wanted to help him, but I didn't know how.
"It's okay to cry, you know," I said gently after a long while.
"I'm not crying!" he said angrily but I could tell that he was so I didn't say anything. We sat silently for a short while. "Why don’t they like me?" he whispered. I didn't know if he was asking himself or if he was asking me. I decided to reply anyway.
"They don't always have a reason," I told him. "They've been bullying me since we started school. And they didn't have a reason to pick me over anyone else."
"But...I just wanted them to like me," he said, his voice shaking slightly.
"I know," I whispered. And I did know. The thing I most wanted was to be accepted. But I'd accepted it was going to never happen.

I suddenly heard the lock slide across and before I realised what had happened I was lying flat on my back staring up at Cameron, who was looking at me, one eyebrow raised. I looked up at him for a second before quickly sitting up again. "Warn me next time," I muttered while my cheeks turned red.
"Sorry," he grinned. It was then I realised that he was smiling, grinning. And I'd done that. I'd made him feel better. I'd made him feel happy.
"I'm Andrew," I told him and he smiled.
"Cameron," he said and I nodded. I didn't want to tell him I already knew what he name was, in case he thought it was weird that I'd already learnt his name.
"So, do you want to go back to class?" I asked him and he shrugged.
"I guess," he said and I smiled softly. I wanted to reach out and take his hand to comfort him, but I knew I shouldn’t. I mean, boys don’t hold other boys' hands. "Now they've decided not to like me either, we can be outcasts together," he grinned at me, the idea clearly bringing him happiness. I smiled and nodded.
"Sure," I smiled. "I suppose we're safer being the two of us than both of us on our own." Cameron smiled and nodded.
"Thank you, Andrew," Cameron said, smiling slightly.
"For what?" I asked him, confused.
"For coming to check on me. That was nice of you," he said and I could feel my cheeks turning a light red colour.
"Oh, no problem," I smiled and we turned and went back to class.

We then left the bathroom and headed back to our classroom. I heard Cameron take a deep breath but I didn't say anything, in case he didn't want to talk about it. I didn't really know what I should do. We then walked back through the door and the populars all turned to us and smirked slightly. "Oh, look who it is," one boy said. "Fatty and the freak." I lowered my head but didn't let it get to me. But I knew Cameron was hurt. I just carried on walking and I knew Cameron was behind me, following. I sat in my usual seat at the back of the room.
"Can I sit with you?" he asked me. On the inside I was grinning, but I just smiled and nodded at Cameron. No one had ever wanted to sit with me before. The desk next to me had been empty forever.

Once Cameron had sat next to me I realised that it was nice to be sitting next to someone. It was nice to have a friend.
♠ ♠ ♠
comment??